uniqs

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to cheapo

to cheapo

Re: Process to switch to voip phone?

said by cheapo :

What is the order of the steps to switch to voip like freephoneline or voip.ms from Telus as painlessly as possible?

I have Telus Home Phone and Internet and want to keep my phone #, and adsl internet.

Do I tell the voip provider to port my number and then call telus to cancel my phone service a day later or when? Is it a problem that I also have telus internet adsl that I want to keep?

You don't call Telus about canceling your phone line, you will lose your number if you do that. The only thing you have to contact them about is to get a dry loop installed for your internet service. (I'm not sure if you even need to do that, they should see your number was ported and automatically assign and charge you for the dry loop.)

You initiate the port with your VoIP provider and they do everything. With voip.ms, you simply scan your most recent (signed) bill, then you will receive an FOC date from Telus telling you when the port will be completed. With Bell, it's 5 days, not sure about Telus though.

When I ported mine over to voip.ms, my internet service still worked fine even though I had to wait a couple more days for my scheduled appointment for the dry loop. I'm not sure if a tech actually has to come out to do anything, I'm sure it can all be done remotely, but in my case Bell moved me to a new closer DSLAM they just installed.

cheapo
@telus.net

cheapo

Anon

Does Telus charge for a dry loop? I can't find that on their website.

And is that just a term for a phone line without phone service, but with ADSL? Or is there something physical that must be done to my wiring?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

1 edit

xsbell

said by cheapo :

Does Telus charge for a dry loop? I can't find that on their website.

And is that just a term for a phone line without phone service, but with ADSL? Or is there something physical that must be done to my wiring?

After going through a couple threads, it seems they don't charge you for a dry loop. (Only wholesale users)

Yeah, a wet loop means you have phone service on that line, dry obviously means it doesn't. Nothing physical has to be done, unless they want to switch pairs, move you to a different port, or DSLAM altogether.

m999
@telus.net

m999

Anon

Just a note on voip.ms, I kept my number and just got a new one with them - kids tying up my main line was the reason. Based on my exceptionally good experience a few friends ported their numbers to voip.ms and it went very well.

They also signed up for enhanced 911 services. One friend had to try it out and it worked very well when he inadvertently cut his arm open with a knife. Highly recommended.

They use a PAP2T and have very good internet connections...

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by m999 :

... he inadvertently cut his arm open with a knife. Highly recommended.

They use a PAP2T and have very good internet connections...

LOL sorry that is how I read it...