how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Justastory

@termbilling.com

Too bad Acanac, really garbage company!

Thanks to Faneeza K!

As I know Acanac policy changed, it's now need to buy the modem, but as an old customer there's a commitment for the modem, I have $50 deposit for it and it should be return to me when I return the modem. Please indicate it's ok to issue me a cheque.
Anne L

Posted on 25 Sep 2012 08:08 PM
Dear Valued client,

We only buy back modems in case of cancellation within 30 days money back guarantee.

As it is mentioned in the agreement, "We do provide a full refund for the modem if
cancellation is made within the 30 day no obligation period."
»www.acanac.com/cgi-bin/acanac.cg···DSL.html

According to Acanac's policy, we cannot buy back the modems.

Best regards,

Anne L
Pam

Posted on 25 Sep 2012 10:14 PM
We never had such an agreement! As an old customer, I agreed to deposit money in Acanac not buy the modem! Please don't mix the old policy with the current policy!

Keep your words! Acanac!!
Pam

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 09:40 PM
I kept the original invoice:
nvoice# Generated Date Paid Date Description Status Total
139200 2008-05-30 2008-05-30 Setup CND-DSL Pro-RES 12 month-(deposit:49.95)

and your letter about it:

Re: Acanac Inc. Invoice

Dear Xiaguang Guo,

Please note that modem deposit fee is refundable either when your account is terminated or in case, you don't want to use our modem.

Please let us know if need further assistance.
Best Regards,
Acanac Inc.
Pam

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 09:41 PM
If you have any difficult to deal with this case, ask your manager to handle!
Faneeza K.

Posted on 02 Oct 2012 04:29 PM
Dear valued client,

Unfortunately, we do no buy back modems.

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

Modems

I don't want to add to your being upset anymore than you are now, or to argue with you.

I just want to point out some things, others should be aware of.

Here's your original invoice.
Setup CND-DSL Pro-RES 12month-(deposit:49.95) 2008-05-30

Effective August 2008 all DSL Modems became purchases.

Since then you have renewed several times, once you renew your deposit would become a purchase.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tks

aaakanak

@ccc.de
How were customers notified of the change before renewal?

freetalk

join:2012-10-03
reply to Justastory

Re: Too bad Acanac, really garbage company!

Several renewals after they change their policy. but no one notified me it became a purchase! If I know it will become a purchase, I can choose do not purchase such a garbage!
Expand your moderator at work

carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

3 edits
reply to Fergless

Re: Modems

Dear valued service supplier Acanac

I dont know where this client lives, but in Quebec, it was not enough to simply change the Terms of Service on your website or on subsequent invoices.

You had to communicate with him SPECIFICALLY about that change and before it occurred and he d have had the priviledge to either accept or refuse. You d have had to make him a reasonable offer...it was something to negotiate. You cant change a contract unilaterally in a stealthy way. It had to be a totally specific communication to him about that matter.

I guess Ontario would have some kind of provision for such case also.

Now, of course, I should check what was the legal framework in 2008...Oh, I m too lazy

HowAboutThat

@videotron.ca

1 edit
said by carcajou:

Oh, I m too lazy

I'm not.

Matter of fact (and once again) we had this "deposit issue" discussed in these forums with the owner of Acanac, see: »Stay away from Acanac service ! No more taking modem back

Also, do a search in that forum for "deposit".

Not the first time this comes up. Nor can some forum employee's just pop in and say we kept your deposit due to some change in policy we made but never informed you of.

A deposit is just what it is by definition, a deposit that is refunded.

Even Paul (the owner) stated this:
»Re: Acanac Inc..

Paul even stated (contrary to fergless the Acanac forum employee) that they took deposits and even used the word deposit well after 2008:
»Acanac Inc..

This has been discussed to death and people who gave deposits are supposed to get it back, and are entitled to it (both legally and per Acanac).

So we have this:
said by Fergless:

Here's your original invoice.
Setup CND-DSL Pro-RES 12month-(deposit:49.95) 2008-05-30

Yup, there is that word deposit.

said by Fergless:

Effective August 2008 all DSL Modems became purchases.

Since then you have renewed several times, once you renew your deposit would become a purchase.

Not true, refer to link up above where this was not the case well over a year after 2008, and even your boss (the owner) stating this.

Acanac really should have informed their beloved customers of this monetary and material change before just arbitrarily deciding to keep their customers refundable deposit.

Only one person to blame here for this and that would be Acanac. They do have a responsibility to inform people of monetary and material changes. But chose not to, and instead kept it secret as they ripped people's deposits off

Anyhow, Justastory, up to you to fight it. There are free options for you to use and you can also include Pauls (the owners) own words to show what fergless stated is not true at all.

And there is lots more about this "deposit" issue if you care to use the "search" function in these forums.

carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

2 edits
Oooooooooh, thank you so MUCH for that link to Paul s post !!!

Oh boy ! Oh boy ! He wrote:
`
" We have no fine print. In fact our contract uses 12 point font size to be exact:) "

You see I have been doing superhuman efforts to get them define the words " date of activation " because they have a 30 days unconditional money-back guarantee and, as per their website, that period starts from " activation ". I sent emails; I posted in their forum demanding that they define that; I got in a shouting match by PM with them asking that simple question " Do you mean those 30 days start from the date on the invoice or the date the service was installed and running ? " There are sometimes 3-4 weeks from invoice to installation. Do we get 30 or 7 days to evaluate the service ?

And " Mr no fine print " gave strict orders that I should never get an answer. My threads on the matter were duly deleted.

Mr Acanac, please come here and define the words " date of activation " as per the promise on your website.

Yes...you guessed it. When a subscriber actually tries to use that 30-day clause....

There is something way worse than fine prints and it is blatant ambiguity and misleading statements in big bold red letters.

Note also that the date of billing is also used as the renewal date of your contract; in effect giving you 11 months of service when you paid 12 ( if you waited 4 weeks to get a running connection ). The only way to get your full 12 months is by arguing with the billing Dept to get your date of renewal moved. Is that even legal ? I doubt it.

Paul starts charging you the day you order the service, but himself starts paying Bell or Videotron for the use of their infrastructures the day of installation. He found a pretty neat way to get a period with 100% profit with zero expenses.

HowAboutThat

@videotron.ca
said by carcajou:

You see I have been doing superhuman efforts to get them define the words " date of activation " because they have a 30 days unconditional money-back guarantee and, as per their website, that period starts from " activation ".

That would be from the date your service is activated and functional as to what was ordered.

There are a few things here that happen:

1. Billing date does not equal activation date.

2. Activation date does not equal the day where you will get what you bought because Bell will often put people on a 3-meg profile to say they got you up and running and then you have to fight with the ISP to give you the speed tier you bought. Normally this gets straightened out withing 48-hrs, sometimes not.

3. Sometimes, if step # 2 is involved with a 3-meg temporary maintenance profile, your actual activation date can be 48-hrs to a week after this.

4. Activated and you have nothing. Some Bell error or wrong route or whatever causes you not to have service. Then you play phone tag (or rather Email tag w/ Acanac).

I mean most everyone knows this. Paul knows this he's been involved in this for years. Fergless knows this, he's been hearing the b*tching for years in the forums here and their own.

But, everyone takes activation as being #2. But, Acanac isn't everyone. They like to define their own consumer laws even.

I don't see what the big deal is about answering this. Guess vagueness rules supreme when you try to exploit people for all they're worth.

saynotofk

join:2012-12-14
reply to Justastory

Re: Too bad Acanac, really garbage company!

Yup stay away from Faneeza