share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to skeechan

Re: [rant] Dont they get it - its not just the hardware

said by skeechan:

The largest company by market cap and every new device setting sales records?

Don't remember RIM doing either.

RIM at it's peak was on top of the smartphone industry. Instead of competing with new competitors Apple and Google, and to some degree Palm, they got complacent, and made small updates.

Apple came up with something much better.

But now Apple is complacent, adding features that other companies like Google have had, or backwards features like Apple maps. Use the market cap argument all you want, but NO PRODUCT IS EVER PERFECT, AND COMPLACENCY KILLS MANY A BUSINESS.

There is ALWAYS a better product waiting around the corner. Apple thinks there shit doesn't stink, that they made the perfect smartphone, just like RIM did in it's time. pride comes before the fall.

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Android based hardware is better.

First off maybe I misunderstand your statement. I'm assuming you are saying that at least certain Android Smartphones such as Samsung, LG, or HTC top of the line models are superior hardware wise to the iPhone?

I don't have a Smartphone nor am I likely to have one but I read about them every day including all sorts of evaluations from various source as all aspects--both objective evaluation as well as subjective.

Apple iPhone comes out the clear cut winner subjectively and objectively. In fact I've never seen it disputed from a non-biased source.

Just the mechanical tolerances between the fittings or parts on the iPhone are way ahead of the Androids. (That's not to say the Androids are not very good or excellent, just that iPhones are better and tighter!)

If I misunderstood you ignore my ignorance.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to ptrowski
It's all preference. I find every version of android to be buggy and to feel as if it were a poorly done rip of of iOS. Its customizability is nice but if all the software is glitchy what is the point.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

lets see - 1 year old Sammy, paid $200, worth $50. 2 Year old IPhone - paid $200, just received $200

said by dellsweig:

Higher quality build == Higher resale value

said by JohnInSJ:

Frankly, and honestly, the only thing iOS has at this point is the sheer volume of apps.

This thread hurts to read.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

It's all preference. I find every version of android to be buggy and to feel as if it were a poorly done rip of of iOS. Its customizability is nice but if all the software is glitchy what is the point.

I completely agree that it's a matter of preference, however I am very curious to know which Androids did you have hands on experience with (past playing with it for 5 minutes in a wireless store) and what were the bugs you've experienced. As an Android user since OG Droid and now Razr Maxx I haven't experienced any bugs that were not caused by faulty apps and there were always alternatives to those apps, or bad manufacturer overlays, with HTC Sense being the worst offender in the category.

I did experience the constant improvement in os from Froyo on OG Droid to ICS on Maxx, while iOS remained exactly the same over the years, with only minor tweaks.

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to dellsweig
I agree. The OS is more important than the hardware to me...that's why I am using this HTC Trophy running Windows Phone, it is by far the slickest system I've used and some of the things it does are very nice (linking various inboxes, for one). I've used both Android and iOS and they both frustrate me to no end.

I am interested in how well WP8 manages to keep the performance going though. Should be interesting. But I love unlocking my phone and getting that beautiful, interesting, warm and personal metro interface

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Count Zero
I agree it's a matter of preference, that's why I find these threads funny. Person A says they love iOS and everything else sucks, usually without any first hand experience with the others. Person B says ios sucks, and so on.

My opinion is that iOS needs to start innovating again. It's a stable OS but it is starting to seem like it is always playing catchup to others. I had a chance to mess around with a Galaxy S3 over the weekend and I found it to be the best Android phone/OS version so far, the first I would say that overtakes iOS.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge See Profile
I completely agree that it's a matter of preference, however I am very curious to know which Androids did you have hands on experience with (past playing with it for 5 minutes in a wireless store) and what were the bugs you've experienced.

Droid X. Bought on launch day, stopped using in June and still use as an MP3 player with headphones at night.

1. Slow after a while and MotoBlur had numerous bugs that would cause the phone to reboot randomly which Moto never fixed before they abandoned it.

2. WiFi hotspot never worked right - exchanged 1 phone to have the same thing on the new one and gave up.

3. WiFi reception was terrible and had bugs with my old Dlink 802.11n router where it would suck the battery dry.

4. Bluetooth was somewhat flakey in the beginning but that got fixed.

5. Random reboots when the phone would feel like it - confirmed bug which Moto never really fixed.

6. It was abandoned by Motorola.

7. Slow at doing basic things such as web browsing.

8. Annoying that memory was fragmented - internal vs external and you had to choose when you plugged it in what you wanted - USB charge or access from your computer.

9. Media management was annoying and I even tried the best app - iSyncr.

10. Moto's stock mail client would not delete IMAP messages on the server.

Care for me to go on? Android has really poor usability and support....

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Android is very upgradable and it's meant to be that way. It's the manufacturers not giving a shit about their product after it's released. It's a very tightened release cycle, which is a problem.

Apple throws upgrades at devices until they simply run like crap. That gets people to upgrade them.

--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I like my harsh, cold, live new UI interface formerly known as Metro. It's at least as thrilling as a grid of icons. Some with little numbers in red circles.

You must be blind. Metro is pretty ugly and nasty to use. Live tiles are poorly thought out and confusing to use. The "lets use huge fonts and cut things off" is annoying and points how MS is trying to be "hip" and fails miserably.

Metro is like the 40 year old Mom with the tramp stamp and nose ring trying to be "cool". (It's not cool on your daughter and it's sure not cool on you.)

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I find Metro to be great. I've been running it on a couple of laptops for a while now and would have preferred a Windows phone instead of the GH3 I have or the IP5 I could have gotten. It's far more innovative than what Apple has done in the last few years.
--
"That wasn’t a debate so much as Mitt Romney just took Obama for a cross country drive strapped to the roof of his car." - Mark Hemingway, The Weekly Standard.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Apple throws upgrades at devices until they simply run like crap. That gets people to upgrade them.

Really? I have not heard much complaining out of the 3GS crowd running iOS 6...

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

That's called supply and demand. It has nothing to do with quality of the hardware. Specs wise, there are quite a few Android phones with superior CPU/memory/screen/etc specs.

You're right about supply and demand being why resale value for Apple products is so high. However, you're incorrect about any current Android phone having a faster processor or memory. The closest competitor is the INTERNATIONAL (read: Quad Core) Samsung Galaxy SIII. The US version has a dual-core Snapdragon S4.

As far as graphics, the iPhone 5 has graphics capability equal to the iPad 3 and about three times as fast as anything in an Android phone.

»www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-···-preview

I should also mention this is with the SoC only running at 1GHz versus it's closest competitor running at 1.5GHz. Apple has wowed virtually everyone in the CPU space with the A6 chip, especially since it's their first in house design.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

I find Metro to be great. I've been running it on a couple of laptops for a while now and would have preferred a Windows phone instead of the GH3 I have or the IP5 I could have gotten. It's far more innovative than what Apple has done in the last few years.

+1

I'll be moving off my iPhone and on to a WP8 very soon. I'm excited about it. And it's not like I'm an Apple hater. I'm typing this on a Mac, will be going to a meeting soon carrying a Macbook Pro, and have used iPhones for the past 4 years. I just think MS did a really good job with their OS. It's all a tool... I have no problem going between Win to OSx to Linux... they all have their uses.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to itguy05
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, however using a single phone (and probably the worst iteration of android implementation since Eris) and then declaring android is buggy is not objective. The fact that you mention MotoBlur just confirms what I've said in my other posts, the OS is fine, it's the custom interfaces that manufacturers insist on putting up there that need work.

I will concede that Motorola and other Android device manufacturers tend to abandon their devices rather quickly, however the only reason Apple can support devices going relatively far back is because nothing really changes in iOS, it has been esentially the same since 3GS days, with small set of features being added over time (ie "fake" multi-tasking). On the other hand you can always root most Android phones and install whatever you want on it, but that's not an officialy supported upgrade.

Care for me to go on? Android has really poor usability and support....

Droid X had poor usability and support. I think this points out Android's biggest challenge - any manufacturer can mess up the reputation for everyone by releasing a crappy phone, since they all get lumped under the "Android" label. Notice how Samsung is trying to not to market Android, they market Galaxy line of phones / tablets.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to itguy05
My brothers droidX and an S2

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to ptrowski
While at Best buy I played with an S3. It felt cheap and unpleasant in my hands compared to my old 4S. The screen wasn't as sharp and the colors were poor, it's too big to hold comfortably. And it still runs android...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

said by JohnInSJ:

I like my harsh, cold, live new UI interface formerly known as Metro. It's at least as thrilling as a grid of icons. Some with little numbers in red circles.

You must be blind. Metro is pretty ugly and nasty to use. Live tiles are poorly thought out and confusing to use. The "lets use huge fonts and cut things off" is annoying and points how MS is trying to be "hip" and fails miserably.

Metro is like the 40 year old Mom with the tramp stamp and nose ring trying to be "cool". (It's not cool on your daughter and it's sure not cool on you.)

So, I take it you prefer the endless rows of icons with little red circles? Good for you.

And I LIKE my tramp stamp because I am all about teh cool.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

While at Best buy I played with an S3. It felt cheap and unpleasant in my hands compared to my old 4S. The screen wasn't as sharp and the colors were poor, it's too big to hold comfortably. And it still runs android...

No offense, but you are full of iy with that response. Not even going into ios versus android, the galaxy screen is oled. Which means near perfect contrast nd perfect blacks, which anyone can easily see unless you are legally blind..

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

And I LIKE my tramp stamp because I am all about teh cool.

Hey, my mom's the coolest! She's got stickers and everything!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I am literally STUNNED that this is posted in a mac forum. Stunned.

I'm a long time Microsoft customer who has barely touched Apple products over the years, but I agree with the "lipstick on a pig" assessment. I know that Windows is rotten to the core, and while Microsoft may fix this or that with any given release, it's just really not in their DNA to be able to provide a quality, stable, secure OS.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by scross:

said by JohnInSJ:

I know that Windows is rotten to the core

You "know" this how, exactly?
--

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

I agree it's a matter of preference, that's why I find these threads funny. Person A says they love iOS and everything else sucks, usually without any first hand experience with the others. Person B says ios sucks, and so on.

Funny, I'm the one who usually points out that people who think Windows is a quality OS probably don't have enough experience with any other OS to be able to make that call. And then I get called all kinds of names for pointing that out. Hopefully you won't suffer the same fate!

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by scross:

said by JohnInSJ:

I know that Windows is rotten to the core

You "know" this how, exactly?

25+ years of experience working with it, by choice or necessity (including since before Windows 1.0 was even officially released), while also working with other operating systems that are far more stable and secure and reliable, with basically zero malware issues to boot. I'm not saying that later versions of Windows haven't made the situation somewhat better, but it's kind of like adding more nails or screws and layers of patch and paint on top of rotting wood - it may get the job done (barely), but you never know when it's going to collapse on you, so it just needs rebuilding from the ground up. But by the time Microsoft could possibly do this, the world will have moved on, as it is doing right now.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
So, when did you stop working with it? Do you work with it with UAC disabled?
--

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to scross
said by scross:

But by the time Microsoft could possibly do this, the world will have moved on, as it is doing right now.

By...continuing to buy the same products? Not sure what you're getting at here.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Thaler:

said by scross:

But by the time Microsoft could possibly do this, the world will have moved on, as it is doing right now.

Or what it has to do with iOS. Which hasn't changed significantly in 2 years (iOS4.2)
--

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
No, I continue to work with it (I'm working with it right now) because I generally have to out of necessity, plus I have several computers at home with various versions of it loaded. All of them have UAC running, if it applies to that version.

But ...

I got so tired of listening to my wife and daughter complain about this and that problem with their Windows boxes ("Honey, that's just Windows for you. Windows sucks - always has sucked, always will suck!"), and so tired of having to deal with the incessant patches and emergency updates and such (these were turning into a major time suck for me), that I told my wife that if she wanted to try a Mac then we could buy her one as a test. That was several months ago now, and I've barely heard a peep out of her concerning her MacBook Pro, which she loves so much. Now my daughter wants one, too, and I may not be too far behind myself. Although I would probably go more down the "dump Windows and go to Linux or Android" path myself, or maybe build a Hackintosh or something.

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Mac, Android, Linux, etc. - ever heard of those?

Soon it will be true (if it isn't true already) that most people and organizations which continue to use Windows do so because they HAVE to for various reasons, not because they want to.

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Or what it has to do with iOS. Which hasn't changed significantly in 2 years (iOS4.2)

Was there a question here?