Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to Packeteers

Mod

to Packeteers

Re: [TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

I noticed my SB6141's firmware is a little out of date too. It's version 1.0.6.3 when the latest seems to be 1.0.6.6.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

Same here, hopefully TW sends updated one to users with 6141 sometime, but with their schedule with these things could be a year

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by kilrathi:

Same here, hopefully TW sends updated one to users with 6141 sometime, but with their schedule with these things could be a year

Why would they if the current one is not causing issues?

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

well with that kind of mentality we could still use old software and firmware on a lot of devices, key is if there is new firmware out officially by maker of the modem, too bad there is no way to find out what the changes are or at least I can find out but comcast did roll out this firmware to their customers with 6141.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
I asked about pushing software to my modem 3 days ago when i registered my new MAC, and the Tier-3 guy says their system automatically pushes it out as needed - I'm hoping over night or over a weekend... so by the 15th if I don't see an update, I'll call support and annoy them with our concerns. I read other forums that claim TWCable is very conservative with new firmware since they often have problems with such updates and end up having to roll it back. So the latest supported version may vary from cable system to cable system.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to kilrathi

Premium Member

to kilrathi
i think modem firmware is tested in house extensively to make sure it works with the network in all the areas.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
a 3 day auction just came up - get it fast; SB6141 only $100 shipped

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mot ··· 37059853

Morning Update: sorry, that ebay sold within the hour.
also my own modem software did NOT update overnight.

here's a non-primetime Standard 10/1 service speed test;

but my speed varies widely during prime time to half of this.

Afternoon Update: dropped off modem with no problems other
than the long wait... was told 45min turned into 90min easy,
but i got some shopping done nearby, so it was no big deal.

thus my oddessy endeth... i just hope i don't later regret
having not spent quadruple the money on a docsis3 modem.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7

Level III support is great. Took about 5 min to activate my SBG6580. Thanks for the number!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Packeteers

MVM,

to Packeteers
Your modem will update only if there's a TWC-approved update available. Just because the latest Motorola puts out is higher than your current version does not mean your current one is outdated for use on the TWC network.

If there are no issues resolved in the newer firmware that pertain to TWC's network, then they may not bother going through the process of certifying it for use and distributing it. "If it ain't broke...".

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

think i figured as much

what about clicking on the "factory default restore" in the firmware before i go to sleep - might that force an update from TWCable? or should i just leave well enough alone.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Packeteers:

think i figured as much

what about clicking on the "factory default restore" in the firmware before i go to sleep - might that force an update from TWCable? or should i just leave well enough alone.

That likely won't do anything useful.

Like I said, if there's no firmware available from TWC, then there's nothing to update (and no reason to, really). If there is an update available, I assume TWC has the necessary scripts in place to push out the firmware periodically.

funstraw
@97.65.87.x

funstraw to hchen42

Anon

to hchen42
Wow, you would not believe the similarity in our stories. Even my call dropped on the first call just as I was giving my modem model number. But to be fair I was on a cell phone in a very thick building with only two bars. But my call did drop.
I was told between 24 and 48 hours for the provision to happen.
The instructions said it would be quick and easy which it is not. I understand they are busy and have alot of people doing this but even if they didn't waiting two days is not quick and easy.
funstraw

funstraw

Anon

(update)My modem was provisioned about 12-15 hours after I called.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to funstraw

to funstraw
said by funstraw :

Wow, you would not believe the similarity in our stories. Even my call dropped on the first call just as I was giving my modem model number. But to be fair I was on a cell phone in a very thick building with only two bars. But my call did drop.
I was told between 24 and 48 hours for the provision to happen.
The instructions said it would be quick and easy which it is not. I understand they are busy and have alot of people doing this but even if they didn't waiting two days is not quick and easy.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, they'll provision for you pretty quickly.

I just returned my cable modem to TWC. I was 20th on the queue, judging by the equipments the people were carrying, I counted roughly 7 with modems only (not including me). The return was very painless and fast.
adrman
Premium Member
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY

adrman to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

call Level3 Directly next time here is the number.
866-506-0218

Just wanted to say thanks for the phone number. I'm activated. Called 1 time, after 10 minutes on hold, I spoke to an agent who told me to connect the new modem and he'd call my mobile in 10 minutes once it was activated and in the system. After 20 minutes and no sign of life, I called back. After an additional 30 minutes on hold, I was connected to the same agent. "Oh yeah, I wasn't sure on the mac address I wrote down, if it was a 3 or a B." Why he didn't bother to call me back, I have no idea. Anyway, after an additional 20 or 25 minutes on the phone with him, I'm up and running.
adrman

adrman to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Opening the modem's internal webpage at »192.168.100.1 will show you all the channels currently bonded and signal levels for each. This interface isn't available on some TWC provided modems, but it is on all the SB6xxx (and earlier) modems.

Does anyone know the default password for the 6141? I've tried all the usual suspects and a search yields nothing.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by adrman:

Does anyone know the default password for the 6141? I've tried all the usual suspects and a search yields nothing.

Password for what screens? The 6141 is just a modem and I have not found any areas that need a password.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

said by swintec:

Password for what screens? The 6141 is just a modem and I have not found any areas that need a password.

The web configurator at 192.168.100.1

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by adrman:

said by swintec:

The web configurator at 192.168.100.1

Oh weird, i can get to all of the screens, status, signal, log, etc. I hope they are not rolling out a change to password this.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm unable to. I just hit the login screen. I didn't even consider the possibility this could be TWC's doing. I'd be pretty upset at them locking me out of my own device if it was.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
Yea I have 6141, I bought it while back because I was sick and tired of having to call T3 to find out what my signals are or of there are errors in the log etc.... cause with 6580 they were blocking access. 6141 works fine and there is no way to password it as far as I know, if TW managed to block it that would suck big time.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

Just posted this in the Motorola forum as well. I now have it confirmed by TWC that this is due to their provisioning file being incorrect. Evidently, the file that they pushed assumes that the 6141 is one of their wireless router modems. Several people have called in today with the same complaint, so hopefully we'll see a resolution soon.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

ouch, suprised it worked at all.
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

nony to adrman