So I decided to do something really stupid. I went into MSCONFIG and told it to boot into Diagnostic Startup Mode; the mode that only loads basic devices and services.
So I did that. I rebooted the machine and let it come back up. Launched Performance Monitor and looked at the Interrupts per second. Now they were where they should be, sitting at around 1,000 Interrupts per second. GREAT!
So I told the system to boot normally via MSCONFIG but this time I disabled all services that weren't Microsoft services. Boot the machine back up, great
... high Interrupts per Second.
So I decided to disable the nVidia video card drivers and go back to standard VGA drivers. No help there. I reinstalled the nVidia drivers and disabled the network card, rebooted, again... no help there. So I disabled the sound cards and rebooted. YES! Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!
So I re-enabled the base system sound card and the USB sound card that is really only the microphone on my Logitech web cam and rebooted the system. Once again, Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!
One last driver, the only one that I've not yet enabled. DFX Audio Enhancer. I re-enabled that and rebooted, once again, Interrupts in the sky high range. I disabled it again, rebooted, and once again Interrupts were where they should be.
At this point... the whole problem has been caused by DFX Audio Enhancer. If you don't know what that is, it's a program that installs a virtual sound card and enhances the sound of all system apps and restores certain characteristics that may have been lost in compressed audio such as MP3s and whatnot. Apparently this program in a very damn buggy program (and kernel-mode driver) and that it should be avoided at all costs, that is, if you want your system to run properly.
Now I need to find a suitable replacement program for DFX Audio.--
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)