dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ike1340
join:2005-10-31

Ike1340

[WildBlue] Legacy Wildblue/NRTC Migration: Any Word?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to locate some old info on what is planned for the legacy WB users who haven't gone to Exede yet. I know I read this a long time ago on an official Exede wed site, but now I can't find it.

Background: I'm a long-time subscriber via an NRTC program (electric co-op in AZ). Based on the early reviews, I decided to hold out in favor of a WISP that was going to be coming to my neighborhood by September. Well, the build-out has been postponed to some time next year, and my co-op has decided not to move to the Exede program. As a result, I need to decide if I should hand on to what I have, or be committed for another two years to Exede/ViaSat/Whoever Their Successors Might Be.

The info I seem to remember was that existing customers (presumably on Anik F2) that choose not to migrate would be upgraded to a faster service and the new usage caps via a software upgrade to the satellite (and some back-end server/AcceleNet magic, no doubt). I now can't find any reference to that information on any Exede site, and ViaSat customer service denies all knowledge of this.

Does anyone else remember this?

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

In Arizona you may only get the Exede5 service because there's only one spotbeam (363) from ViaSat-1 for your area..

You can put your zip code in here and verify Exede5 or Exede12 is available for you and what the upgrade fees are.

»www.wildblue.com/

Your Dish, Tria and modem have to be replaced to work with the new Exede5 or Exede12 service even if it's (Exede5) on the Anik-F2 or WB-1 satellite...and your dish has to be repointed/peaked to provision the new modem...

Your existing mounting hardware, including a pole mount can be reused and one of your existing coax cable can be used if all is in good shape...the Exede modem only uses one coax.

I upgraded and it's not free...the web site above will detail your upgrade expenses..
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by wm4bama:

In Arizona you may only get the Exede5 service because

Maricopa, AZ - Maricopa is the second most populous incorporated city in Pinal County and forms part of the Phoenix metropolitan area, the 12th largest metropolitan area in the United States.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma ··· _Arizona

Guess where ViaSat put a spot beam...right in his turf
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Ike1340

to Ike1340
Might insert your zip code here for NRTC: »www.localexede.com/us/wi ··· s.action
Ike1340
join:2005-10-31

Ike1340

Actually, I'm in the sweet spot of an Exede 12 spot. My local installer informs me that the beam is still open, but may close later in the month (not clear on the reasons). But that's not the point.

I'm trying to get some idea of whether or not legacy Anik F2 customers are going to get a service upgrade without moving to ViaSat 1. The FAQ I remember reading some time back spoke of a speed upgrade later in 2012, but no one seems to know about this now.

The object isn't money here. A wireless ISP is coming to my area in 3 to 6 months, and I need the low-latency connection for VPN and work. I'm trying to figure out if I can hold out for that long, or if I'm going to be forced into a long-term commitment on a new Exede contract that will preclude me getting the WISP. A Wildblue speed upgrade would make it easier to stay with WB for that long.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

I know at one point the Viasat moderators hinted that they would improve the legacy service at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. They are "all in" on their new Exede service now and maintaining two platforms can be costly (consider Microsoft...at some point they quit supporting legacy products).

I would say IF you know you are going to move to the WISP within the next 6 months...probably best to stay with the legacy service you have.

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to Ike1340

to Ike1340
Ike, WB/Exede will not offer speed upgrades (Anik-F2 has Exede5 spotbeams in some areas, but not yours) to Exede5 for customers in a spotbeam footprint of ViaSat-1...you are one of those customers..if you upgrade you will be placed on ViaSat-1.

The "Improvements" folks talk about for existing Anik-F2/WB-1 customers with the Value, Select or Pro Pak simply hopes enough customers migrate to ViaSat-1 that will allow existing beams on Anik-F2/WB-1 to be less congested and better speeds will naturally follow..

Don't count on that because the "Enhanced" beams being added to Anik-F2 and WB-1 to allow Exede5 to be offered to customers that don't have ViaSat-1 coverage will quickly eat up that bandwidth..

Your best option is to upgrade to Exede12 on ViaSat-1.