Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to imanon

Re: OT - Site Monitoring Device - Input Needed

said by imanon :

I'm a little confused - how do you think your going to sell this 'new' device when plenty of these already exists in the market...

Price my device functionality using the devices you suggested then get back to me.

or if you're in the cheaper is best, I like to tinker all day to make it work, kind of mood...
»www.kickstarter.com/projects/520···onnected

This is good (we're thinking along the same lines), but lacks the number of I/O that my device has.

The other issue is having the conditioning right on the board so the user doesn't have to deal with that aspect of it. It is easy enough to do, but most people don't have that knowledge.

My professional experience is in industrial instrumentation and controls, so I know the market pretty well. I know what things cost.

Pricing on these devices is paramount. It drives everything. The objective is to drive the price low by using every advantage that the current technologies offer. By using non-bleeding edge devices (because they are not needed in this application), it is possible to reduce the cost significantly.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
said by John Galt:

My professional experience is in industrial instrumentation and controls, so I know the market pretty well. I know what things cost.

Pricing on these devices is paramount. It drives everything. The objective is to drive the price low by using every advantage that the current technologies offer. By using non-bleeding edge devices (because they are not needed in this application), it is possible to reduce the cost significantly.

A board with similar functionality sells on ebay for $20.
While old company industrial buyers are willing to pay $600 for $25 shaft encoder, you may not be able to easily reach that market.
If you select a good distribution channel, even a me too product can be successful.