share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to dave

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

said by dave:

10 million interrupts per second seems like a hell of a lot. If it takes of the order of a few hundred instructions to service an interrupt, that's more than one CPU core's worth.

Yes, that's across all eight "cores" of the Core i7 CPU.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

But my point is that consuming one whole core just for interrupt handling is not normal.

Unless you're servicing a lot of non-DMA devices. (Are USB devices DMA? Dunno)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I only have a Logitech Keyboard & Mouse receiver (one USB device services them both) and a Logitech web cam. Only two USB devices are plugged into the machine at any one time. It's rare, but sometimes I connect my Android phone to the computer but usually only for short periods of time and I disconnect it when I'm finished.

LatencyMon says that some nVidia driver along with the NDIS, TCP/IP, and USBPORT driver are also part of the problem but it changes depending upon the state of the machine. As you can guess, tracking down which driver is causing this issue has been rather difficult.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I can't help but to think that somewhere in this system of mine, hardware is failing and that this is a sign of the beginning of the end for it.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Damn it, I solved the problem. Too bad I had to use the "sledge hammer" method to do so. I reformatted my machine and reinstalled from scratch. Guess what? No issues. No DPC Latency spikes according to DPC Latency Checker v1.3.
--
Tom

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

Just for comparison, what's the interrupt rate now?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
Interrupts
Screenshot.

MrWhsprs
Premium
join:2000-04-22
Round Lake, IL
reply to Vchat20

said by Vchat20:

-IF- you use hibernate, move it.

Just a quick note that the hibernate file can't be moved. It's my understanding that the hibernate file will always be (and can only be) in the root of the system partition, where ntldr is located.
--
Mike

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts
And the damn monster is back. ARG!!!!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

said by trparky:

So do I even need a page file for a system that has 8 or 12 GBs of RAM?

Depends what you're doing with it. I run 16GB with no pagefile, but I'm gonna have to turn that puppy back on when I start running my VMs again. If you're just surfing the web and checking your email, you're probably good without a pagefile even at 4GB.

Turn off hibernation, set the pagefile initial size to 0, max size to whatever (usually equal to the amount of RAM you have is a good policy, double your RAM if you have 4GB or less) and Windows won't page out unless it absolutely needs to. Disabling the pagefile altogether means a crash if you fill your RAM, setting it to a 0 initial size means it won't be used unless your RAM is literally full; giving it a nonzero initial size means Windows will page out enough data to fill that initial size as soon as there's enough disk idle time for it to do so without impacting performance. It does this and marks the paged out portion of RAM as disposable, so it knows it can just free that RAM without having to page it our first (since it's already written to disk), but if you never actually fill your RAM, you're using erase-write cycles on your SSD needlessly.

Actually ideal for the pagefile is set min and max to the same size so it doesn't re-size it

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by DKS:

Let Windows 7 do its thing and the rest of us should be fine.

There's no alignment issue with Windows 7 - it knows how to do the alignment.

Previous versions of Windows did not; so those are the systems on which you need to fix the alignment (if you care). That includes the update from not-Win7 to Win7 case, of course.

If in doubt check the alignment, its a few command line commands and you can see if its aligned.

if its not then fix
this applies to all SSD's and all 4k block drives (often called advanced format, as the 4k block size was needed to make drives over 2TB)

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
reply to DarkLogix

You're thinking spinning disk, where there are performance implications to fragmentation. Taking that out of the equation changes the game; the ideal pagefile is the smallest one you can get away with at any given moment.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by BronsCon:

You're thinking spinning disk, where there are performance implications to fragmentation. Taking that out of the equation changes the game; the ideal pagefile is the smallest one you can get away with at any given moment.

Re-sizing is extra IO, though if you have enough ram then set a small page file, I have 24GB of ram so I set a tiny pagefile with same min/max size so its there but doesn't do anything.

If it has to change the file size that is more IO than if it just had to update the data of the file, so its still a good idea for a non-changing size. (though if you have enough memory to not need a pagefile then it's going to sit there empty and not have an effect anyway.)

and short of 2 programs I use nothing has come close to filing my ram and even those 2 haven't fully filled it.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to trparky

Your screenshot shows count, not rate. A high count is not necessarily a problem.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

dave See Profile, what do you want to see? What graphs, data tables, etc. do you want to see?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts v2
Ok, here's a new graph.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
DPC Graph
And now the DPCs...

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to trparky

I was reading through the FAQ's on the Intel site yesterday while downloading the firmware update for some 40GB Intel SSDs. Poor performance is one of the times they do recommend a low-level format of the SSD. It may not fix your problem, but is possibly something to look at.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Ok, but here's the problem. It starts out fast, boots up fast, starts up apps fast, generally it's very fast. Then, as the system is used over time the machine gradually slows down to where apps take forever to load relative to how it is when the system first boots. To fix this I'd reboot, reboot and everything gets zippy again. But, wait a couple of hours and it's slow-mo again.

I'm at my wits end here. There is no reason on God's green Earth that a machine of this caliber should be slowing down like this. There just isn't any call for it.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

If I had a bad SSD, a reboot wouldn't magically solve the issue. It would be slow-mo all the time, not just after awhile of being up without a reboot.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Besides, I have another computer that's also a Core i7 and it's only processing about 2,000 Interrupts/seconds whereas my machine processing nearly 10,000!

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to trparky

It sounds like you have a running program with a memory leak, or similar issue, or a problem with the memory controller on the system board. Check all the fans and make sure it is not getting too hot. Does the problem occur if you just start up the system and let it sit for a few hours without actively using it?

I would start at the lowest level and work your way up. Make sure the system board BIOS is up to date. Reset it to defaults and then make any needed adjustments (AHCI, IDE, etc.).

Update all drivers and software. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the system board chip-set, video card, network, etc.

Load all the Windows updates, including the other programs and optional updates. Update Java, Flash, and Acrobat.

Switch to Firefox as your primary browser. I have not made it the default browser, but have stopped using IE. Issues with slow loading websites has greatly diminished.

I don't have an answer for you, but that is what I would check first.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

said by billaustin:

Check all the fans and make sure it is not getting too hot.

All fans are working well, CPU temps fluctuate between 46C and 50C at idle.

said by billaustin:

Does the problem occur if you just start up the system and let it sit for a few hours without actively using it?

Yep, I could let it sit doing nothing after a reboot and the same issue will occur.

said by billaustin:

Make sure the system board BIOS is up to date.

Up-to-date BIOS, at least as up-to-date as it can be. Last BIOS update was from May 11th, 2011.

said by billaustin:

Reset it to defaults and then make any needed adjustments (AHCI, IDE, etc.).

Been there, done that. Multiple times even!

said by billaustin:

Update all drivers and software. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the system board chip-set, video card, network, etc.

I've updated as many drivers as I can update. Some of the hardware in this machine hasn't seen driver updates in well over a year, some even longer.

said by billaustin:

Load all the Windows updates, including the other programs and optional updates. Update Java, Flash, and Acrobat.

Done that.

said by billaustin:

Switch to Firefox as your primary browser.

I use Palemoon 64-bit, which is a Firefox clone.
--
Tom

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

Try the standard Firefox and see if it makes any difference. Other than that, use msconfig and review everything that loads in the background.

I would do a low-level format, reload windows and updates, and see if the problem is still there. If so, I would replace the system board. If not, start loading software back one at a time and testing until the problem returns.

Try doing some extensive hardware tests. Use Memtest86 or something similar. If you have the time, and another system to test with, try swapping CPU, RAM, and Video one at a time and see if the problem goes away or follows to the other system.

Did you have this problem before switching to a SSD?

Have you disabled write caching for the drive?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

2 edits

So I decided to do something really stupid. I went into MSCONFIG and told it to boot into Diagnostic Startup Mode; the mode that only loads basic devices and services.

So I did that. I rebooted the machine and let it come back up. Launched Performance Monitor and looked at the Interrupts per second. Now they were where they should be, sitting at around 1,000 Interrupts per second. GREAT!

So I told the system to boot normally via MSCONFIG but this time I disabled all services that weren't Microsoft services. Boot the machine back up, great... high Interrupts per Second.

So I decided to disable the nVidia video card drivers and go back to standard VGA drivers. No help there. I reinstalled the nVidia drivers and disabled the network card, rebooted, again... no help there. So I disabled the sound cards and rebooted. YES! Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!

So I re-enabled the base system sound card and the USB sound card that is really only the microphone on my Logitech web cam and rebooted the system. Once again, Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!

One last driver, the only one that I've not yet enabled. DFX Audio Enhancer. I re-enabled that and rebooted, once again, Interrupts in the sky high range. I disabled it again, rebooted, and once again Interrupts were where they should be.

At this point... the whole problem has been caused by DFX Audio Enhancer. If you don't know what that is, it's a program that installs a virtual sound card and enhances the sound of all system apps and restores certain characteristics that may have been lost in compressed audio such as MP3s and whatnot. Apparently this program in a very damn buggy program (and kernel-mode driver) and that it should be avoided at all costs, that is, if you want your system to run properly.

Now I need to find a suitable replacement program for DFX Audio.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

And unfortunately, I'm back to the initial problem again. System slowdown after some time of being online after a reboot.

Could be anything at this point. Memory, memory controller, CPU, motherboard, etc. At this point it seems like it would be best to just trash the system and rebuild it.
--
Tom

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Nothing. Do absolutely nothing. Just don't run defrag and don't even "align" the drive. Just let it run.

That's probably the best advice offered in this thread.

I'd also suggest a RAM drive for temporary internet files using the free Dataram RAMdisk, to help against wear levelling and speed things up, or if using Firefox just turn off the disk cache and crank up the memory cache in about:config.

Intel also recommends disabling Superfetch / Prefetch.