Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hchen42

Re: [TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

said by hchen42:

you just need to til they call back.

sorry to press this point of this typo, but it's important for me since i'm on a magicjack phone...

so when they call you back - that's when the provision is complete and new modem's MAC active?
was the callback one of their automated recordings or a human being?

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
reply to hchen42
I connected my SB6141 just to check if I could see what the status page says and I can't get into 192.168.100.1. Browsers just hang on it. All the status lights come up on the modem but the internet light flashes and it goes through the whole connection process again every 30 seconds or so.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
You may need to set a static IP in the 192.168.100.x network on whichever device is connected to the modem so your request can be routed properly. Some old SB modems had a built in DHCP server that would kick in when there was no Internet connection, but I'm not sure if the new ones have that.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

said by hchen42:

you just need to til they call back.

sorry to press this point of this typo, but it's important for me since i'm on a magicjack phone...

so when they call you back - that's when the provision is complete and new modem's MAC active?
was the callback one of their automated recordings or a human being?

When they called me , it was a live person. She asked me if I am home, and I told her no. She said the new modem has been activated. I just need to connect the modem once I get home.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
hchen - your elaboration was VERY helpful to me, thanks.

UPDATE and Clarifications:

I got my factory reconditioned SB5101U thanks to Amazon, and called into that 866 number to save me on prompts and teir-1 idiots. i got a human within 2 minutes who immediately knew what i wanted and what to do. after giving him the HFC MAC and my account number he entered it to be added to my account within the next 72 hours.

he said I would get a call once both my old and new modem was on the account. then during that call or during a call back i could give them the final permission to switch me over, and the actual change over takes minutes. he also said once the modem is active on TWC's system they will eventually automatically push out any new firmware updates it may lack. I hope this helps others in the same boat.

this is perfect for me stuck on VoIP as I can tell the changeover guy later if he does not see activity after 10 minutes to switch my MAC back so we can talk on the phone about it later, and if he does see activity I should be able to then call him back and say all is well and thank you.

hchen42

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Cool! Yeah, I really wished I have the 866 numbers beforehand. It would have saved me an hour of my life.

Just some more info... I logged into my account today and noticed a service appointment was scheduled on monday. I called and only to find out the "provision" lady scheduled the appointment to pick up the modem. I told TWC to cancel since I was going to drop off the modem. If I didn't log in, the TWC technician would have wasted a trip as I wouldn't be at my apt.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by hchen42:

Cool! Yeah, I really wished I have the 866 numbers beforehand. It would have saved me an hour of my life.

Just some more info... I logged into my account today and noticed a service appointment was scheduled on monday. I called and only to find out the "provision" lady scheduled the appointment to pick up the modem. I told TWC to cancel since I was going to drop off the modem. If I didn't log in, the TWC technician would have wasted a trip as I wouldn't be at my apt.

and knowing time warner, they would have charged you for missing the appointment! LoL
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
they scheduled a premise visit - how totally retarded.
the issue didn't come up when i called, i just assumed
they won't stop charging me $4 till I drop off their box.
I'll be sure to remind them of my drop off when they call
once the new modem's MAC is available for my account.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
It is a bit dumb to automatically schedule someone for an appointment and not telling them about it...just for a modem pick up. I wouldn't mind it though...maybe I could force them to diagnose my wildly fluctuating signal levels.

Over 24 hours now and still no provision. Lets see if TWC even gets to me by tomorrow.
--

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to hchen42
I would of asked for a supervisor once he said about "adding it to their inventory". Why are you adding a modem I purchased to YOUR inventory? Is ICOMS realy that screwed up by you that this is the way you have to do it, which is where you will allways get a "it wouldent be this hard if you just use ours" statement from them when you complain.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

Called the number just now and didn't have to wait. They just took down my modem model and the MAC address. Told me it would take up to 72 hours...wait for a call back or for my modem to stop working. Took all of 4 minutes to go through it. Hopefully they can provision the new modem sooner rather than later.

glad I could help! calling Tier 1 or even 2 is usually not a good experiance.

said by hchen42:

Another happy person glad I could help I've been through this like 2 years back

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
reply to OSUGoose
TWC doesn't "add it to inventory" they put the MAC on the account so that our system can provision the account information correctly. If the system doesn't know where to send the information.

Someone simply misspoke.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
reply to hchen42
Still haven't been provisioned yet after 48 hours. I wonder if weekends count in TWC land.
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by Straphanger:

Still haven't been provisioned yet after 48 hours. I wonder if weekends count in TWC land.

I feel for you! Even what i consider the worst cable company out there, mediacom, i had my owned modem running in less than 5 minutes!

It's almost like they do this on purpose to discourage people from owning their own. That isn't right.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
I hope they get to me soon because I just want to get rid of this crappy refurb DCM425 before the 10/15 deadline so I don't get charged. It has given me nothing but headaches for the past couple months.

I'll try to call up Level 3 again tomorrow evening and tell them the 72 hour clock has passed and see what they have to offer.
--

Lenard

join:2006-01-12
Raleigh, NC

1 edit
reply to djdanska
TWC down here in Raleigh NC, it took me 15 minutes counting time on hold and it was done.

hchen42

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

I hope they get to me soon because I just want to get rid of this crappy refurb DCM425 before the 10/15 deadline so I don't get charged. It has given me nothing but headaches for the past couple months.

I'll try to call up Level 3 again tomorrow evening and tell them the 72 hour clock has passed and see what they have to offer.

When I called to activate on Wednesday, the provision/tier 3 guy said to wait until Monday. Of course, mine was activated within 24 hours. My suspicion is they are inundated with activations. Amazon.com price of this model has jumped from $117.99 last week to $139.99 right now (retail version, brown box version price remains the same). My guess there are many people ordering this product right now.

Good luck though.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
Finally activated me around 3PM today, about 68 hours into the 72 hour clock. They sure do drag their feet with provisioning.

Now I have 6 bonded downstream channels and 4 bonded upstream channels...way better than the 1 down/1 up I was getting with the dinky RCA modem. Hopefully this will mean more stable service. If one channel craps out, it can fall back on other channels that still have good signal levels. Speeds are in-line with my expectations for the Turbo tier...19.8 down/1.9 up.
--

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
so using a docsis3 modem gives you more bonded channels even if you are paying for a docsis2 speed service?

how did you even detect how many up/down channels they bonded to you? while using a download manager i once noticed i had 4 download channels into my docsis2 modem on standard 10/1 service, but i didn't think those had anything to do with my ISP service.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by Packeteers:

so using a docsis3 modem gives you more bonded channels even if you are paying for a docsis2 speed service?

Yes. There aren't really DOCSIS2/DOCSIS3 tiers, TWC just labels them that way. You can have any speed tier on a DOCSIS3 modem and still reap the benefits of DOCSIS3.
said by Packeteers:

how did you even detect how many up/down channels they bonded to you? while using a download manager i once noticed i had 4 download channels into my docsis2 modem on standard 10/1 service, but i didn't think those had anything to do with my ISP service.

Opening the modem's internal webpage at »192.168.100.1 will show you all the channels currently bonded and signal levels for each. This interface isn't available on some TWC provided modems, but it is on all the SB6xxx (and earlier) modems.

Whatever you were seeing on the download manager is not showing channel bonding. It may have opened 4 separate connections - that's different. DOCSIS2 does not support multiple channels at the same time.
--

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to hchen42
I have Earthlink Standard first having the DCM 425 and then going down there to swap it for the Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS3 modem for about a week. The short story was that I been and still do sometimes are having problems with my connection. When I had that modem I would sometimes during peak hours get slow uploads. When the tech guy came he swapped that modem said I could not have it for a ugly crappy Arris TM602G Telephone modem even though I don't have the telephone service. I since went back and swapped it for a RCA425. Then I started having dead connections. Modem lights showed normal but the connection would go dead. It was all the work that they were doing in my area.

I then bought the SB5101U which is a DOCSIS2 modem. It works good but Friday at around 6:30PM I had a dead connection the lights showed normal but I could not connect to anything. Called the Tier 3 number and the guy put a monitor on my modem. Saturday at 1:30 AM same thing but Sunday till now it is fine. I know it is not the modem since swapping 6 other ones this is my 7th and it still does it.

What I want to know is since I have Earthlink Standard TWC said that I can't even use a DOCSIS3 modem. Also is the SB5101U a good modem even though it is DOCSIS2? Is it as much better than the RCA425?

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
tony, you may want to open a separate troubleshooting thread for that. people here have used the rca425 for years without incident, and yes you can use a docsis3 modem on docsis2 speed rated service. personally i have also had problems with rca425 (modem would drop ISP and have to be power cycled every few days) that the ubee seemed to help stabilize but that could be purely anecdotal since provisioning may have done other things to my line during the modem swap.

i hope the sb5101u i will activate this week is not any worse than the ubee i'll be turning in to avoid monthly fees. even though i didn't clearly know i could get multichannel docsis3 benefits on a docsis2 speed rated line (i though getting docsis3 would simply have saved me the modem upgrade cost should i want to pay for faster speeds in the future), i probably still would have bought the cheap reconditioned modem since the expensive docsis3 one would not have paid for itself by the time FiOS is offered in my building. my reprovisioning wait is already over 48 hours so hopefully today will be the day i'll know my fate.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
reply to hchen42
I went to return my modem today at the Queens Center service center...took about 25 minutes of waiting to get it returned.

I asked the rep if a lot of people have been doing this recently. He said yes but was surprised at the backlash against the modem fee stating that it's not economical to replace a modem in the long term and that most users won't even see the benefits of D3 modems. I tried to talk to him about channel bonding but he seemed a bit perplexed at it and then tried to sell me on wideband service. I declined and that was that. This chapter of my 11 year saga with RR is over.
--

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to hchen42
You can't even find the SB5101U on Newegg anymore where I bought it and on Amazon it is over $60 now and it is sold by a third party. They still have plenty of SB121 3.0 modems but TWC does not support it on there list and who would want the SB6580 since the router function stinks and your own routet would outperform it to run it in bridge mode is a waste.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Could always pick one up off eBay. They were going for $20-30 when I checked last week.
--

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
reply to tonyram57
Didn't someone also say that you could trick RR into provisioning the 6121 by saying it's a 6141?
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by Straphanger:

Didn't someone also say that you could trick RR into provisioning the 6121 by saying it's a 6141?

They can't tell the model number from the MAC address (they could only tell they're both motorola modems if they checked the vendor ID), so they'll most likely register it if you say it's a supported model.

The question is if their configuration server has a generic config file for any DOCSIS3 modem. On some systems, the config files are model-specific. I'm not sure how TWC handles it.
--

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to hchen42
there are still tons of used sb5101u on amazon in the $30's.

the factory reconditioned ones you get from amazon did rise

from $28 i paid on thursday to $38 with NY tax now.

hchen42

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

Ywho would want the SB6580 since the router function stinks and your own routet would outperform it to run it in bridge mode is a waste.

I've been running SB6580 over the weekend now, (knock on wood), the router is working. I have a trendnet switch, 3 computer, one voip adapter (obi202), 2 phones, 1 ipad, 1 network tv tuner, xbox360, a Sony network TV, ps3, a NAS, a wireless printer connect to it either via LAN or wireless. Of course, they don't all access the router simultaneously. The highest simultaneous usage case I remember was having TV, voip adapter, 1 ipad, 2 computer connections and printer, NAS, switch all accessing at once. I didn't notice much difference than my old one. The wireless signal is weaker than my old router.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to hchen42
OMG - Amazing new precedent setting news!

my leased ubee modem lost ISP at 7:45pm this evening.
as usual i fiddled with it, shutdown, power cycled, etc.
and the ISP would not come back.

could it be one of those typical Monthly outages or...

I hooked up my own $28 factory reconditioned Motorola.
the indicator light sputterred for a minute or two till
I finally got the ISP back on this new MAC added modem.

I did NOT get ANY Call VoiceMail or Email from TWCable.

BTW I was two hours over the 72 hour since ordered call,
but in fairness, that 72 hours was over a holiday weekend.

the new modem is running at 3mb basic internet speed,
but i'll leave it on overnight to self update, and if not i can
always have them adjust it over the phone in the morning.
I'm just glad I have connectivity on my new modem without
having to play a lot of telephone tag while on a MagicJack.

UPDATE: I did in fact get a human voice message after the fact
informing me to change over to my own modem and return the
leased one to my local TWC center as soon as possible.

You received a new 0:26 minutes voicemail message,
on Monday, October 08, 2012 at 07:45:47 PM

Based on reading elsewhere on the web my firmware is outdated;
Software Version: SB5101NU-2.1.7.0-GA-00-388-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
So I'll report here when I notice TWCable pushed a newer version,
which should be 2.4.X.X or better (below is for USB PC connection).
»download.cnet.com/Motorola-SURFb···249.html
if you have this modem you can see your current Versions here;
»192.168.100.1/RgHelp.asp