uniqs

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee

Re: DTV illegal in Canada? What is the legal justification?

said by WhaleOilBee:

I was born in the United States. This law denies me my cultural heritage. Think it will fly?

...You're free to go back to the US . That's what will fly....

It sucks...but this is a really really OLD topic....It was good times in the 90s though....remember when IPGs were the BIG THING?....I remember being able to cycle through my friends DirecTV sub and seeing what is on....that was pretty amazing....now its like bleh...

As others have said, there are ways around it...you have to put in the time and homework, and I'm pretty sure nobody's going to call you out on it...

They're not licensed as BDUs in Canada so therefore services cannot be offered....you have to be a BDU to offer service....

To the poster who said Cable co's pay the US networks for service, that's completely false...

Cable co X (usually Shaw through what they used to call Cancom) pulls in that signal OTA from somewhere near the US border, uplinks it to their satellite and then downlinks it back to their Cable BDU's, or downlinks it to Shaw's centre in either Mississauga or Calgary I think, and then uplinks that US station back up to F1 or F2R or whatever bird is up there these days....and then your dish is pointed at it and pulls the signal back down....

Very mundane process, but that's how your OTA signal goes, Shaw doesn't directly pay the US broadcaster for this...simply the equipment required to do all this uplink/downlink and conversion...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to OHSrob

to OHSrob
said by OHSrob:

said by scorpido:

There are a million ways to still subscribe. If you have family in the states or just buy a post office box.

Illegally leaching off a family members account is illegal.

If your not an American living in america you cannot legaly have american tv service.

Thread from CanChat: »Satellite question

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

The topic was pretty well covered, but one argument wasn't addressed - "if you pay for it, it can't be illegal." What about crystal meth? You have to pay for that too, but the forces of law and order might have some issues with you having any amount on your person
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to eeeaddict

to eeeaddict
said by eeeaddict:

what if your an american who is visiting family and you bring over your own equipment (legally subscribed of course) and use it at a canadian address for like 1 month? What would that be considered as?

Illegal. I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone tried to pursue the matter, but technically someone could.

Also likely violating the TOS for using it at an address other than the one listed on the subscription, but that's a completely different issue.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by eeeaddict:

what if your an american who is visiting family and you bring over your own equipment (legally subscribed of course) and use it at a canadian address for like 1 month? What would that be considered as?

Illegal. I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone tried to pursue the matter, but technically someone could.

Also likely violating the TOS for using it at an address other than the one listed on the subscription, but that's a completely different issue.

So you are an American and have sat tv on your boat and you sail into Canada and dock. Somebody better call the Mounties quick to seize your gear cuz you're watching some American channel because, after all, the RCMP is just Robellus's private enforcers.

It's like the whole Canadians are crossing the border to take cheaper flights thing. If Air Canada gets their way it would be illegal for Canadians to take cheap US flights (like Robellus got on sat tv). Instead, the talk in the newspapers now is about finding a way to lower costs to Canadians. But that'll NEVER come to sat tv service discussions in Canada.
bt
canada

1 edit

bt

said by MaynardKrebs:

So you are an American and have sat tv on your boat and you sail into Canada and dock. Somebody better call the Mounties quick to seize your gear cuz you're watching some American channel because, after all, the RCMP is just Robellus's private enforcers.

Miss the part about nobody bothering to pursue it? Or just willingly ignoring it in the name of hysterics and hyperbole?

In other words, that won't happen. The police have more important things to deal with. Call 911 with something like that and you'd be more likely to get a fine for misuse of 911 services than they would be to send someone out. Call the non-emergency lines would, in the best case, result in a polite dismissal of your "concerns". Suggesting otherwise is just so over the top stupid it's incredible.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Im in Ontario, Canada and I have a dish net subscription. I could care less about Bell loosing money. Maybe once they offer something worth paying for i might buy Canadian but until then I will gladly pay dish network for 1080p hd broadcasts. I can get my local channel on otadtv.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

FWIW:

My understanding is that the box updates either via internet or phone line, how are you getting around that?

Or are they still mailing cards to your US address?
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

My understanding is that the box updates either via internet or phone line, how are you getting around that?

$1.50/month voip.ms US number call forwarded to a Canadian POTS line perhaps?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

$1.50/month voip.ms US number call forwarded to a Canadian POTS line perhaps?

I have a US address so It'd be super easy for me to do this, if that's all it takes.

US_TV_ROCKS
@start.ca

US_TV_ROCKS to El Quintron

Anon

to El Quintron
I have a dirctv subscription and updates are streamed via the satellite right to the box. No phone or internet required.
As it's already been stated, there are ways around that if it was required.

With respect to this topic: My "felony intemperance with a business model" doesn't really make me feel like a criminal. I could care less about Bell or Rogers. The CRTC and the Canadian government need to start respecting peoples rights to choose what they watch, read and listen to. They force Canadian content on us at every turn. A lot of it isn't worthy.
Open up the boarders and let the market sort it out. People will choose the better product and the better value. There is very little value in Canadian satellite and cable offerings.

Disclaimer: I also subscribe to Shaw Direct for the Canadian content that *I CHOOSE* to watch.
johnkim
join:2011-10-01

johnkim to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

The topic was pretty well covered, but one argument wasn't addressed - "if you pay for it, it can't be illegal." What about crystal meth? You have to pay for that too, but the forces of law and order might have some issues with you having any amount on your person

I don't want to get into the debate of the drug policy but ask any normal person that you can go to jail if you subscribe to Dish/DTV (nasdaq symbol of directv), they will think it is insane.

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by johnkim:

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

If nothing else, this thread tells you why things are the way they are. It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Please don't send me back, I promise to behave.

I wonder though, if I were some minority, and the government didn't allow me to watch programming from my former homeland if that would fly.
said by nitzguy:

Cable co X (usually Shaw through what they used to call Cancom) pulls in that signal OTA from somewhere near the US border, uplinks it to their satellite and then downlinks it back to their Cable BDU's, or downlinks it to Shaw's centre in either Mississauga or Calgary I think, and then uplinks that US station back up to F1 or F2R or whatever bird is up there these days....and then your dish is pointed at it and pulls the signal back down....

Very mundane process, but that's how your OTA signal goes, Shaw doesn't directly pay the US broadcaster for this...simply the equipment required to do all this uplink/downlink and conversion...

Are you sure? That sounds pretty low-tech and would only work for OTA networks ( ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS ). How would they get CNN and the other premium US channels that aren't broadcast OTA if they didn't get a digital feed from the source network?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by WhaleOilBee:

said by nitzguy:

Please don't send me back, I promise to behave.

I wonder though, if I were some minority, and the government didn't allow me to watch programming from my former homeland if that would fly.
said by nitzguy:

Are you sure? That sounds pretty low-tech and would only work for OTA networks ( ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS ). How would they get CNN and the other premium US channels that aren't broadcast OTA if they didn't get a digital feed from the source network?

In regards to your first point...you'd only be able to argue if there was a channel that wasn't available that was only available in the US ...otherwise I think you might have a point...otherwise, there is probably a "Canadian equivalent"...

The process is 'low tech' ...similiar process for non-OTA channels....

CNN in Atlanta posts up to...ugh I can't remember the name of the Sattelite ...

The satellite in question is Galaxy 25. CNN at their uplink centre in Atlanta,GA, uplinks their broadcast signal to the Galaxy 25 satellite sitting at 93.1W in Geostationary orbit @ 0 degrees N. (CNN USA East feed in this instance).

Bell/Shaw Direct have dishes at their downlink/uplink headends that are pointed at 93.1W, and with appropriate equipment and dishes pull the signal down, do their magic with it, and then uplink it back to the appropriate Anik/Nimiq satellite....I'm not figuring where they are going as that's not important ...

Then your dish is pointed as those satellites, and that's how you pull it into your home....

Isn't technology wonderful? Before we had to use very old and not 100% reliable microwave technology.....not that satellites are 100% fool-proof themselves, mechanical failures and potential solar radiation can damage them and its not like you can send a service guy out to fix them....

CBC's nationwide network was via microwave signal back in the 50s I believe....maybe before that....different way of doing a similiar thing, except every 20km or so they'd have a microwave dish (which looks like a drum if you look at it from the side) and it would repeat and reconstitute the signal and send it to the next microwave tower and so on and so forth....they had to be on complete LOS though otherwise you lost the signal...which is why it made it difficult to bring across the country, especially in places with rugged terrain and with inaccessible hydro...

HTH

Ryan
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

One of the major uplink sites is in McGregor, ON (just outside of Windsor). That's why you get Detroit stations like WDIV, WXYZ, WBJK, WWJ and WTVS in various parts of Canada. They just grab it OTA with an antenna and uplink it.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to johnkim

to johnkim
"If one pays for it, how can you say it is illegal?"

Uh.. Do we really have to answer that question? If I pay for a bag of weed does that make it legal?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by battleop:

Uh.. Do we really have to answer that question? If I pay for a bag of weed does that make it legal?

Already mentionned upthread:

»Re: DTV illegal in Canada? What is the legal justification?

But thanks for coming out.

battleop

battleop

Please show me where this is mentioned ABOVE my reply. Not at the very bottom of the page...

Then again if it makes you feel superior that you have pointed out something that I have missed above my post then by all means continue to gloat.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I always pay for my politicians in cash ...... golfing is for amateurs.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

Please show me where this is mentioned ABOVE my reply. Not at the very bottom of the page...

If you had bothered reading the thread before spouting off you would've noticed this was covered on the last page.

Not that I would prevent from trying to re-visit that angle if you chose to do so.

battleop

battleop

Last page? As far as I can tell this thread this topic is a single page.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by battleop:

Last page? As far as I can tell this thread this topic is a single page.

It's three pages long, this is the third.

battleop

battleop

If you follow the link from the front page there is nothing that indicates there is more than one page to this thread.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by battleop:

If you follow the link from the front page there is nothing that indicates there is more than one page to this thread.

I don't know about you, but I see "page: 1 2 3" at the top and botton of the topic. I was wondering why you hadn't read the entire topic, honestly.

battleop

battleop

Click for full size
It appears as a single page.
bt
canada

bt

said by battleop:

....something is going screwy for you. I'm seeing it as 3 pages as well.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by bt:

said by battleop:

....something is going screwy for you. I'm seeing it as 3 pages as well.

He must have something different set in his preferences in his profile. I'm seeing it as 3 pages too. Either way, the distinction between "above" and "a few pages back" is bordering on pedantic when referring to a previous part of the current thread of conversation in a topic.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Click for full size
See Topics/Posts per page ... for me this thread is 2 pages long!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

LOL! I'm at one page too!

Simple answer to question. Illegal, yes, will you ever be charged? No. It's like breaking the speed limit. You do 3 over the limit, illegal, yes, will you ever be pulled over and charged, no. Not if your paperwork is in order anyway.

The cheaper prices and better content make US providers look attractive.