share rss forum feed

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to peterboro

Re: Dalton's anti-smoking minions have had enough.

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

Given the cost of smoking to the health care system through complications, this is an effective preventative measure. Ever seen someone die of COPD?

It's cost effective to blow millions of health care dollars chasing people smoking in their workplace when there are other initiatives being starved for funding at the MOH and health units?

The cost isn't in the "millions". It is just part of existing workplace health enforcement.

Never seen a COPD death but I can imagine it is horrible. I have on the other hand been exposed to the overzealous actions of health unit minions under the legislative umbrella of the Smoke Free Ontario Act with a large budget to pummel citizens with punitive enforcement actions.

Death by COPD is far, far worse.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

Given the cost of smoking to the health care system through complications, this is an effective preventative measure. Ever seen someone die of COPD?

It's cost effective to blow millions of health care dollars chasing people smoking in their workplace when there are other initiatives being starved for funding at the MOH and health units?

The cost isn't in the "millions". It is just part of existing workplace health enforcement.

Under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act Tobacco Compliance Protocol, millions are distributed to health units across the province. That does not even count the salaries and expenses incurred by municipal taxpayers for health units. Locally several health unit personnel were laid off and other programs suffered yet the anti-smoking brigade marches on. I suppose early childhood and prenatal health is not a concern nor is dental help for low income. Both of which over a lifetime across a broader public spectrum with cost more health care expenses.