spc
uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro

Re: Dalton's anti-smoking minions have had enough.

said by peterboro:

Seems guys smoking in garages and their trucks in small town Ontario has to be cracked down on. What a crock of shit. Considering shops are torching shit off cars the occasional cigarette is a breath of fresh air.

»www.chextv.com/News/LN/1 ··· ork.aspx

Given the cost of smoking to the health care system through complications, this is an effective preventative measure. Ever seen someone die of COPD?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Seems guys smoking in garages and their trucks in small town Ontario has to be cracked down on. What a crock of shit. Considering shops are torching shit off cars the occasional cigarette is a breath of fresh air.

Given the cost of smoking to the health care system through complications, this is an effective preventative measure. Ever seen someone die of COPD?

How dare yee use logic, financial outcomes and compassion? Tis unfair to use such rapier wit when my bloated tongue sticketh to the roof of my bacteria infested cakehole.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

It's cost effective to blow millions of health care dollars chasing people smoking in their workplace when there are other initiatives being starved for funding at the MOH and health units? Never seen a COPD death but I can imagine it is horrible. I have on the other hand been exposed to the overzealous actions of health unit minions under the legislative umbrella of the Smoke Free Ontario Act with a large budget to pummel citizens with punitive enforcement actions.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Then make it illegal, already...

I don't smoke cigarettes - (it's the occational cigar, before anyone weigh's in...) - but the anti-tobacco rules and movement, are getting insane, in my opinion.

Where exactly IS is OK to smoke now?

Can't smoke in public places.
Can't smoke at work.
Can't smoke outside (there's entire blocks in Toronto where you can't get the required 9m away from a door)
Can't smoke in your car/truck.
FFS, can't smoke in your own home anymore! »Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

If smoking is the root of all evil, then just make it against the law, already, and be done with it.

As for the nanny state, and Flip-Flop McGuinty - it's amazing, no one voted for him, but he got in twice... I've never liked him, never trusted him, and never voted for him. I don't know that the other options would be better (my personal leanings are small 'c' conservative, but whatever) - but after the first term, we all should have known what McGuinty was about - and he was re-elected anyways...
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by LazMan:

Absolutely. Oh wait...all the self righteous hypocrites who support this would have their services cut and tax burden increased. Oh dear me...best to just get on their soapbox and decry the evil smokers yet pocket the largess from their purchases.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to LazMan

Mod

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Can't smoke at work.
Can't smoke outside (there's entire blocks in Toronto where you can't get the required 9m away from a door)
FFS, can't smoke in your own home anymore! »Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

The 'home' one is a one-off of a condo association, so we'll leave that aside. The car/truck one.....that's only if there are children in the car, isn't it? I haven't seen anything that says you can't smoke in your car ever, but only if there are children present.

(disclaimer: I'm a non-smoker; I'm just trying to get the facts straight)
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Kardinal:

The car/truck one.....that's only if there are children in the car, isn't it? I haven't seen anything that says you can't smoke in your car ever, but only if there are children present.

Like as mentioned kids or not, if your vehicle is being used for any type of commercial activity then it is verboten. There are literally 10s or 100s of thousands of vehicles that fall into this category.

Now an interesting dynamic is federally regulated workplaces like cross jurisdiction truckers or even telecom workers. Can the province impose safety restrictions of a federal workplace?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Bullshit, if this were for health reasons they'd ban smoking altogether. In Ontario "cracking down" or "environmentalism" means increasing more Liberal tax revenue.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

Bullshit, if this were for health reasons they'd ban smoking altogether. In Ontario "cracking down" or "environmentalism" means increasing more Liberal tax revenue.

How does cracking down on smoking increase revenue? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion. have you been studying the discredited laffer curve again?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

This is more about the control freaks in our society deciding what is best for you.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

How does cracking down on smoking increase revenue? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion. have you been studying the discredited laffer curve again?

Lots of fines that's how. In reality they spend so much to fine and prosecute that the return isn't there and a substantial deficit in revenues occurs.

Did you know that provincial prosecutors, who are paid to do these prosecutions, are being passed over in favour of private lawyers and all paid for by your health care levy?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, of course. A provincial prosecutor would be more likely to drop charges and/or significantly lower penalties in an effort to ensure that they had sufficient resources to handle their caseload of other more important things like health and safety violations, serious driving infractions, building code issues, etc. Special prosecutors, being paid by the job and/or the hour, have no such restrictions, and continue to make money no matter how long they drag a case - and god forbid we ever drop a smoking charge!

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by LazMan:

Absolutely. Oh wait...all the self righteous hypocrites who support this would have their services cut and tax burden increased. Oh dear me...best to just get on their soapbox and decry the evil smokers yet pocket the largess from their purchases.

I do not mind benefiting from their stupidity.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

This is more about the control freaks in our society deciding what is best for you.

Nope. It's about improving health, reducing costs to the community and society at large and making for a better community. Being a control freak has nothing to do with it.
DKS

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

Wrong. Prohibition doesn't work. Harm reduction and enforcement as a last resort does.
DKS

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

It's cost effective to blow millions of health care dollars chasing people smoking in their workplace when there are other initiatives being starved for funding at the MOH and health units?

The cost isn't in the "millions". It is just part of existing workplace health enforcement.

Never seen a COPD death but I can imagine it is horrible. I have on the other hand been exposed to the overzealous actions of health unit minions under the legislative umbrella of the Smoke Free Ontario Act with a large budget to pummel citizens with punitive enforcement actions.

Death by COPD is far, far worse.
DKS

DKS to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

You certainly can. Parks, sidewalks and so on.

Can't smoke at work.

Employers right to a healthy workplace.

As long as you don't have kids with you, you can.

If smoking is the root of all evil, then just make it against the law, already, and be done with it.

You can smoke in your own home,. That was one condo exception.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

And tomorrow, you won't be able to smoke within x meters of kids. So of like Harper's Anti drug laws where you get a bigger penalty of you smoke near kids (the next backyard for example).

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

No, since I don't sit around and smoke weed all day and work for a living, my brain works well enough to know "this is how society works". Let me connect the dots as simply as possible...

Fining people = collecting revenue = ...collecting revenue.

Yea, I don't know how that wasn't simple to begin with.

We also keep those tobacco police employed as well, so that's good. More government jobs and more revenue by fining people in private areas.

A truck driver doing a long haul from Florida thinks he can drive into our country and have a smoke while he drive? Hah, cash cow right there.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Nope...

»www.hamilton.ca/Healthan ··· aces.htm

As long as you don't have kids with you, you can.

Or if it's your 'workplace'

You can smoke in your own home,. That was one condo exception.

And, as I said - it will be the first, (if it is?) - not the last...
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

It's cost effective to blow millions of health care dollars chasing people smoking in their workplace when there are other initiatives being starved for funding at the MOH and health units?

The cost isn't in the "millions". It is just part of existing workplace health enforcement.

Under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act Tobacco Compliance Protocol, millions are distributed to health units across the province. That does not even count the salaries and expenses incurred by municipal taxpayers for health units. Locally several health unit personnel were laid off and other programs suffered yet the anti-smoking brigade marches on. I suppose early childhood and prenatal health is not a concern nor is dental help for low income. Both of which over a lifetime across a broader public spectrum with cost more health care expenses.
peterboro

to DKS
said by DKS:

Nope. It's about improving health, reducing costs to the community and society at large and making for a better community. Being a control freak has nothing to do with it.

Nope. Those are the catch word feel good phrases trumpeted through out history to justify meddling in people's lives.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Nope. Those are the catch word feel good phrases trumpeted through out history to justify meddling in people's lives.

Some people actually buy into those bullshit excuses... or they parrot them themselves because it's ideologically inline with what they want.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Wrong. You can't smoke in public parks here and that includes parking, pathways and sidewalks. Eventually it will encompass all vehicles and homes. Smokers will eventually be relegated to barb wire compounds in the far north or placed in internment camps.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Wrong. You can't smoke in public parks here and that includes parking, pathways and sidewalks.

You can thank Niagara Falls for that, they were the first municipality in Ontario to ban smoking on any city property, including parks and any other city-owned land outdoors.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Ontarians Torontoids must as they keep supporting a nanny state approach by Dalton.

Fixed it for you.

Didn't want to post the obvious least I be slagged for TO bashing as some members are sensitive.

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Ontarians Torontoids must as they keep supporting a nanny state approach by Dalton.

Fixed it for you.

Gone is correct.

Its because of blind support in Toronto. I am living in ward which has population more than City of Peterborough. And it will always go to Liberals no matter how I vote.
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

Wrong. You can't smoke in public parks here and that includes parking, pathways and sidewalks. Eventually it will encompass all vehicles and homes. Smokers will eventually be relegated to barb wire compounds in the far north or placed in internment camps.

I am a non-smoker and even I don't like this. Its too much regulation. DKS is wrong about the cost. If Dalton wanted to save money he better do it somewhere else. Just stop the fiasco like e-health, Gas plants...on and on...And screw those people who voted for Dalton, in recent by-election. So don't blame Toronto for everything.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Wrong. You can't smoke in public parks here and that includes parking, pathways and sidewalks.

You can thank Niagara Falls for that, they were the first municipality in Ontario to ban smoking on any city property, including parks and any other city-owned land outdoors.

You rock Niagra Falls!! Muchas Gracias!!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Anav:

You rock Niagra Falls!! Muchas Gracias!!

... yet you live off the fruits of the revenue that the provinces and federal government rake in on tobacco sales. I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

I can't help it if Peterpatch is regressive. As for relegating a disgusting, vile habit to internment camps, fine with me. But there are better ways.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
You see fruit? Where?? Show me a province where there is fruit. Our standard of living is on a downward slope my friend. Everything is going up except my pecker and income.