uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Is There A Reason?

Why Comcast shells out non D3 modems in D3 territories?

I have several accounts with Comcast and on one of the newer accounts I decided to lease the modem through them. I ended up getting a Motorola 5101 (I think that's right).
This is most definitely a D3 area here, so why a non D3 modem?

Hope someone can shed a light on this. I would just go to their
"local" office and ask for one, but its far from local. Like a 60+ mile drive one way.

Thanks
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

D3 modems will still work on the Performance tier for at least a couple years.
IF single channel congestion seems to be a problem, a repair tech would likely switch out the modem for a D3 model.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Robotics

Yeah, I think that's strange too, as Comcast announced in August that they are putting all DOCSIS 1.1 modems into "End-of-Support" status »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem , and as that post also says:

For those of you that own a D1.1 device, we strongly recommend a D3.0 device to make that investment last as long as possible and to take advantage of channel bonding. Customers that own a D1.1 device can go to »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ to purchase an approved DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem (or your retail store of choice).
I guess there are so many D2 modems currently in Comcast's inventory that they will continue to provide them to lower-speed-tier HSI customers for now, even though there are some advantages for those customers using D3 modems: »Re: Tired of renting Comcast's modem. Which to buy?

EDIT: Also, some other advantages of D3 modems, as it was later stated in that D1.1 End-of-Support thread (»Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem ):
You also want modern features like IPv6, and to know that the vendor is still releasing firmware updates periodically.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Robotics

According to Comcast,you only require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on, Blast and above tiers. »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ I think the main reason they still use DOCSIS 2.0 modems is, cost; they have a large number of them, and they work with most speed plans.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

said by Ripper:

According to Comcast,you only require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on, Blast and above tiers. »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ I think the main reason they still use DOCSIS 2.0 modems is, cost; they have a large number of them, and they work with most speed plans.

+1

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2
reply to Robotics

I was wondering the same thing. Back in May, I added CDV. I rent, so they swapped out my non eMTA modem for an eMTA model. I asked them specifically for a D3 eMTA (was in the local office at the time), and they asked me what speed tier I was on. When I told them Performance, they told me that a D3 was not needed, and they would not give me one, even if they had them on hand.

While that is true, I don't need a D3 based on my level of service (download speed). However, there are of course many other reasons to use a D3 modem instead of a D2 modem, especially if my area is D3 ready (which, as far as I can tell they are, as they do offer the higher-speed tiers).

I would think if a customer specifically asked for a D3 modem (I don't care what model / brand) and if they have them in stock in the local office, why not give it to the customer? Would it not be a win-win situation?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

I would think if a customer specifically asked for a D3 modem (I don't care what model / brand) and if they have them in stock in the local office, why not give it to the customer? Would it not be a win-win situation?

--Brian

But if they have a limited supply why give one to someone who doesn't really need it? Instead being able to provide one to higher tiers, or to encourage the performance sub to upgrade to Blast or above.
Since MTA's have the highest initial cost, using them as long as possible is even more important than standard modems.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

Well, I think what is up for discussion here comes from your statement.

said by tshirt:

But if they have a limited supply why give one to someone who doesn't really need it?

I do agree with you in regards to the speed side of things. A D2 modem cannot be used on the faster (Blast and above) tiers. You have to have a D3 modem in order to get those speeds.

However, there are others advantages of using a D3 modem, regardless of the speed tier a customer is on. I would think that from a network management standpoint, as well as future use (iPV6 comes to mind) would also be important to Comcast, right?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sure but the biggest network management advantages don't really show up until they go 100% D3 only. so since they have a couple years left use up the old supplies if possible.
At some point those users leasing D2 equipment will get a "time to upgrade letter" just like the CATV side did for digital only. and they'll mail or send, or sell you a D3 compatible, provide installation if needed and suggest you recycle the D2 device (even though there are other D2 providers, the resale value on a used D2 fleet of equipment isn't worth their time, once they can't use it, and why release that flood to ebay if it ONLY works on competiors systems?)

If you really want one some areas allow you to buy one( I think this will be widespread soon.
Also the phone side will continue to work for phone even after modems are all D3.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Robotics

Thank you for all the responses.

I am on the slowest tier they have out here since I am only here a couple times a week for a few hours only. Thats all I needed for this location. But miss the close to double upload speed I could get with a D3 modem since I have another acct. that is also the lowest teir but I have my own D3 modem there and speeds are double of what I get here.

Guess I will just stick with what I have for now. Not interested in buying a 3rd. D3 modem just yet.

Thanks again for the responses.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.