uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Blogger

Re: [Rant] Gas stations charging extra for credit cards

said by Blogger:

I obviously haven't bought gasoline at every service station in California. But I've bought my share in the state I was born in and lived a great deal of my life.

I've never bought gasoline from a station other than a major brand such as Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Union and so on.

The above said I've never seen a station that charged a different price between cash and credit.

I wonder if the phenomena is a regional thing, (even if some CA major stations might do it too), and if it is regional or state determined some how then whats cause of the difference?

I live in the central valley and I travel up and down a lot, and it has been a loooong time since I saw a station that offered the same price for credit and cash. Valero used to be good about this, but no more.

For the record, I paid 4.39 for credit regular today at a cheapo station. Better than 4.59 at the same station last week.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by Oedipus:

said by Blogger:

I obviously haven't bought gasoline at every service station in California. But I've bought my share in the state I was born in and lived a great deal of my life.

I've never bought gasoline from a station other than a major brand such as Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Union and so on.

The above said I've never seen a station that charged a different price between cash and credit.

I wonder if the phenomena is a regional thing, (even if some CA major stations might do it too), and if it is regional or state determined some how then whats cause of the difference?

I live in the central valley and I travel up and down a lot, and it has been a loooong time since I saw a station that offered the same price for credit and cash. Valero used to be good about this, but no more.

For the record, I paid 4.39 for credit regular today at a cheapo station. Better than 4.59 at the same station last week.

Interesting. Your experience is why I qualified my statement by saying I don't buy gas all over the state. However, I do buy all of my gasoline for many years now in either Los Angeles, Orange, or San Diego County at the majors gas stations. Those three counties constitute roughly half the population of the 58 counties that make op California.

(Didn't earlier on several posters claim it was illegal to charge different prices for credit and cash in California. I'm just referencing the post and poster not taking sides.)

I wonder why it is so prevalent in the central valley but relatively rare if at all in the three major counties I mentioned?

I have no idea what if any regulations apply here in California. I'm just relating my experience.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to Bob4

I avoid the stations that do that. Thankfully, there are not many around here that do that.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by ilikeme:

I avoid the stations that do that. Thankfully, there are not many around here that do that.

+1. Valero is notorious for doing that.

@ Blogger See Profile, there was posting a long time ago that mentioned as long as the station is giving a discount, then it's not illegal. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

As I recall, it was permissible by the card issuers' rules to give a discount for cash off the stated price, but not to charge a surcharge over the stated price for CC use.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

matthiasrl

join:2011-11-16
reply to Bob4

Every gas station have different policy. So, this kind of charging extra for credit card is unavoidable.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

As I recall, it was permissible by the card issuers' rules to give a discount for cash off the stated price, but not to charge a surcharge over the stated price for CC use.

That's my understanding as well, in regards to the rules involved with the credit-card companies. You pay the "advertised" rate when using a credit-card, otherwise it's against their rules.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ

That's what may soon change (see my link above).

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by tmpchaos:

That's what may soon change (see my link above).

Quoting from that article Keep in mind, surcharging is illegal in 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben