spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KSS

@bell.ca

[Internet] Sagemcom modem/router setup

Hi, I recently got the Fibe25 internet (Fiber to home service) which came with the Sagemcom modem/router. I have a question regarding the setup of my home network. I have the whole house wired with cat5e and the Sagemcom modem is in the basement. The question is can I plug in D-Link 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (DGS-1008G) into LAN1 port of Sagemcom modem and Linksys wireless router to LAN2. The Linksys will be placed on the second floor of the house connected to a wall jack. While the other jacks in the house will be getting connection via the Dlink switch. Is this setup possible?

Bplayer

join:2012-06-28
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

Yes for the D-Link as the Sagemcom will establish the internet sign on function.

The Linksys could be configured as a wireless switch and function just like the D-Link but provide wireless functions. If required, the wireless functions of Sagemcom could be turned off.

KSS

@ppgecm.com

BPlayer: Thank you.

Also, the wire in the basement leading to the second floor jack (linksys wireless); Should that be cross over cable on the LAN1 end of the Sagemcom modem/router?

Rigor_M

join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

now a days, switch has a auto-mdx meaning that it will sence the way it needs to change ways to interact with other equipements.. so you can leave it like it already is.

KSS

@ppgecm.com

I tried this crimp config but the Sagemcom LAN1 port doesn't light up.

1 White/Orange
2 Orange
3 White/Green
4 Blue
5 White/Blue
6 Green
7 White/Brown
8 Brown

I hope this is straight pass through cimp config. Should it be different?

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario

That's the b config, just need to make sure both ends are the same if you want it to act like a regular cat5e cable, if it is not working, take a good look because you might have mixed up a wire or 2 just before you crimped
If you wanted a cross over cable you would crimp one side in the a config and the other side in the b config.