share rss forum feed

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

USG20 DNS question

On my last Zywall, the DNS servers the Zywall got over DHCP were listed in the status. With the USG20 I can't find the address of the DNS servers being used. Nor do I appear to be able to control DNS behavior.

Have I missed something or is there really no adjusting or seeing the DNS behavior of the USG20?

Thanks!
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

u475700
Premium
join:2004-02-16

I believe they are displayed in the Domain Zone Forwarder section of the Configuration/System/DNS panel.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to dnoyeB

The DNS for LAN that is passed via DHCP to clients is set in Network -> Interface -> Ethernet ... and pick your interface.

The DNS from your ISP you can see in System -> DNS -> Domain Zone Forwarder.
If you want to use your own defined DNS just insert it before the default line.

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR

Thanks Brano!

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

Is the USG going to do a query eventhough I manually entered a domain name / IP address pair?

I would have thought once I put the pair into the USG, it would no longer need to send the query out.

For some reason my DNS is still failing. It may be a bug with the UDP but im following that in a different thread. Here I just want to know if I should expect tht USG20 will NOT query a DNS server if I manually enter the pair.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

If you've entered IP/FQDN pair then there should not be additional query to defined DNS server (but this can be only confirmed with sniffer).
If you've entered simplified IP/hostname pair then I'd expect DNS query with default domain suffix added.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI

Im not 100% confident in those terms. Would you give an example of FQDN vs. simplified please?

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON

FQDN: 192.168.1.10 printer.mydomain.com
simple: 192.168.1.10 printer

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

OK, then I am using FQDN. However, this is for an address on the internet, not on my LAN. Hopefully that does not make a difference!?