Search similar:

uniqs

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Lease vs Purchase

Hughes currently offers a lease-only hardware option. Anybody in the know hear speculation whether or not a hardware purchase offer may eventually be made available?

//greg//
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

1 edit

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

Good question Greg, you should post that on the hughes community forum and let Sara answer that one.
A Tech
join:2008-11-10

A Tech to grohgreg

to grohgreg
purchase is available right now.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by A Tech:

purchase is available right now.

Please elaborate. 18 hours ago I was on the phone for an hour with at least six different Hughes departments. Couldn't get one to verify any option other than lease was available to me.

//greg//
stardust3
join:2012-09-08
united state

stardust3 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
Hey Greg check out this link.....

»www.hughesnet.com/index. ··· dspPlans

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

That links me to purchase options for a HN9000 system, for which I have no use. I'm after a Gen4 purchase option.

//greg//
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by grohgreg:

That links me to purchase options for a HN9000 system, for which I have no use. I'm after a Gen4 purchase option.

//greg//

When I use the that link, it takes me to a Gen4 page, and when I click on "view details" on the page, it includes a $199 purchase option for the Gen4 system.
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE

Same thing here, clicking on view details shows a purchase or lease option.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
Greg
Here is the answer from Sara from the Hughes community.

Sara for Hughes (Official Rep) 15 minutes ago

Hello grohgreg, at this point there is no purchase option for customers upgrading their service to Gen4. Thank you, Sara
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by sharkyyoung:

Greg

Hello grohgreg, at this point there is no purchase option for customers upgrading their service to Gen4. Thank you, Sara

That sure doesn't agree with what is on Hughes' site. See option 1 below from the cut and paste of the Hughes' page.

Power Great for browsing, emailing, and photos!

Next, select an equipment payment option.
Download Maximum When you connect to the Internet using HughesNet, the upload and download speeds you experience will vary based on a variety of factors including the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the speed of the Web sites you are accessing, and other factors. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated.
Download Maximum
Upload Maximum When you connect to the Internet using HughesNet, the upload and download speeds you experience will vary based on a variety of factors including the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the speed of the Web sites you are accessing, and other factors. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated.
Upload Maximum
Download Allowance (Monthly)Data Allowance is set on a daily basis and is the amount of data you can download or upload. The total daily Data Allowance includes two components: A generous anytime allowance can be utilized at any time, including during peak daytime hours. Bonus Bytes, can be utilized during the off-peak, nighttime hours (2AM-8AM).
Download Allowance (Monthly)

Anytime Downloads2
Bonus Bytes2 (2AM-8AM)
Monthly Total2
Live Tech SupportWe have multiple levels of phone support available 24/7 including live chat! Our agents are trained to help you with any type of question related to your service.
Live Tech Support
Email accountsThe number of email accounts included with the plan.
Email Accounts
Monthly Rate

Special Rate

10 Mbps
1 Mbps
10 GB
10 GB
20 GB
Yes
$59.99

$49.99/mo

Option 1:
Purchase
Purchase your equipment and own it for life. Your one-time upfront cost covers standard installation and equipment.

Free Standard Installation after $199.99 mail-in rebate.
$199.99
After $199.99
mail-in-rebate

Option 2:
Lease
Prefer not to own your equipment? Choose to lease and reduce your upfront costs.

Free standard installation.

Order by 12/31/12 and save an extra $99 after mail-in rebate.
$0
After mail-in-rebate
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

I just put what the CSR from Hughes said, but I also just asked her this one pasted below.

Sara

If there is no option to buy the equipment than how long does the lease last? 24months?
If it is longer than than that lets say for as long as the customer has it than the equipment should always be under warranty right.
sharkyyoung

sharkyyoung to One More Too

Premium Member

to One More Too
said by One More Too:

said by sharkyyoung:

Greg

That sure doesn't agree with what is on Hughes' site. See option 1 below from the cut and paste of the Hughes' page.

Power Great for browsing, emailing, and photos!

Next, select an equipment payment option.
Download Maximum When you connect to the Internet using HughesNet, the upload and download speeds you experience will vary based on a variety of factors including the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the speed of the Web sites you are accessing, and other factors. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated.
Download Maximum
Upload Maximum When you connect to the Internet using HughesNet, the upload and download speeds you experience will vary based on a variety of factors including the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the speed of the Web sites you are accessing, and other factors. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated.
Upload Maximum
Download Allowance (Monthly)Data Allowance is set on a daily basis and is the amount of data you can download or upload. The total daily Data Allowance includes two components: A generous anytime allowance can be utilized at any time, including during peak daytime hours. Bonus Bytes, can be utilized during the off-peak, nighttime hours (2AM-8AM).
Download Allowance (Monthly)

Anytime Downloads2
Bonus Bytes2 (2AM-8AM)
Monthly Total2
Live Tech SupportWe have multiple levels of phone support available 24/7 including live chat! Our agents are trained to help you with any type of question related to your service.
Live Tech Support
Email accountsThe number of email accounts included with the plan.
Email Accounts
Monthly Rate

Special Rate

10 Mbps
1 Mbps
10 GB
10 GB
20 GB
Yes
$59.99

$49.99/mo

Option 1:
Purchase
Purchase your equipment and own it for life. Your one-time upfront cost covers standard installation and equipment.

Free Standard Installation after $199.99 mail-in rebate.
$199.99
After $199.99
mail-in-rebate

Option 2:
Lease
Prefer not to own your equipment? Choose to lease and reduce your upfront costs.

Free standard installation.

Order by 12/31/12 and save an extra $99 after mail-in rebate.
$0
After mail-in-rebate

One More Too
I believe this is for new customers only.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14

said by sharkyyoung:

One More Too
I believe this is for new customers only.

if that's the case, it's just yet another thing that hughesnet has completely dropped the ball on regarding gen 4
chances14

chances14 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
Click for full size
this what i get when i go to gen 4 plans page

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

which would mean the equipment is $400?
stardust3
join:2012-09-08
united state

stardust3 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
If purchases are for new customers only on gen4 & not upgrades then there is only 1 solution. Signup as a new customer & cxl the old account afterwards.
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

My guess would be that the $199 rebate is likely to be a permanent rebate. Since I became a Hughes customer in 2005, rebates on the Ku system purchases and, then, on 9000 system purchases were always available.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

1 edit

The Geezer to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
On a related note, I have in my hand a very old "Surfbeam" Via-Sat modem sitting in a pile of electronic debris in my basement beside a GE 17" CRT B&W TV set, an 8 track tape player and a 45 rpm record player.

I really don't see any benefit in owning a piece of expensive equipment that will likely be obsolete within a few years leaving me to get rid of it at my own expense.

But I'll give it to anyone who wants it and is willing to play postage!

Oh, and by the way, I also have a complete 1 metre dish assembly with TX/RX transducers that is clamped to a pole in my back yard. I'll also let it go to a new home of anyone who happens to be looking for such an item!
A Tech
join:2008-11-10

A Tech to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Hughes currently offers a lease-only hardware option. Anybody in the know hear speculation whether or not a hardware purchase offer may eventually be made available?

//greg//

In my dealer portal there is an option to purchase directly beside the option to lease. It is actually the 1st option. It is not every far from a dealer funded website that is an option for an additional $100 rebate. If you would like the additional $100 rebate just have me fill it out for you as a new customer. Assuming you are a new customer.

I have not checked, but have been trained that there is a purchase option for an upgrade.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to The Geezer

to The Geezer
said by The Geezer:

I really don't see any benefit in owning a piece of expensive equipment that will likely be obsolete within a few years leaving me to get rid of it at my own expense.

The operative word in your assumption is "likely". In this case, the HN7000S generation of Ku-equipment is not obsolete. Business and Enterprise accounts still use it, and likely will continue to do so for years to come. I'm confident I can get at least half the investment back out of my HN7000S system just selling it for spare parts to keep other systems running.

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to chances14

to chances14
said by chances14:

this what i get when i go to gen 4 plans page

I get that too. But when I proceed to "check availability" I get HN9000 plans. And I know that's BS, because I already have been called by an installer for a Gen4 lease installation. But I told them to put it on hold until I can figure out how to get it changed to a Gen4 purchase installation.

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to A Tech

to A Tech
said by A Tech:

Assuming you are a new customer.

Therein lies the rub. Hughes records will show my my address as having had unbroken DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet service since early 2002. But if you know some way to get around that, I'm interested

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Exactly. Which is what I meant earlier when I said that - rebates considered - it only takes the equivalent of 20 lease payments to actually OWN the stuff. So for all practical purposes, lease payments beyond 24 months are actually only paying for an (expensive) extended warranty.

//greg//

Gavin5
join:2012-10-03
canada

Gavin5 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
I think trying the lease option is better than purchase.

CheapJunk
@direcway.com

CheapJunk to grohgreg

Anon

to grohgreg
We lease this cheap junk from HughesNet. In the past 3 years we have gone though ( 3 ) HN9000 modems.

I'm so glad we are smart!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

3 edits

grohgreg to Gavin5

to Gavin5
said by Gavin5:

I think trying the lease option is better than purchase.

Just so you understand, the Gen4 purchase option was listed at $400 up front. Then there's a $200 mail-in rebate. So purchase price is $200 net. And it's under warranty for the first 24 months. After that, I'm liable for repair/replacement.

Lease on the other hand, is $10/month - forever. Yes, you also get repair/replacement forever - but at what cost? $10 per month for 20 months is $200, which means you've already paid an equivalent to the purchase price - and haven't even reached the end of your 24 month service commitment. Yet you continue to pay $120 per year lease - for as long as you maintain the subscription.

Let's put that in perspective. In the 12+ years that I've owned DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet, I've spent approximately $500 buying/repairing/replacing hardware. Had I leased that entire period, I'd have paid over $1500.
said by CheapJunk :

We lease this cheap junk from HughesNet. In the past 3 years we have gone though ( 3 ) HN9000 modems.

Sounds like a personal problem. I think I belong to a majority who've had the same modem since it was issued. Pretty sure my HN7000S is going on six years old. And if I need to replace it, there's one on eBay right now for $34. And - oh gee - there's also a HN9000 for $30. And you've spent how much in lease payments so far?

//greg//
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE

HN9000 aren't so simple to swap out from my understanding.... More of a hassle than HN7000 in the end, especially when dealing with used units.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg

said by C0RR0SIVE:

HN9000 aren't so simple to swap out from my understanding.... More of a hassle than HN7000 in the end, especially when dealing with used units.

Yeah, that's why I stuck with the HN7000S. I personally feel that the HN9000 wasn't ready for prime time. From my perspective, it would have been better never to have fielded the HN9000 at all - and jumped from the Ku-band HN7000S straight to the Ka-band Gen4. But Hughes was faced with competition from WB, so they elected to bridge the gap with the HN9000

That said, I've already talked to installers who - almost as one - exclaim how easy the Gen4 is to install (compared to the HN9000). Which is another reason I'm ready to upgrade - once I resolve this lease vs purchase issue that is.

//greg//

Aframe
Premium Member
join:2008-01-30
Uvalde, TX

Aframe

Premium Member

said by grohgreg:

said by C0RR0SIVE:

Yeah, that's why I stuck with the HN7000S. I personally feel that the HN9000 wasn't ready for prime time. From my perspective, it would have been better never to have fielded the HN9000 at all - and jumped from the Ku-band HN7000S straight to the Ka-band Gen4. But Hughes was faced with competition from WB, so they elected to bridge the gap with the HN9000

That said, I've already talked to installers who - almost as one - exclaim how easy the Gen4 is to install (compared to the HN9000). Which is another reason I'm ready to upgrade - once I resolve this lease vs purchase issue that is.

//greg//

Being that I have had both the 7000s and the 9000, the 9000 vastly out performs the 7000s. there is really no comparison.
One More Too
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by Aframe:

said by grohgreg:

said by C0RR0SIVE:

//greg//

Being that I have had both the 7000s and the 9000, the 9000 vastly out performs the 7000s. there is really no comparison.

My experience was exactly the same. After several years of up and down service with 7000s and other Ku modems, the 2 1/2 years of service I had with the 9000/Ka system was far superior. I got advertised speeds virtually 24/7, and, during that 2 1/2 years, there were only 2 or 3 service outages that each lasted less than an hour. The only equipment issue that I had during that time was a modem that experienced the LAN port failure that many 9000 modems had, and Hughes replaced it at no cost to me even though my system was out of warranty. Of the several equipment or plan upgrades that I made over my years as a Hughes customer, without question, the switch to the 9000 system was the one that worked out the best in terms of both system performance and reliability.