Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

Scary stuff, really scary stuff.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

»www.socialbakers.com/fac ··· ustralia

Barf. USA ranks number 1 of all nations for Facebook usage. Plus, USA has a LOT MORE MALE Facebook users than say Brazil.

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising. So, advertisers salivate at the younger crowds who haven't yet really discovered who they are and their likes and dislikes. I'd like to know though how many in the USA over 64 have a Facebook account.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 edits

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Barf. USA ranks number 1 of all nations for Facebook usage.

In raw numbers or % of the population?

Plus, USA has a LOT MORE MALE Facebook users than say Brazil.

Maybe American males are "friending" Brazilian females

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising.

Exactly. Older people have been around the block a few times and are much less likely to be swayed by the "look at this new shiny thing" type of advertising. They've seen shiny things before and know that not all are gold

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

There was a generation of people, like my mother, who just never got into using computers. When her typewriter died, my mother was reduced to using paper and pen. She was given a free computer, but she took no interest in it.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising.

Exactly. Older people have been around the block a few times and are much less likely to be swayed by the "look at this new shiny thing" type of advertising. They've seen shiny things before and know that not all are gold

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much. While they may use desktops or such, they are probably lighter on using the mini personal devices that now seem to thrive around social-networks. I recall not so terribly long ago when programmable VCR's came on the scene with their counter-intuitive operating menus, that adults said, "if you want your VCR successfully programmed to record tonight's football game, just ask your kid to do it." Those adults are now over 65, and the kids have grown up living with programmable devices - and now have kids of their own. And those parents of the adults from the earlier days are now just like rcdailey See Profile describes in the post just above this one.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much.

True. Since I'm an older techie, and programmed peoples VCR's and digital watches when I was younger, I have my fair share of toys What I don't and won't have are toys that want to track my every movement.