share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to trparky

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

Besides, I have another computer that's also a Core i7 and it's only processing about 2,000 Interrupts/seconds whereas my machine processing nearly 10,000!

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to trparky
It sounds like you have a running program with a memory leak, or similar issue, or a problem with the memory controller on the system board. Check all the fans and make sure it is not getting too hot. Does the problem occur if you just start up the system and let it sit for a few hours without actively using it?

I would start at the lowest level and work your way up. Make sure the system board BIOS is up to date. Reset it to defaults and then make any needed adjustments (AHCI, IDE, etc.).

Update all drivers and software. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the system board chip-set, video card, network, etc.

Load all the Windows updates, including the other programs and optional updates. Update Java, Flash, and Acrobat.

Switch to Firefox as your primary browser. I have not made it the default browser, but have stopped using IE. Issues with slow loading websites has greatly diminished.

I don't have an answer for you, but that is what I would check first.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
said by billaustin:

Check all the fans and make sure it is not getting too hot.

All fans are working well, CPU temps fluctuate between 46C and 50C at idle.

said by billaustin:

Does the problem occur if you just start up the system and let it sit for a few hours without actively using it?

Yep, I could let it sit doing nothing after a reboot and the same issue will occur.

said by billaustin:

Make sure the system board BIOS is up to date.

Up-to-date BIOS, at least as up-to-date as it can be. Last BIOS update was from May 11th, 2011.

said by billaustin:

Reset it to defaults and then make any needed adjustments (AHCI, IDE, etc.).

Been there, done that. Multiple times even!

said by billaustin:

Update all drivers and software. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the system board chip-set, video card, network, etc.

I've updated as many drivers as I can update. Some of the hardware in this machine hasn't seen driver updates in well over a year, some even longer.

said by billaustin:

Load all the Windows updates, including the other programs and optional updates. Update Java, Flash, and Acrobat.

Done that.

said by billaustin:

Switch to Firefox as your primary browser.

I use Palemoon 64-bit, which is a Firefox clone.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Try the standard Firefox and see if it makes any difference. Other than that, use msconfig and review everything that loads in the background.

I would do a low-level format, reload windows and updates, and see if the problem is still there. If so, I would replace the system board. If not, start loading software back one at a time and testing until the problem returns.

Try doing some extensive hardware tests. Use Memtest86 or something similar. If you have the time, and another system to test with, try swapping CPU, RAM, and Video one at a time and see if the problem goes away or follows to the other system.

Did you have this problem before switching to a SSD?

Have you disabled write caching for the drive?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

2 edits
So I decided to do something really stupid. I went into MSCONFIG and told it to boot into Diagnostic Startup Mode; the mode that only loads basic devices and services.

So I did that. I rebooted the machine and let it come back up. Launched Performance Monitor and looked at the Interrupts per second. Now they were where they should be, sitting at around 1,000 Interrupts per second. GREAT!

So I told the system to boot normally via MSCONFIG but this time I disabled all services that weren't Microsoft services. Boot the machine back up, great... high Interrupts per Second.

So I decided to disable the nVidia video card drivers and go back to standard VGA drivers. No help there. I reinstalled the nVidia drivers and disabled the network card, rebooted, again... no help there. So I disabled the sound cards and rebooted. YES! Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!

So I re-enabled the base system sound card and the USB sound card that is really only the microphone on my Logitech web cam and rebooted the system. Once again, Interrupts sitting where they should be! YAY!

One last driver, the only one that I've not yet enabled. DFX Audio Enhancer. I re-enabled that and rebooted, once again, Interrupts in the sky high range. I disabled it again, rebooted, and once again Interrupts were where they should be.

At this point... the whole problem has been caused by DFX Audio Enhancer. If you don't know what that is, it's a program that installs a virtual sound card and enhances the sound of all system apps and restores certain characteristics that may have been lost in compressed audio such as MP3s and whatnot. Apparently this program in a very damn buggy program (and kernel-mode driver) and that it should be avoided at all costs, that is, if you want your system to run properly.

Now I need to find a suitable replacement program for DFX Audio.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
And unfortunately, I'm back to the initial problem again. System slowdown after some time of being online after a reboot.

Could be anything at this point. Memory, memory controller, CPU, motherboard, etc. At this point it seems like it would be best to just trash the system and rebuild it.
--
Tom

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Nothing. Do absolutely nothing. Just don't run defrag and don't even "align" the drive. Just let it run.

That's probably the best advice offered in this thread.

I'd also suggest a RAM drive for temporary internet files using the free Dataram RAMdisk, to help against wear levelling and speed things up, or if using Firefox just turn off the disk cache and crank up the memory cache in about:config.

Intel also recommends disabling Superfetch / Prefetch.