sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to OneWorld9

Mod

to OneWorld9

Re: TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

Generally I've found the server side line quality functions from DSLR next to useless for any ISP that's too far away. There are just too many things enroute that can impact the connection quality.
ReeG
join:2012-02-27
North York, ON

ReeG

I just wanted to elaborate on my experience so far since quality of support has been heavily discussed and criticized in this thread.

I was given a pretty technically heavy set of questions and details to provide by support int he direct forum. Being in the IT industry myself, I'm OK with that, appreciate the level of detail and answering it all was easy enough for me, but I hope what was copy/pasted to me to answer isn't what they give the average person. I'm not sure how they can simplify or make it better but asking an average person to collect data on signal strength, MAC addresses, logs, splitter setup, firmware ect would be a nightmare for them. I'm imagining my Mom or Dad being hit with those kind of questions, not having a clue what any of it means and thinking they were getting terrible support as a result.

Some of it was kind of aimless and redundant as well, for example, asking me to try another coax cable when the connection is fine %99 of the time until it drops and resetting the modem results in it running fine again. Asking me if the modem is in standby or to do a factory reset when those options don't even exist on my modem struck me as odd as well. Asking me for my Modem serial and MAC when they already have my OID and customer info. Do they not keep any record of any of this themselves?

Let me clarify, i'm not knocking support, becuase I think their intentions are in the right place, and the response has been quick so far, but the method seem like it'd be nuts for anyone who isn't educated and experienced with computers and networking.
OneWorld9
join:2010-12-09
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Generally I've found the server side line quality functions from DSLR next to useless for any ISP that's too far away. There are just too many things enroute that can impact the connection quality.

I agree it could be better, but lacking Rogers-side monitoring, what else do you suggest? This is much better than simply not knowing what's going on. Based on this monitoring, I was able to clearly show the timeframes I was affected, and the high level of packetloss ... and that's exactly what I described the issue to be. I don't see this as "useless" - it doesn't resolve the issue, but it does provide timelines for when the issue is happening, which do correspond exactly to what I suggested was happening. Personally, I prefer this over doing ping tests at random times throughout the day.
OneWorld9

OneWorld9 to ReeG

to ReeG
said by ReeG:

I just wanted to elaborate on my experience so far since quality of support has been heavily discussed and criticized in this thread.

I was given a pretty technically heavy set of questions and details to provide by support int he direct forum. Being in the IT industry myself, I'm OK with that, appreciate the level of detail and answering it all was easy enough for me, but I hope what was copy/pasted to me to answer isn't what they give the average person. I'm not sure how they can simplify or make it better but asking an average person to collect data on signal strength, MAC addresses, logs, splitter setup, firmware ect would be a nightmare for them. I'm imagining my Mom or Dad being hit with those kind of questions, not having a clue what any of it means and thinking they were getting terrible support as a result.

Some of it was kind of aimless and redundant as well, for example, asking me to try another coax cable when the connection is fine %99 of the time until it drops and resetting the modem results in it running fine again. Asking me if the modem is in standby or to do a factory reset when those options don't even exist on my modem struck me as odd as well. Asking me for my Modem serial and MAC when they already have my OID and customer info. Do they not keep any record of any of this themselves?

Let me clarify, i'm not knocking support, becuase I think their intentions are in the right place, and the response has been quick so far, but the method seem like it'd be nuts for anyone who isn't educated and experienced with computers and networking.

+1 ... exactly my sentiments. My experience is this is exactly what they ask everyone ... and that's one of my complaints about support. They should be taking the responsibility of getting all this information themselves, and not ask the customer to do so. As you said, some of it is too technical (for the average user), some of it is irrelevant, some of it they should already have on file. Also being in IT, I was able to easily answer the questions, but I feel it was a waste of my time. For others, it would definitely be too difficult.

The support experience could be much better.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

As I've said before ... to raise a problem to Rogers, and to avoid you getting a DMC charge, they have to ask all the dumb questions that a lot of the Rogers support people would ask. And believe me, I've been through this same pain with Rogers. Please power down your modem, please power up your modem. Please unplug the power to the modem. Please disconnect the router. Please try a new network cable. Please try a new coax cable. Please scratch your left ear in a breeze from the north on a warm winter's day.

If TSI doesn't go through this painful checking and report that they've done it to Rogers, then Rogers will bounce the request back "Have customer replace cables" for example and that goes through another 48 hour delay.

If TSI doesn't do this, the delays created by the support process are just interminable. As much as they are dumb things, if they didn't ask, you'd be SO pissed off at the delays it would be far worse!
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by sbrook:

As I've said before ... to raise a problem to Rogers, and to avoid you getting a DMC charge, they have to ask all the dumb questions that a lot of the Rogers support people would ask. And believe me, I've been through this same pain with Rogers. Please power down your modem, please power up your modem. Please unplug the power to the modem. Please disconnect the router. Please try a new network cable. Please try a new coax cable. Please scratch your left ear in a breeze from the north on a warm winter's day.

If TSI doesn't go through this painful checking and report that they've done it to Rogers, then Rogers will bounce the request back "Have customer replace cables" for example and that goes through another 48 hour delay.

If TSI doesn't do this, the delays created by the support process are just interminable. As much as they are dumb things, if they didn't ask, you'd be SO pissed off at the delays it would be far worse!

Exactly. Some of these complaints boil down to "I dislike reality and demand that TekSavvy ignore it." Rogers' obnoxious rules and delays are (gasp!) Rogers' fault. TSI can only try to be as helpful as possible within a difficult system.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

said by The Mongoose:

Exactly. Some of these complaints boil down to "I dislike reality and demand that TekSavvy ignore it." Rogers' obnoxious rules and delays are (gasp!) Rogers' fault. TSI can only try to be as helpful as possible within a difficult system.

Yes but it is their job to explain it to the user, not everyone surfs DSL reports and is up to date on the latest telecom developments.

There also needs to be more liability on their end to ensure that the customer is credited for all lost time..a loss of profit on their end might light the needed fire up their a** to improve the system to minimize these downtimes.

I'm not targeting Teksavvy specifically, all IISP's seem to have the easy out clause and blame the evil incumbent
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab

If their was more liability on their end they would be out of business. They are trying their best, it's good to know what you are buying.