Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] Has anyone heard of ViDock?

I'm curious if anyone has heard of or is using this:

»www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-···e=ViDock

It looks interesting but their FAQ says they don't support PCI x16... I'm curious how this works with a laptop, you connect it to your spare PCIe port or docking station and then it works just like a desktop GPU?

I've read that it isn't as stable as it should be, so if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
It connects via Expresscard for a PCI-e x1 connection, so don't expect to shoehorn in a GTX680 and game on your laptop. It also has the potential to be used with Thunderbolt, but it's just Expresscard (34mm) at the moment. As far as stability, that dosen't surprise me given the nature of the connections (x16/x8 (at least 10Gbps) throttled down to x1 (1Gbps) which is sharing bandwidth with a USB host controller (480Mbps) besides.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by sk1939:

It connects via Expresscard for a PCI-e x1 connection, so don't expect to shoehorn in a GTX680 and game on your laptop.

What size of card could one reasonnably expect to get on PCIe 1x?

My laptop has a built in GT540M already, could I get something better with this?
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Not really, the cards that generally work in the constraints of an x1 slot are the GT 610 and HD 6450 which are both slower than what you have (and slower than the integrated graphics on a first generation i3).

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
So even the vidock4+ would be a bit of a writeoff?

That's too bad because this would be a great idea, probably much better when Thunderbolt hits the market.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
Yep, because you are still limited to the Expresscard x1 interface, which depending on the age of your PC (assuming it even has Expresscard, many do not) is either 1GB/s or 5GB/s depending on the revision (Expresscard 1.0 vs 2.0).

Thunderbolt would be better because you could use the full x8 capacity assuming you had no other devices down the chain.