Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

OS X in a Windows world

I start a new job on the 15th and already picked up my laptop... a Mid-2011 MacBook Air. Now I've had a MacBook for a while at home, but never had to use one every day especially to manage a Windows environment.

I was also given a copy of Parallels and Office for Mac, but I'd like to try and stay in OS X as much as possible and not just run a Windows VM or bootcamp it. Any Apps/tools to recommend? Tips/tricks/advice?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

Is the intention here to make your life more difficult than it needs to be?
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to Badger3k

Premium Member

to Badger3k
RDP to whatever you need?
»www.microsoft.com/mac/re ··· p-client

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Maybe it's some new hire hazing thing, I don't know. I know about RDP and I think Office comes with an updated version or something (box says something about it), just wasn't sure if there was anything else native.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to Badger3k

Premium Member

to Badger3k
I would personally use a Windows VM on the laptop (I prefer VMWare Fusion, but Parallels is good software too), and operate mostly out of the VM unless there is something you *need* from the OS X side.

I currently use a Macbook Pro in our setup which is all windows, save for one lab of Macs. Which is why I have the MBP, to run ARD. Otherwise I try to operate from the Windows side.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to Badger3k

to Badger3k
Since we only make windows software at work we are seeing some customer using mac buying our software and asking how to run it on a mac.

Customers using Parallels seem to have more issues with the virtual machine crashing and having to be redone than with vmfusion or virtual box.

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
Gotcha. I figured I'd be living in a VM most of the time. I didn't have any choice in the matter (obviously) or I would have at least asked for something with 8GB instead of 4GB of RAM. Oh well.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Moffetts

MVM

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Is the intention here to make your life more difficult than it needs to be?

+1
I'd suggest getting right tool for the job. I'm a Windows guy, but wouldn't even attempt managing an Apple network with a Windows machine. Getting native tools to work can be a chore, I wouldn't want to imaging trying to get a non-native client to work.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to Badger3k

Premium Member

to Badger3k
One other option I forgot to mention yesterday is use BootCamp and install windows natively. You can wipe out the OS X partition entirely I believe after installing Windows. Or if you prefer to keep it around just in case, you can make it small.

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

said by Weasel:

One other option I forgot to mention yesterday is use BootCamp and install windows natively. You can wipe out the OS X partition entirely I believe after installing Windows. Or if you prefer to keep it around just in case, you can make it small.

I may end up doing that in the end. Since I'm not real sure what I'm walking into I didn't want to just walk in with a MacBook Air running Windows to start off with.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Badger3k

Mod

to Badger3k
Immediately do a 35 zero pass on your SSD to get rid of any traces of MS RDP.

Use CorD - cord.sf.net

Split it off and use Virtualbox. Can load windows whatever and tools for 40gb
Storage_Guy
join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

Storage_Guy to Badger3k

to Badger3k
Sounds like the wrong tool for the job, but that depends on how much day to day administration you will be doing. RDP might be everything you need in a Windows world.

I would just make a Windows 7 VM that you can RDP to when needed. That has worked well for me.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Badger3k

MVM

to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

said by Weasel:

I may end up doing that in the end. Since I'm not real sure what I'm walking into I didn't want to just walk in with a MacBook Air running Windows to start off with.

If that's the case, why have a Mac to begin with ?

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Because that's what they gave me? I agree, I'm just going with what I've been given.