Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dave

Re: Association of Parasites upset about 'do-not-track' default

Top admen beg Microsoft to switch off 'Do Not Track' in IE 10

quote:
Microsoft is in hot water with big-brand advertisers over its implementation of Do-Not-Track by default in the latest iteration of its Internet Explorer browser. The ad-slingers say Internet Explorer 10’s Do-Not-Track feature will hurt advertisers, consumers and competition.
I give high marks to MS for finally giving IE users first dibs on the ability of out-of-the-box non tracking protection.

quote:
For advertisers, IE10 will potentially block their ability to collect data on 43 per cent of netizens in the US using Microsoft’s browser – that statistic is IE’s current market share in the US according to StatCounter.
This is a good thing assumng DNT doesn't cripple anyone's ability to use sites like this one as you normally would.
Sites that you visit often for a look-see that datamine you, why would you want to give those sites the ability to know you other than the referrer header of your IP and Browser, that's assuming you don't accept cookies.

quote:
Thirty-nine ANA members have put their names to the letter, including AT&T, Dell, Ford Motor Company, IBM, Intel, Kellogg, Nestle, McDonalds and Wal-Mart.
The above and many Fortune 500 companies want your data as many have or are already mediaphiles who online bank, shop, etc. Not to mention social networking but we won't go there.

ANA goes on to say:
quote:
If Microsoft moves forward with this default setting, it will undercut the effectiveness of our members’ advertising and, as a result, drastically damage the online experience by reducing the Internet content and offerings that such advertising supports. This result will harm consumers, hurt competition, and undermine American innovation and leadership in the internet economy.
Member of ... your ability to stay on the cash-cow datamining consortium ? Count me in, where do I sign up ?

My .02

Article

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dave

I don't know all the technicalities of "do not track" but my understanding is that it's the equivalent of asking a stalker, nicely, to stop. Personally I prefer a .45ACP
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

MagnusM
Premium
join:2001-07-07

It's just an extra HTTP header line that looks like this: DNT: 1. It's up to the web site owner to decide whether or not he wants to abide by the request.

--
Mischel Internet Security - Developer of TrojanHunter

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

Yup. In other words it's almost completely useless.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

MagnusM
Premium
join:2001-07-07

1 recommendation

reply to dave

It could unfortunately make a lot of stats tools such as Google Analytics completely useless if for example Google were to drop stats for every user who sends this header. Many, many sites rely on Google Analytics (including ours) and so I'm not sure it's a great idea if we're heading in that direction. Like you say, the malicious web sites will just ignore the header.
--
Mischel Internet Security - Developer of TrojanHunter

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

Right..even this forum uses Google Analytics and it is good stuff.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Perhaps. But the parasites can no longer claim that "consumers" "want" their scrofulous offerings. It might not be much, but it's a first step. Maybe in a while we can get some legal teeth behind it. Meanwhile, our position is explicit in "DNT: 1", and it is clear that a business that ignores this header is intent on fucking us over.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

until the class action is filed.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to dave

said by dave:

But of course their only concern is the quality of the 'online experience'.

Of course, they're concerned about their 'online experience', not mine.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

said by NormanS:

said by dave:

But of course their only concern is the quality of the 'online experience'.

Of course, they're concerned about their 'online experience', not mine.

Obviously...

It's similar to contemporary TV. I'm sick and tired of TV ads, showing me every 5 min as some one gobbles that f*ng burger or pizza or suggests me "Ask you doctor" for a million time. But some may say - it's a "great TV experience"...

it will undercut the effectiveness of our members’ advertising and, as a result, drastically damage the online experience by reducing the Internet content and offerings that such advertising supports. This result will harm consumers, hurt competition, and undermine American innovation and leadership in the Internet economy.

Oh, babe. Please hurt my online experience and remove all your dumb ads, I beg you...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to dave

I'm curious as to why the Ad Industry believes that Microsoft Corporation is under any obligation, legal or otherwise, to make it easy for ad companies to track users.

They want an "ad friendly" browser (or more so)? Then write one and publish it. I for one will not be joining the hordes of consumers, afraid about the imminent decline of quality content, who will download and install it. But I'm sure that's just me.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Ian:

I'm curious as to why the Ad Industry believes that Microsoft Corporation is under any obligation, legal or otherwise, to make it easy for ad companies to track users.

Those advertisers are likely customers of Microsoft Corporation as well. And that will drive the ultimate decision. Some Microsoft customers want privacy for themselvels. Some Microsoft customers want to invade the privacy of others. Who spends the most with Microsoft Corporation? (Of course, there's a little PR involved as well - "we protect Mom and Pop" is worth a little).

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

To be honest I'm much more concerned with what Bob (the NSA et al) collects, stores and analyzes.

It's getting so Bob can get everything he wants from private business simply by writing a check.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

... and then we face budget deficit problem caused by the Bob every year
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by OZO:

... and then we face budget deficit problem caused by the Bob every year

don't worry; he'll smuggle some controlled substance or another from the third world and then sell it in some slum or another over here.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--