All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: Unrequested advertising uses up subscribers data allowance!

Agreed, if the ISP wants to cap me and then advertisers bitch that I don't want to use my monthly allotted bandwidth to download their crap, maybe the advertisers can take a run at telling the ISP's off instead of M$...

Oh wait even the *ISP* is guilty of trying to shove ads down my throat

Sorry but NoScript & AdBlock for me until and unless this whole cap business is finally killed (which is never... so buzz off advertisers)

NefCanuck
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

said by NefCanuck:

Agreed, if the ISP wants to cap me and then advertisers bitch that I don't want to use my monthly allotted bandwidth to download their crap, maybe the advertisers can take a run at telling the ISP's off instead of M$...

Sorry but NoScript & AdBlock for me until and unless this whole cap business is finally killed (which is never... so buzz off advertisers)

NefCanuck

By visiting the site, you agree to download the site's material, as well as any advertisements they place on it.

Are you seriously complaining about ads taking up too much space? It's barely noticeable when compared to the size of a web page and all the related images.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Actually, I don't think any such 'agreement' exists. You are perfectly within your rights to HTTP Get specific parts of a publicly available page and not get others. The complaint is not about ads taking up space... it is about taking up bandwidth that is no longer unlimited.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

said by CXM_Splicer:

Actually, I don't think any such 'agreement' exists. You are perfectly within your rights to HTTP Get specific parts of a publicly available page and not get others. The complaint is not about ads taking up space... it is about taking up bandwidth that is no longer unlimited.

Don't complain about the tiny bit of bandwidth taken up by ads, it's how the site stays alive. If you want, feel free to adblock them because you hate seeing ads, but don't justify it with false arguments about bandwidth.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber

said by JTR:

said by CXM_Splicer:

Don't complain about the tiny bit of bandwidth taken up by ads, it's how the site stays alive. If you want, feel free to adblock them because you hate seeing ads, but don't justify it with false arguments about bandwidth.

The Internet was awesome back in 1990 - and gueeswhat???? Not a fucking ad in sight.

We're on to the shills now, fucking sellouts....
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to JTR

Premium Member

to JTR
My argument about bandwidth is legitimate... if you want to limit false arguments used for justification, I suggest you revisit your 'agreement' post

Any discussion of the sites making revenue from the ads is immaterial to either bandwidth or 'implied requirements' of viewing them.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

It's more about the principle of the matter.

Not really surprised about AT&T crying about this, after all they are "spooks" for the government. As for Verizon? I didn't expect this of them.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to JTR

to JTR
Do you not do much Web surfing? Some sites (especially news sites) are "gating" pages with full-motion video ads, with sound. Some of these are 30 to 45 seconds long. You can't tell me that a single news page with text and (maybe) two small pictures uses more bandwidth than half a minute of 480x320 video with audio.

Best of all is when the videos freeze with five seconds left to go, and you reload the page so you can try to read it, only to have a brand-new video ad load....

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to JTR

to JTR
said by JTR:

By visiting the site, you agree to download the site's material, as well as any advertisements they place on it.

I don't think so.

anernamers
@verizon.net

anernamers to JTR

Anon

to JTR
Most websites I visit are mainly text. So these flashy picture ads take up more data.

Though i'm not arguing with this point, I just thought i'd bring that to the table.

Have you seen some sites ads? There are more ads(pictures, javascript, flash) than text on the page! Which is what i'm reading.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to JTR

to JTR
said by JTR:

said by NefCanuck:

NefCanuck

Are you seriously complaining about ads taking up too much space? It's barely noticeable when compared to the size of a web page and all the related images.

Sorry but no, nowhere in the TOS for any of the sites I visit (or any other site on the Internet I would wager for that matter) is there any verbage requiring me to use up my data allotment (provided by my ISP) to view ads, whether they be simple text ads or now more often than not, flashy adverts that do consume a significant amount of data.

If a site refuses to let me on because I refused to be tracked, I can find alternative sites with the same information, thats the beauty of the Internet.

In fact the only thing I dislike about my iPad is the fact that there is no way to block ads from ever being downloaded in the first place while using the built in browser, again because its a waste of my data allotment.

NefCanuck
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to JTR

to JTR
said by JTR:

Don't complain about the tiny bit of bandwidth taken up by ads

I'm sure you wouldn't complain about someone taking a "tiny bit" of money out of your wallet from time to time, right?