share rss forum feed

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

and the (hardware) vaporware award goes to?

as I recall none of the developers talking about bonding 24 - 32 downstream docsis for faster bandwidth using the CURRENT docsis 3.0 modems; so it's highly likely that docsis 3.1 wil use NEW proprietary modems for this new modulation inclusion.

also unknown is can other docsis modulations function on the same coax or must everything else be thrown out to accomodate 3.1? cause if it can't play nice with older modems then EVEYONE's getting the upgrade.. and probably paying for it too.. in the form of higher prices-- not to mention they have to mfg about 30 million modems in the next year-- I suspect they can do this node-by-node rather than the entire network at once so that will help.

How much would faster tiers cost?
It seems reasonable to start somewhere between 150 & 300 megabits for entry level plans. for $30 a month.. if that's the case, 2013's gonna be great provided caps don't ruin the party (or high prices).

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yes OFDM require new equipment at both ends (fiber and coax are still fine) and I believe it can (as currently concived) coexist with D3 on different channels making transistion more gradual. of course they have to hammer out a standard,test it, change the standard, test it. this is a few years away.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

said by tshirt:

Yes OFDM require new equipment at both ends (fiber and coax are still fine) and I believe it can (as currently concived) coexist with D3 on different channels making transistion more gradual. of course they have to hammer out a standard,test it, change the standard, test it. this is a few years away.

Companies such as Comcast aren't gonna wait another 2 years, they are already moving forward with FTTP as it's available NOW... the calculus is once google fiber lights up.. Verizon's not gonna wait (very long)to push gigabit plans into the market..

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

This is NOT FTTP.
It's to cover the 70% that aren't close enough to the node for the FTTP they offer.
Their current FTTP should cover a lot of small businesses, and in-home offices, and exec,s home account, and those DRIVEN to have the fastest home WOW server , but in the long run if they (remember this is all cable companies AND the same modulation and correction scheme works over fiber and possibly bonded twisted pair ) could offer all sort of users undreamed of speeds, certainly everywhere cable can reach.
and remember how long D3 took even after most decided to skip over D2/D2+ (or whatever it was called) if you see any widespread/major deployment before 5 years I would be suprised, 6-8-10 seems more likely.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

2 years is possible in competitive markets.. however, all docsis standards have been increasingly long to iron out the UPSTREAM issues.. coax is very good at sending bandwidth signals ONE WAY, but not equally SYMMETRICAL on dozens of frequencies at the same time. as I've said before, it's likely that cable companies will see docsis as too asymmetric going forward.. consumers won't want asymmetrical tiers that create ratios of 10:1 15:1 on bandwidth-- cable companies will have to choose FTTP over coax as the last mile.

cable companies need to be able to get gigabit+ out of the next standard up & down virtually ALL computers made today come with gigabit ethernet ports. it's a shame not to finally take advantage of them with speeds at or above 100 megabits being affordable to the mass consumer.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Cable certainly can handle both directions very well. But the problem is in some areas they need FCC permission to shut down the bandwidth hogging analogs. Yep its their network but the FCC somehow legally gets to tell them what they can stop sending over it.

Optimally to extend the life of Coax will be to go completely switched digital video, But then people come out against the box rentals. Which always makes me laugh because any non OTA alternate to cable requires a full box on every TV.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports