how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Katikiany

@rogers.com

1 PC on network very slow

Please help!

I have 1 PC running WIN XP SP3 on a network that is very slow. 100Mb full duplex has been set via auto on NIC (already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, updating drivers and manual config on linkspeed and duplex) but I can't get 1 Mbps. I have a USB HDD connected to my router that I can access through FTP and I can't even get 1 Mbps downloading from it. All other PCs and other devices connected through ethernet or wireless are getting speeds advertised or better. I think it has to be a setting on the PC (registry or other) that is capping my speed but I don't know where to look. Issue remains after Tweaking with Dr.TCP.

1.»/tweakr/block:···a=normal
2. 731 Kbps down and 761 Kbps Up also 0.75 Mbps Down and 0.74 Mbps up on speedtest.net
3. »/pingtest/25a7···726?r=63
4. Cable Rogers SMC
5. NA
6. NA
7. WIN XP
8. 32 Mbps
9. on a network - no ICS or VPN
10. Yes ASUS RTN-16

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

try replacing the Ethernet cable first.

If you are using a patch panel replace both the cable to the machine from the wall and the one from the patch panel to the switch.

I would put an entirely different machine where this slow machine is and see the issue reoccurs with the other machine.

If it does not see if the slow machine still shows slow in the other location. (assuming this is an office etc.)

Otherwise just try a different port on the switch if replacing the cable does not fix it.

Katikiany

@rogers.com
reply to Katikiany

After a lot of wire running and additional testing I've found that the issue lies with the router. Specifically the ASUS RT-N16 router's QoS settings. With the RT-N16 it can be set to have specific protocols take priority and/or certain clients take priority. It seems if any client is given high priority all devices connected via ethernet get less than 1 mbps even if it is the client given priority. Also the issue occurs immediately on setting priority but isn't resolved until a reboot of the router after all QoS settings have been removed.

I am so not looking forward to contacting ASUS about this.

Katikiany

@rogers.com
reply to Aranarth

ASUS had new firmware available - updated and QoS 1000% better.
Only issue was that firmware has been changed so drastically that saved config file was practically useless and it took forever to set up the network with all MAC filters, forced DHCP addressing and NAT settings before I could even touch on QoS. But, all is done thanks for the input Aranarth.

Lesson learned - when troubleshooting never blindly believe that a device is doing what it is set to.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Katikiany

Yep start at the bottom and work your way up.

Any time I have data transfer issues I check the cable first.

I have seen cables worn through by vibration, chewed on by rodents, nicked and cut by sharp corners or metal in drop ceilings.

Next check the nic settings its easy to forget to double check that a nic is to auto. (You had already done this.)

Story: I was working at a hospital and the staff on one floor in an annex building were complaining that everything was always slow and noone had ever been able to fix it. Since I doing a rollout and scripts and installs were coming down over the network (and damn it WAS slow). I told the floor manager I would look into it. Turns out the problem should have been fixed two years before when the switch had been replaced with a gig-e switch with a fiber connection to to main building. I went back to the machines we were redoing and found that they were still hard set to 10mbit nonduplex.
After redoing the driver and switching them all to auto suddenly everyone was running at full speed. I told the IT manager I reported to the cause and the solution. He was NOT happy and the admin guy in charge of the area got a little chat.

Next I check to see if it is the port on the router or switch.

I have found that if you are doing a star burst arrangement the switches chained of the first switch should use the lower port numbers on a switch especially if it is an older one. And always using port number one as your uplink port unless you have the manual or know for sure that some other port can be used as an uplink.

Finally checking your router itself, modem, etc. depending on your layout.

In some cases checking the server but I usually leave that up to the server guy as it is usually not me.