MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to jseymour

MVM

to jseymour

Re: If you look at the transcripts...

said by jseymour:

If true: He's in deep kimchi. Courts look very unfavourably on perjury.

In this case I doubt the courts do anything to him but sigh at the situation. A real example of perjury I think has much more deliberate component to lying then not mentioning a nearly 20 year old lawsuit.

The marital relationship between the two lawyers of the two cases I think is purely coincidental. They don't share the same last name and unless one of the spouses attended the other's case, I doubt Hagan would ever have reason to draw a connection. Plus it was nearly 20 years ago. I have trouble remembering who my teachers were 20 years ago and I'll guarantee I spent more time with them then a lawyer does with their client for a case.

I also think the Samsung-Seagate connection is stretching things. Weren't they competitors back in 1993? I guess maybe he could want to stick it to Samsung for having a partnership with a previous adversary...but I think that's just fishing for anything.

I wonder if he might find himself civilly liable, as well, for damaging Samsung?

No. Perjury is a criminal offense, not civil. Dating back to English common law lying under oath that there is no civil penalty. The courts have said that having witnesses come forward can be hard enough without the witness being under the potential threat of civil liability, regardless if they are telling the truth or not.

For instance, who would want to be on a jury in this case where either side has the potential to lose billions and both sides will dig through all jurors previous lives to find anything that they committed perjury about.

JolietJake
@fgrlaw.com

JolietJake

Anon

Do you really think Hogan, described as publicity loving, would have forgotten that he was sued by Seagate, a prominent playing in the computer industry? He sounds arrogant and like someone who has waited 20 years to get back at the 'somsabitches' who sued him.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by JolietJake :

Do you really think Hogan, described as publicity loving, would have forgotten that he was sued by Seagate, a prominent playing in the computer industry?

Honestly, depends on what the circumstances of the case were. If it was him personally, no, probably not. If it was through the operations of his business, like the other previous lawsuit he did mention, then yeah, he might have forgotten about it.

He sounds arrogant and like someone who has waited 20 years to get back at the 'somsabitches' who sued him.

Except it's not really getting back at them. His beef was with Seagate. Samsung has a partnership with Seagate in that Samsung gave their hard drive business to them in exchange for Seagate using their NAND chips. Seagate grows their business, Samsung gets out the drive mgf business, and Samsung can focus on remaining a supplier of chips where the future ultimately lies. Samsung owns a portion of Seagate, but I just don't believe that he would make the jump to spite Samsung because Seagate spited him.