My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

First 2 weeks officially cancelled

No problem for Buttman -- at 8 mil a year, he'll earn about $300,000 during those two weeks. Money well spent, eh?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If the NHL loses another season over this they will never recover in the United States, just like MLB for the most part hasn't recovered either.

The whole situation with the KHL right now could throw a real wrench into things too, especially if they decide to take advantage of this and proceed with their long-planned expansion into North America.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
I am done buying any products from the NHL.. I will only watch free stuff or stream radio broadcasts... I used to pay for Centre Ice, buy Jerseys, buy paraphanalia, goto games... no more.. until Bettman is gone

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

If the NHL loses another season over this they will never recover in the United States, just like MLB for the most part hasn't recovered either.

That can be a good thing, because the failing franchises in bad markets will not recover, and will either have to fold or be relocated.

This is something Buttman and the league is unwilling to even talk about. But they'll have to eventually.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by HiVolt:

That can be a good thing, because the failing franchises in bad markets will not recover, and will either have to fold or be relocated.

This is something Buttman and the league is unwilling to even talk about. But they'll have to eventually.

Lowering the salary cap won't save those teams, as they are floor spenders for the most part and just can't make enough money to make a go of it. Then again, Ottawa is a break even team and this IS a hockey market, so it's not just the southern teams that hurt.

MLB and the NFL exist in big and small leagues because of revenue sharing, and it works if it's done right. Even if the NHL were to go that route (something Butthead and top level team owners don't want to even talk about), they'll find a way to screw it up like they did the salary cap by finding ways around it or other tricks.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Yup, and this is going to be an even more pressing issue with how aggressive the KHL has become. Welcome to the 1970s all over again.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

I am done buying any products from the NHL.. I will only watch free stuff or stream radio broadcasts... I used to pay for Centre Ice, buy Jerseys, buy paraphanalia, goto games... no more.. until Bettman is gone

You and I both.Even if they do settle there won't be an NHL game playing on my tv's this year. Screw the owners and the players they are all greedy. MLB playoffs, NFL, MMA ect. and I will subscribe to the OHL package if i get bored.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Gotta support junior hockey no matter what. It would be immoral for a Canadian hockey - even if not NHL - fan not to.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

Unless he screws up royally Bettman is going nowhere, he's the face of the owners,and is a great front. Somebody else may not be as good.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by BigSensFan:

Unless he screws up royally Bettman is going nowhere, he's the face of the owners,and is a great front. Somebody else may not be as good.

You are probably right... but if enough fans boycott then he will be gone
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by BigSensFan:

said by elwoodblues:

said by BigSensFan:

You are probably right... but if enough fans boycott then he will be gone

Nope, Bettman makes the perfect "Straw Man" for the owners to hide behind, even as the owners for the most part are pulling his strings (and stabbing him in the back) by signing insane deals that may or may not be CBA compliant, remember the NJ contract fiasco? He ain't going anywhere and if (as seems likely at this point) the season is toasted completely, I'm going to cancel my cable TV altogether after the Superbowl in Feb 13 cause there will be nothing left on TV I want to watch at that point.

RoBell, the new corporate overlords at MLSE can thus "suck it"

NefCanuck

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Agreed. Bettman will likely be around simply because he makes money for the owners. He's like the crooked malignant CEO of a corporation that couldn't care less about the product but knows every business and accounting trick in the book. The product is crap, the customers are pissed off, but the shareholders are delighted.

Of course the owners aren't making any money right now, and they sure didn't in 2004-05, but as long as they believe the fault is all with the PA and Bettman is fighting for "the greater good", he's golden. As usual, it's the fans who get the shaft.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Anyone ever see this movie...........kill Buttman

»www.thehockeynews.com/ar ··· ine.html

lol..
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

I've long taken pride in the fact that the highest grossing Canadian-made movie revolves around a plot to kill Gary Bettman =]

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

said by NefCanuck:

RoBell, the new corporate overlords at MLSE can thus "suck it"

NefCanuck

Rogers and bell must be screaming right now, they spent over a $1b for "Content" and there isn't any.

Love it...
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Anyone ever see this movie...........kill Buttman

Bon Cop, Good Cop is one of the highest grossing Canadian movies.
The whole Buttman sub plot with Quebec losing a team is priceless.