Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Rogers is desperate to keep customers

I told a buddy of mine about the retention deals that are out there,and he called Rogers.

They are offering him the 75mb package with a 250gb cap with modem rental for $45/month on a 2yr term.

Man this is probably cheaper then the TPIA providers pay Rogers.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

m3chen

join:2009-12-03
Toronto, ON

Holy!!! If I hadn't already paid $100 for a modem and gone through all the troubles of getting my 16mb/1 DSL going, I would ATTACK / LEAP / (Possibly kill?) for/at the possibility of paying $47 a month on a two year term for 75mb w/250gb!!!!

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues

the sad part is this is only for 2 years... after the 2 years the price will go back up and I doubt they will let you renew the price, nor under conditions of contract likely have a clause that will let them increase the price during the 2 year term.

I hate contracts.. You have no ability to hold anyone accountable.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by koreyb:

the sad part is this is only for 2 years... after the 2 years the price will go back up and I doubt they will let you renew the price, nor under conditions of contract likely have a clause that will let them increase the price during the 2 year term.

I hate contracts.. You have no ability to hold anyone accountable.

The thing is in 2yrs you say.. give me a deal or else... TPIA should be flourishing even better by then.

I figured out from his description they gave him the POS SMC modem (not even in a box!)
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I told a buddy of mine about the retention deals that are out there,and he called Rogers.

They are offering him the 75mb package with a 250gb cap with modem rental for $45/month on a 2yr term.

end of story no one wants caps

johnkim

join:2011-10-01
reply to elwoodblues

thanks. Im on express and getting killed by the bandwidth. almost paying $100 a month. I will call them and let them know. Should I say I want to cancel because it is too expensive?

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

75mbps? You mean the Ultimate package right? Maybe I should have stayed on Rogers...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Guess so, but 250gb wouldn't cut it for me.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The thing is in 2yrs you say.. give me a deal or else... TPIA should be flourishing even better by then.

Either that, or these type of deals will be what's needed by Rogers to kill demand for TPIA.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to elwoodblues

Where does it show 75mb package? It seems jump from 32 to 150.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

150 is not available to every location, where it is not available, it is other speed, 75mbit i believe.

Its written on their website.
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by damir52:

150 is not available to every location, where it is not available, it is other speed, 75mbit i believe.

Its written on their website.

He lives at King and Sherbourne, the heart of downtown, so I'm surprised 150mbs is not available.
--

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

I live in down town of Kitchener, and 150mbit is not available as well.

Not even anything higher then 15mbit on DSL.

Its sad, but true
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

quidnunc

join:2011-03-03
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to elwoodblues

That's a good plan but it's also just the base plan. If you go over the 250gb you could easily end up paying overages that make it approach what we paid before. I'll stick to Teksavvy where the price is fixed. It's slower but I find 28mbps preferable to getting a $100+ bill (over and above the $100+ I pay for Rogers TV)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by quidnunc:

That's a good plan but it's also just the base plan. If you go over the 250gb you could easily end up paying overages that make it approach what we paid before. I'll stick to Teksavvy where the price is fixed. It's slower but I find 28mbps preferable to getting a $100+ bill (over and above the $100+ I pay for Rogers TV)

Depends, when you are living with a 60gb cap 250 is huge, personally for me, it would never work, but for my buddy, it should be fine.
--

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

Either that, or these type of deals will be what's needed by Rogers to kill demand for TPIA.

That is very much what I am thinking as well. 250GB/month is enough for ~97% of people and under $50/month for 75Mbps would be a tough offer to pass for people who are already shelling out over $40/month for whatever they have now.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

That is very much what I am thinking as well. 250GB/month is enough for ~97% of people and under $50/month for 75Mbps would be a tough offer to pass for people who are already shelling out over $40/month for whatever they have now.

And once they've killed TPIA, the $45/month will magically become $100 or more.
--

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by elwoodblues:

We'll probably see the TPIAs filing CRTC complaints about wholesale rates preventing them from matching the incumbents' retention offers if enough people end up going back with incumbents due to promo/retention deals 3rd-party ISPs cannot match due to wholesale rates and the rate structure.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by InvalidError:

said by elwoodblues:

We'll probably see the TPIAs filing CRTC complaints about wholesale rates preventing them from matching the incumbents' retention offers if enough people end up going back with incumbents due to promo/retention deals 3rd-party ISPs cannot match due to wholesale rates and the rate structure.

TPIA users can't switch back to Robellus though. At least not in the GTA, and for me. I don't see any Rogers promotions except for the student deals, and that would mean that my SB6120 would be going to waste.

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

75mb with a 250Gig cap? They should offer that package for free, because your buddy will be into the Rogers butter zone where he'll be paying for overages maybe a couple of days into his billing cycle.

More speed! Getting you to your cap, faster than ever before!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

He;s not an Angelo, I'm not concerned about that.

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

This is Robbers we're talking about, you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt. There's probably a clause in the contract somewhere that states they can revoke the special price and jack it up to whatever they see fit, or lower the cap whenever they want to as well.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Oh probably, I did warn him, but it's not my money, so I don't care. I'm happy with my 28/1 unlimited Distributel. 75mb would be nice, but it's not a show stopper.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to elwoodblues

Yeah because everyone downloads everything the internet has to offer 24/7.

funny0

join:2010-12-22

said by Pesterd :

you'd have to with 5 megabit if you wanted to see a HD movie a day
and with those caps it equates to 4 -6 of them a month....

Literally useless for the price your paying .....better to get 6 local friends to each buy one then have everyone rip a copy for each other.....and save on net costs altogether....oh wait that's illegal don't do it....

doingit

@speakeasy.net
reply to elwoodblues

They've been doing offers like this for a while. A buddy of mine called to cancel and switch his express package to start.ca. Rogers offered Ultimate with a 250 gig cap for $29.99/month on a one year contract plus the bundle discount as he also has a rogers phone. He took the offer of course.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to funny0

said by funny0:

said by Pesterd :

you'd have to with 5 megabit if you wanted to see a HD movie a day
and with those caps it equates to 4 -6 of them a month....

Where do you get those numbers? I watch a lot of series episodes and movies in HD every month on Netflix and I'm on Extreme with a 120Gb cap. I have yet to exceed it (the only times I came close were because I had been off or sick for several days during the month and watch more stuff than usual). With that said, looks like I'm moving in a few week and I'll probably go with Start Communications - same speeds with a 300Gb cap, for roughly $20/mo. less than what I'm paying now.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to doingit

The Cap still kills it, at those speeds you're gettting your content so much faster that you're going to end up getting so much more. I had a 300GB cap on my 5mbit connection and i had to upgrade to unlimited cause it still wasn't enough.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by afterburn999:

The Cap still kills it, at those speeds you're gettting your content so much faster that you're going to end up getting so much more. I had a 300GB cap on my 5mbit connection and i had to upgrade to unlimited cause it still wasn't enough.

Do you download stuff just for the sake of it? Just curious, because this summer there were times when I was stuck at home sick and watched a lot of Netflix, and still stayed under 120Gb (though I did get very close once).

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by MichelR:

said by afterburn999:

Do you download stuff just for the sake of it? Just curious, because this summer there were times when I was stuck at home sick and watched a lot of Netflix, and still stayed under 120Gb (though I did get very close once).

»jimbarr.net/idownload/downloadwww.gif