join:2000-03-23
Fairfield, MT
Reviews:
·3Rivers Communic..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

Re: Samsung

You sir are a fool. Apple stole ideas SINCE THEY STARTED... Xerox anyone? And you Apple fan, do some research and find out about that company you are defending! Example, the iPAD the design was based on a media device that was released by another company that made it in 2005 or 2006 before the iPad was released.

Oh on a side note, Microsoft is just as bad. But they stole from APPLE who stole.... It is so sad no one remembers computer history. For example M$-Dos was bought for around $50,000 from Seattle Computer. Which is not even 10% of what Microsoft should of given the creator of DOS. They should have at least given the creator a few million.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Suntop:

It is so sad no one remembers computer history. For example M$-Dos was bought for around $50,000 from Seattle Computer. Which is not even 10% of what Microsoft should of given the creator of DOS. They should have at least given the creator a few million.

They paid (what was at the time) a huge amount, for an O/S they weren't sure they could resell. BTW at that time MS didn't have a few million, even the $50k was risking everything. Had the IBM thing not worked out, MS would likely have been a blip on the PC timeline.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Suntop

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
reply to Suntop
said by Suntop:

Oh on a side note, Microsoft is just as bad. But they stole from APPLE who stole.... It is so sad no one remembers computer history. For example M$-Dos was bought for around $50,000 from Seattle Computer. Which is not even 10% of what Microsoft should of given the creator of DOS. They should have at least given the creator a few million.

If you want to appear more than 13 years old, I recommend that you cool it with the "M$." That stuff became old in 2002.

As a matter of fact, the creator of MS-DOS did get millions -- at least a few, possibly more.

Tim Patterson later went to work for Microsoft over three separate stretches. The pre-IPO stock options he got would've made him a deca-millionaire, assuming they vested before he left.

He also went back to work for Microsoft post-IPO, in 1990. This time, he stayed 8 years, so those options definitely vested. He would've become at least a millionaire, even if he sold immediately upon vesting. If he held onto them until he left, he would've become a multi-millionaire.

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
reply to tshirt
Well I cannot argue that HOWEVER they could have shared the profits later to the guy. Maybe they did with stock or something. I do not know.

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
reply to tanzam75
My apologies. I did not mean to make you think that. Excuse me for being a lil silly when I WROTE IT. And thank you for letting me know that he did get paid properly for that. I did not know that till now.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
Don't worry about it. I've also written silly things from time to time.

Best way I've found of avoiding this is to do my research ahead of time. That way, I can form my opinions based on facts instead of assumptions.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Suntop
Tim Paterson the guy who wrote it (and designed a basic computer to go with it.) actually worked for MS several times
Rod Brock the guy who hired Paterson to work at SCP go $50k and a lifetime license to MS-DOS made a few million reselling it and then recieved another million when MS bought the license back.
So everyone did ok, but it is business, you plan to buy low and sell high, but holding out for highest may leave you with a bunch of rotting fruit.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to Suntop
Come on now. If they guy knew what his OS was going to be worth in the future, he wouldn't have sold the rights to it for $50k.

And if he knew the potential, he would have put together his own way to market and sell it.

Microsoft didn't really owe him anything after buying it. That's how business works.

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to tanzam75
said by tanzam75:
If you want to appear more than 13 years old, I recommend that you cool it with the "M$." That stuff became old in 2002.
No.. its part of the official club handshake. I know suntop is a member sort of like the handshakes of masons in the past.

I use it all the time, and will continue to use any as a form of derogatory reference to them, crapple and other companies.

If you would like I have some other terms for them which I would be glad to use... but they most definitely are not for the "kumbaya pc" crowd here, so m$ and crapple, crapble will have to suffice.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Suntop
And those companies are welcome to file suit aganist Apple if they feel they have a case. "Stealing" (quoted because I'm not saying they did) is easy against someone who just came up with an idea. I can see a building and make one of my own based on what I saw... this might not be "stealing". It's up to the building owner/designer to prove that something was "stolen".

So saying someone "stole" from someone else is all fine and good... but it's not really saying anything without context. In this case you are throwing in a lot of different things all together and many things that are not related. Xerox/PARC is about the a GUI on desktop computers. Job then claimed that he asked to use it but Gates "stole" it as he did not even ask. Truth is, neither stole it as you claim. To be accurate, they did not invent the GUI that they used.

But again... nothing to do with this.

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT
reply to Suntop
In a nice way, I want to tell you that you dont have a clue about what you are talking about.

IBM approached Bill Gates for an OS, but he sent them to Gary WhatsHisName who invented CP/M. The first time IBM tried to talk to Gary, he blew them off because he was flying his new plane. The second time, he blew them off because he refused to sign an NDA.

So IBM played hard ball with Bill (Bill just wanted to write Basic, and leave that OS thing to Gary, another stunningly stupid error just like missing that Internet thing, and 640K of memory thing.)
Bill bought the code from Gary. Bill came up with idea of licensing software but not selling it.

Bill got rich

Gary got jealous.

Read all about it in 'Barbarians Led by Bill Gates"

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
Okay I will read it. I do not know much I admit that. Thank you for being kind and telling me I am wrong. I appreciate your post and thank you for the book suggestion. I will go look for it at my library.

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
reply to 88615298
Ahh Pirates of Silicon Valley. Great movie.