uniqs
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

Installing Owens Corning Atticat Insulation

So I need to get some more insulation in my attic. Batts would be really hard to do. I was looking at the Atticat at HD but :
1) No way to transport blower
2) No one to help if I could get a blower
3) I won't be getting enough bales to use the blower for free

Previously I took bags of recycled paper type blow-in and cut them open in the attic. Then I used a rake to move it around and fluff it up.

Is the O/C Atticat compressed too tight to do the same thing. I'm only going to use about 5 bails.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by kherr:

So I need to get some more insulation in my attic. Batts would be really hard to do. I was looking at the Atticat at HD but :
1) No way to transport blower
2) No one to help if I could get a blower
3) I won't be getting enough bales to use the blower for free

Previously I took bags of recycled paper type blow-in and cut them open in the attic. Then I used a rake to move it around and fluff it up.

Is the O/C Atticat compressed too tight to do the same thing. I'm only going to use about 5 bails.

I had a similar problem, no help, no way to transport.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and a drill motor with a big paint mixer/grout blade to fluff the paper type insulation with in the bucket. Then I would carry the bucket up the ladder to the attic and dispense. It went very very slow, but it worked.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to kherr

to kherr
possible this might help

»www.certainteed.com/Prod ··· s/341252

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

Loose fill fiberglass? O.O Sounds like the makings of a nightmare, you get itchy enough working with bats and panels.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to kherr

to kherr
Batts would be really hard to do.... but you can't do blown in?

What were you expecting? A "do-it-from-sofa" method?

Batts are easy as in: You can take your sweet sweet time to do it (over the course of weeks, an hour or two at a time) since you don't rent anything.

Blown in is easy as in: You can do it all in a few hours if you have the way of transporting the blower (Can't HD rent you a truck AND the blower?)

If you have too little to buy to get the rental for free, it means batts are ideal and should be quick enough.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

My last post must not have made it. I found a video on YouTube that shows that the Atticat machine breaks down into 2 parts for transportation. Also the bails are cut in half to load so dad should be able to handle them. All I need to do is halve them before I go up. I’ll just have to spend a few $$ to rent the machine, but the finished product will be a lot better.

I also found a video where they made boxes to hold some fiberglass and cellulose insulation. They placed a light bulb in each. The fiberglass was unaffected and the cellulose all but burned away ….. needless to say, I’m sold on fiberglass.

The problems with batts is that the second layer of batts that are up there now are so sporadic due to past rodent problems, I’d have to pull them all out in order to lay down even rows. Even without that, if I had to go back up for some reason, I’d never be able to realign the rows without gaps (been there done that). Regardless of batts or blown, I have throwaway Tyvec coveralls and a good dust mask (type used by painters when spraying), so airborne fibers are not a problem. I’ll also be able to fill in gaps of existing batts in the other half of the attic. Any extra insulation I have I can always blow over my HVAC trunk line that is up there.