how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

About time - RUSH get's HoF nomination...

»www.cbc.ca/strombo/music-2/legen···e&s=home

------------------

Keeping my personal bias towards RUSH out of it... They are an incredibly underrated act, regarded as being world class muscians, have sold millions upon millions of records, are credited as inspiration by countless current acts, and are (having personally met both Geddy and Neil) seemingly nice, genuine guys.

About time they got nominated...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

They lost me after Hemispheres.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Big fan of their early works. Saw them one tour too late with Permanent waves. Still was a great show, just not the set list I was hoping for.
As for the RnRHoF, they lost me after Ironica........

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to LazMan

It's about bloody time, and not just because I'm a huge RUSH fan either. Other nominees: Deep Purple, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Randy Newman, Procul Harum and Donna Summer.

If hip hop "artists" (and I use that term quite loosely) like Public Enemy or NWA get in before RUSH, than the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame loses a lot of credibility. I can't believe Deep Purple isn't there already, and JJ&B aren't in the same league as DP or RUSH.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to LazMan

The first concert I ever went to was RUSH in 1981 at MLG for the Moving Pictures tour. Blue end zone seats to match the smoke...

So on the 14th, the first concert my two teenage sons will be going to (ever), with me and the wife, is RUSH at the ACC for their Clockwork Angels tour, S101 r24. The youngest guy is an excellent bass player and a big Geddy Lee fan.

Oh the irony !
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan

I'm missing this tour - my wife's birthday AND our Anniversary is the same weekend they play Toronto...

R30 was incredible. That was the last tour I actually made it to - I had tickets to Time Machine, but was out of the country for work...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

It's about bloody time, and not just because I'm a huge RUSH fan either. Other nominees: Deep Purple, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Randy Newman, Procul Harum and Donna Summer.

If hip hop "artists" (and I use that term quite loosely) like Public Enemy or NWA get in before RUSH, than the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame loses a lot of credibility. I can't believe Deep Purple isn't there already, and JJ&B aren't in the same league as DP or RUSH.

I'm surprised that Deep Purple isn't in there either,they were so much better then some of the crud that has been inducted.

I don't know how many copies of Made in Japan I went through, it's been a long road, but it's still my favourite live album. The amount of energy that's in that album is beyond words.

quote:
I want everything louder then everything else
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

The first concert I ever went to was RUSH in 1981 at MLG for the Moving Pictures tour. Blue end zone seats to match the smoke...

So on the 14th, the first concert my two teenage sons will be going to (ever), with me and the wife, is RUSH at the ACC for their Clockwork Angels tour, S101 r24. The youngest guy is an excellent bass player and a big Geddy Lee fan.

Oh the irony !

I saw them with Max Webster opening at MLG ,I think it was a Christmas Eve show.. memory hazy.....
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

Good memory jog. Max Webster was the opening act for the 1981 tour.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UowX4L6iU_w

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

About time they got nominated...

Agreed.

If only they could do the same with The Guess Who.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

One could argue that, being early acts in Hip Hop, they would have been influenced by Rock and Roll. This is the same reason why there are Country and Western and Blues artists in the hall of fame, because they influenced Rock and Roll.

So long as it doesn't turn into the Hip Hop Hall of Fame, I don't have a problem with it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

It's interesting you bring that up.

In the Last Waltz, Scorsese , asks Levon Helm what about the sound.

It was a bit of country, blues, gospel , and myriad of different genres. Asked what that was, he replies, Rock and Roll.

Another show I watched with Joe Strummer of the Clash being interviewed,and he described growing up in an area where one side was Reggae, another Punk, another New Wave, and that all influenced the sound of The Clash.

Rock n Roll may have influenced a lot of artists, but it's also taken from many. Look at Led Zeppelin, they were very "Bluesy" at the onset their careers.

I was out and about a few weeks ago, and some place was playing a Britney Spears tune, and right through it I could hear Marvin Gayes No Mountain High Enough come right through the music.

There is a Stax Records box set out there,you can pick up cheaply enough and listen to how much was taken from these folks (who got nothing for it).
--