uniqs

LLStarks
Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

LLStarks

Premium Member

[DVR] No Cloud DVR on FIOS?

Is there anything equivalent to Optimum's cloud-based DVR service?

Any box can be a DVR and you only lose the ability to rewind live TV.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Only lose the ability to rewind live TV? That is a very important factor of a DVR. I wouldn't want to lose it. I have read that Verizon is looking into it though.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to LLStarks

to LLStarks
Maybe... but seems more for storage or some form of hybrid DVR cloud idea where the DVR and cloud are utilized based on viewing habits.

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-09-07
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to LLStarks

to LLStarks
said by LLStarks:

Is there anything equivalent to Optimum's cloud-based DVR service?

Any box can be a DVR and you only lose the ability to rewind live TV.

Optimum has been promising that for years. Is it even out there yet?

LLStarks
Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

LLStarks

Premium Member

Umm, it's been out for over a year or two now.

»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· dvr-plus
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by LLStarks:

Umm, it's been out for over a year or two now.

»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· dvr-plus

That's not bad. I didn't know they completely rolled it out

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

Ask any one who has it if they would rather have a DVR box, it sucks for just about everything it is supposed to do.
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

davidplatt to skohly

to skohly
Based on the web page it's pretty lame - 24 hours of HD capacity? That's nothing. I'm not thrilled that my Cisco DVR only has a 500GB drive. That's 45 to 73 hours of HD depending upon the bitrate of the program. Since it will take an eSata drive, I'm going to attach one of at least 1TB to triple the space.

Verizon needs to seriously consider getting a DVR with 4 tuners instead of only 2 tuners. TiVo has two boxes with 4 tuners and the Ceton Cable Card devices (both PCIe and USB) have 4 tuners.

I will say one thing, the Verizon Cisco DVR is a lot more responsive than the DirecTV DVRs.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Agree... I use rewind on live tv more than anything.. I don't DVR much, so I don't care for much storage past 12hrs or so.

The thing I worry about with cloud based DVR's is speed. I've used the DirecTV multi-room DVR's before and they were always very slow in response.

DirecTV receivers are dirt slow though, but if I wasn't locked into a contract I would go back to them and dump FIOS TV. FIOS TV picture isn't as good (pixelates more) and doesn't have the HD channel selection that DTV has.

I had DTV before I moved to a FIOS area.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by buckweet1980:

The thing I worry about with cloud based DVR's is speed. I've used the DirecTV multi-room DVR's before and they were always very slow in response.

Speed would be my main concern too. Even just using the multi-room DVR functionality - accessing the DVR from other boxes usually has a delayed response when using FFW, REW, Pause, etc. I would expect it to be much worse with a cloud-based DVR.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to LLStarks

to LLStarks
The Verizon idea/patent is not the same as Cablevision. You still have a DVR in your house.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya to LLStarks

Premium Member

to LLStarks
I re-signed with OOL earlier this year and got stuck with DVR+. It is the biggest piece of garbage right now. Everything is slow to respond. Sometimes shows do not record for no reason. I lost the live rewind and the 30 second skip function I had before. It makes us not use it nearly as much as we used to. They are trying to force everyone to this crap and will not switch me back to a hard drive DVR. If FIOS comes out with this I definitely would not want it, at least not for a while until they work out most of the bugs and make it function like the current ones.

I switched to Fios for 2 years and go back to OOL and it's like they are going backwards in quality instead of getting better. I was told (by one of their techs that was at my house) that they do not have the bandwidth to handle the massive amounts of video with the already large amounts of internet data flowing through their lines. Who knows, maybe Fios will not have that problem. I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along to go back to Fios.
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

said by happy4ya:

I re-signed with OOL earlier this year and got stuck with DVR+. It is the biggest piece of garbage right now. Everything is slow to respond. Sometimes shows do not record for no reason. I lost the live rewind and the 30 second skip function I had before. It makes us not use it nearly as much as we used to. They are trying to force everyone to this crap and will not switch me back to a hard drive DVR. If FIOS comes out with this I definitely would not want it, at least not for a while until they work out most of the bugs and make it function like the current ones.

I switched to Fios for 2 years and go back to OOL and it's like they are going backwards in quality instead of getting better. I was told (by one of their techs that was at my house) that they do not have the bandwidth to handle the massive amounts of video with the already large amounts of internet data flowing through their lines. Who knows, maybe Fios will not have that problem. I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along to go back to Fios.

The whole problem with this setup on a cable system is the fact that everything is shared, they use the same 1000Mhz COAX signals to deliver TV/Internet/Phone and are limited in how many channels they can use on the system. I ran into this problem all the time when I had Comcast, you could NEVER use there VOD service between 8AM and 2AM, it was always in use by too many other people on the node and would give an error because it could not find a free slot to use it, the same is true with this whole DVR+ concept only I am guessing they have more channels freed up to support it. Now as for FiOS, you would not have the problems as much with capacity since TV/Internet/Phone are all delivered on different wave lengths over the fiber, there is no having to share the bandwidth with the TV channels or the phone. This is why you never run into capacity issues when trying to use their VOD.

Now the other problem you mentioned is LAG, and this is not going to go away, anyone who has ever used FiOS VOD has seen the lag when you try to FF or RW, you only get 1 speed and when you push play it does not start where you requested it but instead a few seconds later. This is going to happen no matter what you do since you are no longer sending the single to a local box but instead to a remote box across the internet, luckily this should not be the case if the box is inside the house which is the concept Verizon is heading towards.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya

Premium Member

zippoboy7 See Profile
Now the other problem you mentioned is LAG, and this is not going to go away, anyone who has ever used FiOS VOD has seen the lag when you try to FF or RW, you only get 1 speed and when you push play it does not start where you requested it but instead a few seconds later. This is going to happen no matter what you do since you are no longer sending the single to a local box but instead to a remote box across the internet, luckily this should not be the case if the box is inside the house which is the concept Verizon is heading towards.

Weird, we used VOD a lot when I had Fios and I don't remember it being bad with lag. Then again, OOL is so bad that it probably made any lag I had with Fios seem like nothing. I press a button (FF, RW, Channel Guide, etc) and usually takes anywhere from 4-12 seconds for the TV to respond. Makes it almost unusable. I was on a 2yr contract with Fios and all the deals were coming to an end and the price kept going up until I was paying around $210 a month. I jumped to OOL and am paying $155 a month. TV services kinda suck but I can't see going back for $55 a month for better VOD. Hopefully a good deal will come through soon and I can switch back.