Search similar:

uniqs

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

1 recommendation

PA23

from the voir dire (jury selection) transcript -

Do you see it state in the last 10 years have you ever been involved in a lawsuit? I most certainly don't.

THE NEXT QUESTION IS, HAVE YOU OR A
FAMILY MEMBER OR SOMEONE VERY CLOSE TO YOU EVER
BEEN INVOLVED IN A LAWSUIT, EITHER AS A PLAINTIFF,
A DEFENDANT, OR AS A WITNESS?

LET'S SEE. ON THE FIRST ROW, WHO WOULD
RAISE THEIR HAND TO THAT QUESTION?

ALL RIGHT. LET'S GO TO MR. HOGAN.

The full transcript can be gotten here: »www.groklaw.net/pdf4/App ··· 1Ex1.pdf

should be interesting and its far from over. Is Velvin Hogan guilty of perjury? don't know, IANAL plus he just has to say that he misunderstood the question and thought he heard the last 10 years, it probably takes him off the hook for perjury but still leaves the door wide open for Samsung to look to have the whole verdict tossed out.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Most likely on the jury pool form it asked about 10 years (pretty standard question) but in voir dire the judge asked "ever".

Still if he remembered having sued, (individual filing suit yes, got a small check as part of a class action 20 years ago? maybe not?)
The court will have the facts and certainly question his motives (makes the court look bad, he certainly will be harshly punished for anything that can be proven)

JolietJake
@fgrlaw.com

JolietJake

Anon

By the way, the lawsuit Hogan is talking about was 2008!!! And a dispute over who owned the patent on computer software - and you don't think this would affect his judgment as the foreman of the jury?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt

Premium Member

Without a doubt he should have recused from ANY jury duty.
Too recent, too personal, too likely to have some prejudice about something/someone in the legal system.

Now he gets to see it from the defendent side

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to JolietJake

MVM

to JolietJake
said by JolietJake :

By the way, the lawsuit Hogan is talking about was 2008!!! And a dispute over who owned the patent on computer software - and you don't think this would affect his judgment as the foreman of the jury?

It wasn't a dispute over who owned the patent on computer software. It was over who owned the rights to the software. Patents weren't mentioned.

My guess is that it was simply who really owned the software and could license it in the future. It's common in software development that contracted work is owned by the developer unless the rights were specifically transferred to the contracting company. However if the work was not done by a contractor and was instead the work of a direct employee, then the copyrights are typically owned by the company. I don't know about other fields other then software development, but I would imagine that other contract work is similar, be it electrical engineering, graphics design, etc.