elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: Dalton's anti-smoking minions have had enough.

said by urbanriot:

said by DKS:

Given the cost of smoking to the health care system through complications, this is an effective preventative measure. Ever seen someone die of COPD?

Bullshit, if this were for health reasons they'd ban smoking altogether. In Ontario "cracking down" or "environmentalism" means increasing more Liberal tax revenue.

How does cracking down on smoking increase revenue? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion. have you been studying the discredited laffer curve again?
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by elwoodblues:

How does cracking down on smoking increase revenue? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion. have you been studying the discredited laffer curve again?

Lots of fines that's how. In reality they spend so much to fine and prosecute that the return isn't there and a substantial deficit in revenues occurs.

Did you know that provincial prosecutors, who are paid to do these prosecutions, are being passed over in favour of private lawyers and all paid for by your health care levy?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, of course. A provincial prosecutor would be more likely to drop charges and/or significantly lower penalties in an effort to ensure that they had sufficient resources to handle their caseload of other more important things like health and safety violations, serious driving infractions, building code issues, etc. Special prosecutors, being paid by the job and/or the hour, have no such restrictions, and continue to make money no matter how long they drag a case - and god forbid we ever drop a smoking charge!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

No, since I don't sit around and smoke weed all day and work for a living, my brain works well enough to know "this is how society works". Let me connect the dots as simply as possible...

Fining people = collecting revenue = ...collecting revenue.

Yea, I don't know how that wasn't simple to begin with.

We also keep those tobacco police employed as well, so that's good. More government jobs and more revenue by fining people in private areas.

A truck driver doing a long haul from Florida thinks he can drive into our country and have a smoke while he drive? Hah, cash cow right there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Weed is cheaper then smokes

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

At least there is some benefit to weed.
Of course I would advocate in a healthy non-smoking form.

brian5
@cgocable.net

brian5

Anon

said by Anav:

said by elwoodblues:

At least there is some benefit to weed.

They may as well make it legal too, people can smoke tobacco. They should make wine and beer illegal or put accident pictures and destroyed livers on the wine bottles.