Search similar:

uniqs

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to hchen42

to hchen42

Re: [TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

I have Earthlink Standard first having the DCM 425 and then going down there to swap it for the Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS3 modem for about a week. The short story was that I been and still do sometimes are having problems with my connection. When I had that modem I would sometimes during peak hours get slow uploads. When the tech guy came he swapped that modem said I could not have it for a ugly crappy Arris TM602G Telephone modem even though I don't have the telephone service. I since went back and swapped it for a RCA425. Then I started having dead connections. Modem lights showed normal but the connection would go dead. It was all the work that they were doing in my area.

I then bought the SB5101U which is a DOCSIS2 modem. It works good but Friday at around 6:30PM I had a dead connection the lights showed normal but I could not connect to anything. Called the Tier 3 number and the guy put a monitor on my modem. Saturday at 1:30 AM same thing but Sunday till now it is fine. I know it is not the modem since swapping 6 other ones this is my 7th and it still does it.

What I want to know is since I have Earthlink Standard TWC said that I can't even use a DOCSIS3 modem. Also is the SB5101U a good modem even though it is DOCSIS2? Is it as much better than the RCA425?

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

tony, you may want to open a separate troubleshooting thread for that. people here have used the rca425 for years without incident, and yes you can use a docsis3 modem on docsis2 speed rated service. personally i have also had problems with rca425 (modem would drop ISP and have to be power cycled every few days) that the ubee seemed to help stabilize but that could be purely anecdotal since provisioning may have done other things to my line during the modem swap.

i hope the sb5101u i will activate this week is not any worse than the ubee i'll be turning in to avoid monthly fees. even though i didn't clearly know i could get multichannel docsis3 benefits on a docsis2 speed rated line (i though getting docsis3 would simply have saved me the modem upgrade cost should i want to pay for faster speeds in the future), i probably still would have bought the cheap reconditioned modem since the expensive docsis3 one would not have paid for itself by the time FiOS is offered in my building. my reprovisioning wait is already over 48 hours so hopefully today will be the day i'll know my fate.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to hchen42

Mod

to hchen42
I went to return my modem today at the Queens Center service center...took about 25 minutes of waiting to get it returned.

I asked the rep if a lot of people have been doing this recently. He said yes but was surprised at the backlash against the modem fee stating that it's not economical to replace a modem in the long term and that most users won't even see the benefits of D3 modems. I tried to talk to him about channel bonding but he seemed a bit perplexed at it and then tried to sell me on wideband service. I declined and that was that. This chapter of my 11 year saga with RR is over.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to hchen42

to hchen42
You can't even find the SB5101U on Newegg anymore where I bought it and on Amazon it is over $60 now and it is sold by a third party. They still have plenty of SB121 3.0 modems but TWC does not support it on there list and who would want the SB6580 since the router function stinks and your own routet would outperform it to run it in bridge mode is a waste.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Could always pick one up off eBay. They were going for $20-30 when I checked last week.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to tonyram57

Mod

to tonyram57
Didn't someone also say that you could trick RR into provisioning the 6121 by saying it's a 6141?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Straphanger:

Didn't someone also say that you could trick RR into provisioning the 6121 by saying it's a 6141?

They can't tell the model number from the MAC address (they could only tell they're both motorola modems if they checked the vendor ID), so they'll most likely register it if you say it's a supported model.

The question is if their configuration server has a generic config file for any DOCSIS3 modem. On some systems, the config files are model-specific. I'm not sure how TWC handles it.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
there are still tons of used sb5101u on amazon in the $30's.

the factory reconditioned ones you get from amazon did rise

from $28 i paid on thursday to $38 with NY tax now.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to tonyram57

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

Ywho would want the SB6580 since the router function stinks and your own routet would outperform it to run it in bridge mode is a waste.

I've been running SB6580 over the weekend now, (knock on wood), the router is working. I have a trendnet switch, 3 computer, one voip adapter (obi202), 2 phones, 1 ipad, 1 network tv tuner, xbox360, a Sony network TV, ps3, a NAS, a wireless printer connect to it either via LAN or wireless. Of course, they don't all access the router simultaneously. The highest simultaneous usage case I remember was having TV, voip adapter, 1 ipad, 2 computer connections and printer, NAS, switch all accessing at once. I didn't notice much difference than my old one. The wireless signal is weaker than my old router.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
OMG - Amazing new precedent setting news!

my leased ubee modem lost ISP at 7:45pm this evening.
as usual i fiddled with it, shutdown, power cycled, etc.
and the ISP would not come back.

could it be one of those typical Monthly outages or...

I hooked up my own $28 factory reconditioned Motorola.
the indicator light sputterred for a minute or two till
I finally got the ISP back on this new MAC added modem.

I did NOT get ANY Call VoiceMail or Email from TWCable.

BTW I was two hours over the 72 hour since ordered call,
but in fairness, that 72 hours was over a holiday weekend.

the new modem is running at 3mb basic internet speed,
but i'll leave it on overnight to self update, and if not i can
always have them adjust it over the phone in the morning.
I'm just glad I have connectivity on my new modem without
having to play a lot of telephone tag while on a MagicJack.

UPDATE: I did in fact get a human voice message after the fact
informing me to change over to my own modem and return the
leased one to my local TWC center as soon as possible.

You received a new 0:26 minutes voicemail message,
on Monday, October 08, 2012 at 07:45:47 PM

Based on reading elsewhere on the web my firmware is outdated;
Software Version: SB5101NU-2.1.7.0-GA-00-388-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
So I'll report here when I notice TWCable pushed a newer version,
which should be 2.4.X.X or better (below is for USB PC connection).
»download.cnet.com/Motoro ··· 249.html
if you have this modem you can see your current Versions here;
»192.168.100.1/RgHelp.asp

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

I noticed my SB6141's firmware is a little out of date too. It's version 1.0.6.3 when the latest seems to be 1.0.6.6.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

Same here, hopefully TW sends updated one to users with 6141 sometime, but with their schedule with these things could be a year

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by kilrathi:

Same here, hopefully TW sends updated one to users with 6141 sometime, but with their schedule with these things could be a year

Why would they if the current one is not causing issues?

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

well with that kind of mentality we could still use old software and firmware on a lot of devices, key is if there is new firmware out officially by maker of the modem, too bad there is no way to find out what the changes are or at least I can find out but comcast did roll out this firmware to their customers with 6141.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I asked about pushing software to my modem 3 days ago when i registered my new MAC, and the Tier-3 guy says their system automatically pushes it out as needed - I'm hoping over night or over a weekend... so by the 15th if I don't see an update, I'll call support and annoy them with our concerns. I read other forums that claim TWCable is very conservative with new firmware since they often have problems with such updates and end up having to roll it back. So the latest supported version may vary from cable system to cable system.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to kilrathi

Premium Member

to kilrathi
i think modem firmware is tested in house extensively to make sure it works with the network in all the areas.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
a 3 day auction just came up - get it fast; SB6141 only $100 shipped

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mot ··· 37059853

Morning Update: sorry, that ebay sold within the hour.
also my own modem software did NOT update overnight.

here's a non-primetime Standard 10/1 service speed test;

but my speed varies widely during prime time to half of this.

Afternoon Update: dropped off modem with no problems other
than the long wait... was told 45min turned into 90min easy,
but i got some shopping done nearby, so it was no big deal.

thus my oddessy endeth... i just hope i don't later regret
having not spent quadruple the money on a docsis3 modem.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7

Level III support is great. Took about 5 min to activate my SBG6580. Thanks for the number!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Packeteers

MVM,

to Packeteers
Your modem will update only if there's a TWC-approved update available. Just because the latest Motorola puts out is higher than your current version does not mean your current one is outdated for use on the TWC network.

If there are no issues resolved in the newer firmware that pertain to TWC's network, then they may not bother going through the process of certifying it for use and distributing it. "If it ain't broke...".

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

think i figured as much

what about clicking on the "factory default restore" in the firmware before i go to sleep - might that force an update from TWCable? or should i just leave well enough alone.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Packeteers:

think i figured as much

what about clicking on the "factory default restore" in the firmware before i go to sleep - might that force an update from TWCable? or should i just leave well enough alone.

That likely won't do anything useful.

Like I said, if there's no firmware available from TWC, then there's nothing to update (and no reason to, really). If there is an update available, I assume TWC has the necessary scripts in place to push out the firmware periodically.

funstraw
@97.65.87.x

funstraw to hchen42

Anon

to hchen42
Wow, you would not believe the similarity in our stories. Even my call dropped on the first call just as I was giving my modem model number. But to be fair I was on a cell phone in a very thick building with only two bars. But my call did drop.
I was told between 24 and 48 hours for the provision to happen.
The instructions said it would be quick and easy which it is not. I understand they are busy and have alot of people doing this but even if they didn't waiting two days is not quick and easy.
funstraw

funstraw

Anon

(update)My modem was provisioned about 12-15 hours after I called.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to funstraw

to funstraw
said by funstraw :

Wow, you would not believe the similarity in our stories. Even my call dropped on the first call just as I was giving my modem model number. But to be fair I was on a cell phone in a very thick building with only two bars. But my call did drop.
I was told between 24 and 48 hours for the provision to happen.
The instructions said it would be quick and easy which it is not. I understand they are busy and have alot of people doing this but even if they didn't waiting two days is not quick and easy.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, they'll provision for you pretty quickly.

I just returned my cable modem to TWC. I was 20th on the queue, judging by the equipments the people were carrying, I counted roughly 7 with modems only (not including me). The return was very painless and fast.
adrman
Premium Member
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY

adrman to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

call Level3 Directly next time here is the number.
866-506-0218

Just wanted to say thanks for the phone number. I'm activated. Called 1 time, after 10 minutes on hold, I spoke to an agent who told me to connect the new modem and he'd call my mobile in 10 minutes once it was activated and in the system. After 20 minutes and no sign of life, I called back. After an additional 30 minutes on hold, I was connected to the same agent. "Oh yeah, I wasn't sure on the mac address I wrote down, if it was a 3 or a B." Why he didn't bother to call me back, I have no idea. Anyway, after an additional 20 or 25 minutes on the phone with him, I'm up and running.
adrman

adrman to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Opening the modem's internal webpage at »192.168.100.1 will show you all the channels currently bonded and signal levels for each. This interface isn't available on some TWC provided modems, but it is on all the SB6xxx (and earlier) modems.

Does anyone know the default password for the 6141? I've tried all the usual suspects and a search yields nothing.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by adrman:

Does anyone know the default password for the 6141? I've tried all the usual suspects and a search yields nothing.

Password for what screens? The 6141 is just a modem and I have not found any areas that need a password.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

said by swintec:

Password for what screens? The 6141 is just a modem and I have not found any areas that need a password.

The web configurator at 192.168.100.1

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by adrman:

said by swintec:

The web configurator at 192.168.100.1

Oh weird, i can get to all of the screens, status, signal, log, etc. I hope they are not rolling out a change to password this.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm unable to. I just hit the login screen. I didn't even consider the possibility this could be TWC's doing. I'd be pretty upset at them locking me out of my own device if it was.