Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to kovy7

Premium Member

to kovy7

Re: Corning POTS Splitter To ST546V6 Modem

said by kovy7:

It's not just a splitter... it's obviously a filter. Splitter don't come filtered in most case. Hence why people used them for fax and phones.

I think everyone here knows what a two-way splitter does, but we're talking about POTS splitters - they split the POTS line into separate and dedicated DSL and voice (and fax and whatever else that runs over the voice network) lines that can't be used for anything else but that.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

It's not just a splitter... it's obviously a filter. Splitter don't come filtered in most case. Hence why people used them for fax and phones.

I think everyone here knows what a two-way splitter does, but we're talking about POTS splitters - they split the POTS line into separate and dedicated DSL and voice (and fax and whatever else that runs over the voice network) lines that can't be used for anything else but that.

Plain old telephone service ... it doesn't say much.

A splitter simply splits the wire in two direction... Obviously this splitter is for DSL and phone service to work without any issues.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

Plain old telephone service POTS... it doesn't say much.

Now that you know what a POTS splitter does and that it isn't merely the same thing as putting a microfilter between a line from the demarc and your DSL modem, why do you need to care what POTS means? Would you prefer it be called a PSTN/DSL isolator or something instead?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

1 edit

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

Plain old telephone service POTS... it doesn't say much.

Now that you know what a POTS splitter does and that it isn't merely the same thing as putting a microfilter between a line from the demarc and your DSL modem, why do you need to care what POTS means? Would you prefer it be called a PSTN/DSL isolator or something instead?

No I don't care... but to say it's a pure splitter would be wrong, IMO.

But thanks for letting me know both are filtered for their dedicated purposes. I never really had the chance to play with one, since I have a dry loop.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Thanks gone for clarifying p:) its a hpf/lpf filter if u wanted to label it rofl it would be raw then HPF,LPF
Raw signal
Highpass filter
Lowpass Filter

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Hah, true enough.