plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Version of McAfee Enterprise for Windows 8

Click for full size
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not, mods please move as needed!

I am currently running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise Version 8.8. I've attached a screen shot of the about box for reference.

While this version works very well and is supported on Windows 7, the same cannot be said for Windows 8. I did not do a screen capture of the error, but when I tried to install it on Windows 8, I got a message that it was not compatible. Since that can relate to a lot of different things, I figured I would go ahead and do the install anyway, and see what all did not work.

Well, turns out A LOT of things don't work. For starters, the auto update task to download the DAT files do not run on their own. Even if you try to run them manually, they fail. This means that any DAT updates would have to be manually downloaded from McAfee, and installed myself. Along the same lines, the task to run a Full System scan will also not run on the schedule. It does however run when you kick off the task yourself.

I also noticed quite a number of warnings and errors being logged in the event logs every time I would reboot. I did not get a screen shot of those, but they did look important, almost like things were not running as they should be.

Because of that, I went back to Windows 7.

So, my question is this: Does anyone know when McAfee will be releasing a version of this software that will be compatible with Windows 8? I did some looking on McAfee's webpage, but I did not find anything out there yet talking about an upcoming version of this software.

So if anyone has any information, that would be great.

Thanks,

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I did some more looking, and it looks like I have answered my own question.

The full article directly from McAfee is below

»kc.mcafee.com/corporate/ ··· =KB74593

First, I will point out that as of the date of this KB article (September 13, 2012), McAfee is still working on quality assurance tests and official certification in regards to their Virus Scan Enterprise product on Windows 8.

However, since there are some organizations and people running Windows 8 in some form or fashion, McAfee will provide a patch that can be applied to version 8.8 running on Windows 8. It is "Patch 2", and is available from the McAfee Downloads site using a valid Grant Number.

In answer to the question "When will we know the official product and corresponding patch level of McAfee Enterprise for Windows 8"? Looks like we will have to wait until Microsoft officially releases Windows 8 to the general public.

As a side note, I remember McAfee doing something similar when Windows 7 came out. Their current product did not work on Windows 7, and they did not "officially" release one until after Windows 7 was available to the general public. Looks like the same will be true with Windows 8.

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb

Premium Member

I wanted to update this, as I found out more information from McAfee.

The KB article from McAfee that I reference above has been updated.
quote:
Patch 3 (or later) is required for any Windows 8 or Server 2012 for supportability, once Patch 3 is available.

As the above says, Patch 3 is not yet out yet. No date was given when it would be released, but hopefully it will be soon.

--Brian
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

First question which would popup into mind, is that are you using this for an enterprise enviroment or for a home PC?

If an enterprise enviroment, security system engineers should of done some testing before deploying this onto a production enviroment via the EPO Policy central management controls.

Or, are you a security admin yourself?

Best place to go is here:
»community.mcafee.com/com ··· stem/vse

Good luck

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Running it on a home system. I just have the main product. I don't have ePO or an ePO server and all that.

The last company I worked for had it deployed enterprise wide, complete with an ePO server in different locations around the world.

That was two years ago now, so I'm not sure if they are still using it or have switched to something else.

The reason I'm running at home had to do with an agreement between my old company and McAfee. I never saw the actual contract, but there was some kind of clause (or maybe agreement) between the two that gave permission to the employee's to take the software home and install it on their own systems. I believe the though process was that if the employee's home was "secure", then the threat of having a employee bring bad things into the corporate network was reduced. I also believe that since 90% of the employee's had laptops, most people would connect from home on evenings / weekends as well. And, for those like me (who worked in IT and did not have a laptop, but a desktop in the office), I had to install my VPN software on my personal desktop at home. So, if I did not run the same Virus Software that the company did, there was a chance that I could infect the network. To prevent that, the "agreement" was put in place. It may have even been my company just purchased x number of extra copies (like we had 4,000 employees, so we'll buy 8,000 licenses).

Even though I no longer work for that company, I really liked the product (McAfee Enterprise) and have continued to use it. Sure it may be a bit expensive for a home user, but why switch when I found something that works?

--Brian