Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Best Imaging solution OSS or otherwise

I'm planning on getting some sort of Acronis-style back up solution, and would like to get your opinions about this.

What I need is something that'll backup a Dual boot system, and knows how to deal with large-ish installs (~1.5 TB across multiple disks)

I know these things do compression, and I do make a point of backing up the data part of my installs, but there are times where I'm going to need a quick and dirty backup in case I want to try new stuff and thought this would be a good plan.

Your thoughts?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

misiek

join:2000-12-25
Round Lake, IL
I use partimage to backup/restore ext2/3 and Win XP's ntfs partitions.
It supports gzip/bzip2 and no compression.

hth.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to El Quintron
Clonezilla does physical dumps of disks and partitions. The only downside is it needs to be booted, but I've found it useful for whole disk dumps. For file backups, I use rsync. I rsync etc, home and another userdata partition.

»clonezilla.org/

With any new backup software, make sure you can restore before going b*** to the wall.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to misiek
said by misiek:

I use partimage to backup/restore ext2/3 and Win XP's ntfs partitions.
It supports gzip/bzip2 and no compression.

hth.

Cool, I'll check that out.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to orion940
said by orion940:

Clonezilla does physical dumps of disks and partitions.

Good to know, I've used it for my Ubuntu partition before but never for a whole machine.
--

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron
A friend likes this: »redobackup.org/

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
reply to El Quintron
If you have a server or a station that you can back up to, FOG may be a viable solution. This backs up using network booting option before you even mount the drive.

»sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to rolfp
I'll check it out, thank you for the link.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Sr Tech
said by Sr Tech:

If you have a server or a station that you can back up to, FOG may be a viable solution. This backs up using network booting option before you even mount the drive.

I have 2 NASes on the network so this is definitely worth looking into.
--

Sr Tech
Premium
New Britain, CT
said by El Quintron:

said by Sr Tech:

I have 2 NASes on the network so this is definitely worth looking into.

What your backing up to will have to be a physical PC based NAS running linux, FOG does not support Synology or other brand type units. I would like to see them make an add on for one or a manufacture support them in doing so.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Sr Tech:

What your backing up to will have to be a physical PC based NAS running linux, FOG does not support Synology or other brand type units. I would like to see them make an add on for one or a manufacture support them in doing so.

Duly noted.

Does it need something like FreeNAS or could it do a share from any Linux machine?
--

Sr Tech
Premium
New Britain, CT
said by El Quintron:

said by Sr Tech:

Duly noted.

Does it need something like FreeNAS or could it do a share from any Linux machine?

You can do it as a share from a linux box, once in stalled you register the PC's that need to be backed up. Once done, it's a matter of rebooting and selecting boot from the network, select FOG and go from there. You can back up windows or linux clients. A lot of school systems are using this as a back up method as at the end of the year they push back the images to refresh the machines. What I have not done yet, there is a way to defrag and update the images (I need to get one of the people at work to show me how).

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
That seems pretty straightforward, I'll be trying this shortly. Thank you for the recommendation.
--

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
reply to rolfp
I would like to put in a favorable comment on Redo Backup and Recovery. I use it for simple image backups and restores of my multi-boot laptop. It works.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to El Quintron
I'm currently using Acronis for Windows, and "dar" for file backup in linux. Both of these can save encrypted backups, which does not seem possible with clonezilla. I prefer encrypted, because the USB drives where I keep backups will eventually die and be junked, and I don't have to worry about scrubbing disks if everything was encrypted.

I don't have anything as big as 1.5 TB.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 15.0.1