spc
uniqs

alpreston
@telus.net

alpreston to nss_tech

Anon

to nss_tech

Re: [AB] V1000H: unable to print to LAN printer

The server was previously connected to a Dlink DI-624 router, not a modem.
WackyGaru
join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB

WackyGaru

The V100H is a router as well.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech to alpreston

to alpreston
said by alpreston :

The server was previously connected to a Dlink DI-624 router, not a modem.

I guessed as much but what modem did you have?

The Actiontec is... not perfect and is likely the cause of you problems. Are you on ADSL only or do you have TV also?

alpreston
@telus.net

alpreston

Anon

We have both ADSL and TV on the system. The old setup was a Telus-supplied modem, which I think was a Speedtouch, to which I'd connected my own DI-624 router. I can't check the name or model, as the tech took it back when he hooked up the V1000H.

I suspect the V1000H router is not responding to the print server's DHCP query, or not recognizing/accepting it's MAC address: though it sees there is a connection, detects the connection speed, and reports a number of packets sent and received, it's not assigning an IP address to the device.
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

You could also have a bad port on the Actiontec. Have you tried another port?

Placing a switch between the printer and Actiontec could fix it if its a handshaking issue. If you don't have a switch you can use, just disable DHCP on the DI-624 and hook a cable from the Actiontec to the D-Link, and another from the D-Link to the printer. Both should be in the D-Link's LAN ports.

Otherwise I would check if you can set the printer to a static IP in the printer's settings. Use an IP outside of the Actiontec's DHCP range so it doesn't get assigned to another device using DHCP.

alpreston
@telus.net

alpreston

Anon

I've tried different ports. I had a switch between the print server and the router to start with - that was the way I had it set up with the DI-624. The Actiontec saw the switch, but not the print server, I couldn't even ping the server. I'm going to try using the DI-624 in place of the switch, to see if that helps.
ruiner3
Canada

1 edit

ruiner3

said by alpreston :

I'm going to try using the DI-624 in place of the switch, to see if that helps.

The switch on the DI-624 won't make it work if a different switch didn't help.

It sounds like you need to either set up a static IP in the PRINTER SETTINGS, or a second DHCP server using a different IP range.

The DI-624 would be able to act as a secondary DHCP server but setting a static IP is probably less work. You would need to make sure the DI-624's LAN address is in the Actiontec's subnet (probably 192.168.1.xxx) and change the range of the addresses it gives out. By default the Actiontec should be assigning 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 so you want it to be below that range.

If that doesn't work, the printer's ethernet port may have gone bad with very coincidental timing.

alpreston
@telus.net

alpreston

Anon

before the new router arrived, I had it set up with a static IP on the DI-624, and tried to do the same with the Actiontec by assigning a static IP to the server's MAC address - which didn't work. It seems that the Actiontec is not seeing the device's MAC address. But I'll give it another try in case something wasn't right the first time.
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3

What you are talking about is a DHCP reservation not a static IP. You need to get into the print server's settings and manually enter an IP that is outside of the Actiontec DHCP range.

If the print server only has a web interface then you'll need to hook it back into the DI-624 how you were using it before so you can log in and set the static IP.

alpreston
@telus.net

alpreston

Anon

I haven't been able to get into any settings on the print server box. It's supposed to be possible to telnet in IF there's a route between it and the computer - but of course, adding a route requires knowing the server's IP address ....
As far as I've been able to discover, the print server doesn't have a web interface.