uniqs

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to bluepoint

Anon

to bluepoint

Re: [TWC] Deciphering tracert

said by bluepoint:

Wrong, a technically knowledgeable person will look at every hop, any congestion at each route will affect the latency. And that's why traceroute helps technical people to find router problems if any.

A traceroute directs UDP or ICMP at EACH HOP separately, and gets an ICMP response from EACH HOP separately. Each measurement of latency is for the time which that individual hop responded to the UDP or ICMP from the traceroute.

If I am getting low latency from the last hop, then that is all that matters.

Latency at any particular hop that doesn't continue is latency to the CPU of that particular router hop. Modern day service provider routers have the management plane separated from the forwarding plane. A router responds to traceroutes from its management plane. If that management plane is busy, it will delay the ICMP response to the traceroute. All of the other traceroute packets pass through the router's forwarding plane, which is controlled by ASICs or other dedicated CPUs within the linecards of the router and are designed to forward packets quickly.

Maybe now you'll understand why high latency from a specific hop does not affect the entire round trip if the same latency is not being added to each hop thereafter.

Latency caused by congestion would show up at every hop in the traceroute, because the forwarding plane (the linecards) have the actual ports that would be congested. Adding the congestion latency to each traceroute packet that is being sent to each subsequent packet after the congested port.

This traceroute shows no signs of congestion latency.

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
On a cliff

golden eagle

Premium Member

Whoosh. Okay that being said what could be causing my consistent connection issues? TWC seems to be of little help. As it turns out that "24 hour device watch" is a 14 day watch and short of sending someone out to check my line when I experience the issue - which TW doesn't send techs out at that hour - I may be sol. They told me last night that my "modem is offline" but I was connected to the net. Certain pages did load it just took forever. I mean I understand that as demand grows during the day my speeds will be lower but starting last week and coming to a climax the last two nights nights I've been essentially regulated to an AOL dial-up connection. I couldn't even log in here last night to read thru this thread.

All I know as a novice is that my issue is consistent -every day and there's a pattern to it - in the evenings. I'd like to get more insight so I can understand what the cause is.