uniqs

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Dodge 3.3L Stalls - No Codes

2003 Grand Caravan, 3.3L, 120,xxx miles.

Wife claims it randomly dies at idle. I have not had it do this to me, but I rarely drive it. She says when it dies, it is as she is comping to a stop, or already stopped. In other words, it happens while she is off the gas and the engine is near idle. The vehicle is giving me no engine codes, and seems to run well otherwise. No shuttering or rough idle. It always starts right back up when it dies.

Any ideas on where to start? I have some ideas, but the lack of any engine codes makes the game plan wide open.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

I'd check the throttle position sensor. I have seen them not return to the idle position so the ECU does not maintain an idle RPM. If bad. they may not throw an out of range voltage to trigger a code.

If the idle RPM seems to vary, that is usually a sign. WHen the one on my Jeep went bad, it ran fine but idle was 400 RPM sometimes.

Other things to check are AC and power steering sensors that predict the need for more power at idle.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by shdesigns:

I'd check the throttle position sensor. I have seen them not return to the idle position so the ECU does not maintain an idle RPM. If bad. they may not throw an out of range voltage to trigger a code.

That was going to be my guess as well. IIRC, it was fairly cheap and easy to replace as well.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

Sounds like it could it also possibly be a stuck EGR valve as well.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to Lurch77

to Lurch77

Good thoughts so far, but my first look would be at the idle air control valve passages. They often become blocked with carbon build-up which prevents adequate airflow at closed-throttle. This will not generally set a trouble code until the condition occurs long enough for the ECM to decide it is commanding the valve position to be too high for too long.

Also just a small amount of carbon build-up around the throttle valve itself can do the same thing.

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA

hambone42 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I have had other Mopar FWD vehicles stall during deceleration as a result of a faulty output speed sensor on the transaxle. I'd check the other items mentioned above first but it's worth keeping in mind as an alternative.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77

whoa, flashback

My previous 1997 Voyager 3.3 did the same exact thing... engine would stall. It would restart immediately but never store a code.

There was a TSB in that case, the remedy was to disconnect the knock sensor and attach an underhood label describing the repair for EPA as it's an emissions control mod. Worked like a charm.

Maybe a similar condition is affecting your van.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Re: Dodge 3.3L Stalls - No Codes

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas. I hate these kind of problems, as it is very intermittent. And checking and doing things doesn't give instant results. All you can do is make checks and adjustments, then wait and see if it stops the problem. I didn't consider the IAC, as I had that issue with my Jeep and it gave very different symptoms. But I suppose it is something to look at. On the Jeep I just disassembled and cleaned, wasn't too hard to do, and was free.
Lurch77

Lurch77

Premium Member

Wife gave me another piece of info. She said it appears to only happen when the vehicle is not fully warmed up. Does that help narrow it down any?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

DeltaElite to Lurch77

to Lurch77
It became a spark no fuel trouble in my truck and the bed comes off this weekend to replace the fuel pump. I did finally,however, get a lean condition code set. It acted lok a major vacuum leak on a carb'd car before it died.

209k though