uniqs

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

intel HD400 vs NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M

Hello, i am debating between a Mac Book Pro 13" iCore5 (2.5) and the Asus UX32VD iCore7 (1.9).

The asus can be upgraded to 10GB of RAM total and the MBP can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM. Asus has discrete graphics, the MBP doesnt, this is why i am wondering about the performance difference between the HD4000 and the GeForce GT 620M.

I've found some links, but the seem a bit bias..

If anyone can provide any help, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

What are you trying to accomplish with these laptops? I wouldn't guess you're looking to do gaming, because that is still done mostly on Windows. And if you're not gaming, that defeats most of the purpose of getting a discrete video card.

Also, in addition to the video card, there's more differences between the systems. The Mac uses a faster SSD while the ASUS uses a slower hybrid drive. The Mac uses a lower i5 while the ASUS uses a i7.

But stricktly speaking, the NVIDIA is a slightly better graphics card. In Skyrim on low settings, the Intel 4000 in the MacBook Air gets 30 FPS. The NVIDIA in the ASUS gets 36 FPS. In Diablo 3 on low settings, the ASUS gets 89 FPS while the MacBook Air gets around 50 FPS.

Sources:
»www.notebookcheck.net/In ··· 8.0.html
»www.notebookcheck.net/NV ··· 8.0.html

MacBook Air 13 inch
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz)
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 4000
$1,199.00

ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DB71 13.3-Inch
Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz, dual core (Turbo up to 3GHz)
4 GB RAM
500 GB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive
Nvidia GT 620M
$1,249.99

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Sorry, i wasnt comparing the MacBook Air, but the MacBook Pro.

It'd mainly for development (web, mobile, desktop and small games). I dont do a lot of gaming anymore, but every now and then i enjoy RTS games. So being able to do that would be a plus and this is why i would like to compare the HD4000 vs the 620M, if it is only slightly better, it wouldnt matter which way i go and i'd probably look into repair-ability and upgrade-ability.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

Sorry about that, I keep forgetting about the 13 inch MacBook Pro.

As far as upgradeability, both the ASUS and the Mac let you open them up and replace the RAM and HD.

I think the real question is whether you want Windows or Mac OS X. Depending on what development you're doing, you may have to choose one or the other. Otherwise, they're about the same all around.