All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to nwrickert

to nwrickert

Re: SSID disappears

It's happened with two different routers, same model though.

Just happened again. Can see five other networks just not mine. No way to see it unless I turn off and then turn on wireless on the router.

How can it be a problem with my laptop? Or how can it not be a problem with the router?

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Using NetworkManager on linux, if I disconnect from a network then I cannot see the SSID again. It's a NetworkManager bug (I think a fix may have come through recently).

So it can be a software problem.

I take my faulty router, and connect to it when the SSID is showing. Later, the router stops broadcasting. But some of my Windows systems still show the SSID. They seem to cache a lot of information and not rescan often enough.

All of this makes it rather difficult to know what is happening.

There are tools that will scan and tell you what they see, even identifying hidden networks. You might need one of those to debug what is happening.

The same problem with two different routers makes it more likely to be a software/firmware problem in the router or a software problem on your laptop, than a hardware problem in the router. But guessing only gets you so far. You probably need a scanning tool (i.e. software) to track this down.
baess

baess

I found a thread on the Netgear forum where a few others with the same model router having the same problem. One person claims it happens when the router assigns a new IP (or is it the laptop assigning the new IP). It was suggested to assign a static IP but that is getting out of my comfort zone.

He resolved it by changing the security setting on the router which only allows Up to 54Mbps, so essentially making the router G insteasd of N. I think that is ridiculous to expect me to do that to a brand new router if that is really the issue.

Checking other things off, my two different routers each have had different Firmware versions so I don't think that is the problem.

So what software issue could it be on the laptop? It is brand new. Is it something related to IP settings?

I will try another brand of router (the store is going to think I am insane,, buying and returning so many items) and if it happens then it has to be the laptop.

Still if it was really a router issue I would think there would be many more posts, this is a popular router.

BTW I'm right up the Fox river from you.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

What device do they want you to assign a static IP? If it is the laptop then that is easy with no bad ramifications and is certainly easier then returning another router.

If they want you assign a staitic ip to the router itself - then the ISP needs to assign you a static IP which may carry more cost to you.
baess

baess

said by CylonRed:

What device do they want you to assign a static IP? If it is the laptop then that is easy with no bad ramifications and is certainly easier then returning another router.

If they want you assign a staitic ip to the router itself - then the ISP needs to assign you a static IP which may carry more cost to you.

This is what was said: Try static ip on laptop outside the DHCP range of router

So I assume that is the laptop. Googled it but still not sure how to do it. If you have suggestions I'd appreciate it.

And I guess I wonder why I would have to do it with a new router and laptop? Which is really at fault?

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to baess

Mod

to baess
said by baess:

BTW I'm right up the Fox river from you.

But probably not within WiFi range.

It is looking more like a router firmware issue.

Assigning a static IP outside the DHCP range would probably be a setting you would make in your laptop, rather than on the router. Just pick an IP that's a little outside the DHCP range, and assign that. I used to do that at one time, though only with wired. The router was giving out 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.50, so I picked 192.168.1.100 and assigned that.
baess

baess

I've spent hours studying the router settings, laptop settings and Googling and I can't help but think there is some setting that is messing things up. But what it is is beyond me.

Two different versions of the same router w/ two different firmwares having the same issue seems coincidental.

I think I will just get a different router and see what happens.

If you hear a loud scream it will be because I experienced the same problem with the new/different brand router. Then at least I will know it's the computer.