Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Unexpected voltage on circuit

said by Jack_in_VA:

There should be "0" current to ground on any equipment. If there is ground current present especially enough to trip a GFCI then the equipment is defective.

Many equipment have line filters that shunt EMI to ground. Anything with a grounded chassis (everything), theoretically shunts any received or produced electrical noise to ground. Surge suppressors shunt transients to ground. While this current may not add up to a whole lot; it is certainly not zero and does not mean the equipment is broken. Current from electromagnetic induction, where for example, the ground wire runs in parallel for some distance with the equipment wires, will produce ground current. On the other hand, with burnt motor windings and similar other issues that produce leakage current; current on the ground can in fact indicate their is an problem with the equipment. The answer is - it all depends.

On the other hand, it makes no sense to plug this equipment into a GFCI for personal protection. The GFCI can in fact trip and although doing its job, would have to be considered a nuisance trip, IMHO.

I have measured a few amps of leakage current in computer rooms, simply from induction and EMI leakage current coming from the servers. The owner was concerned and the issue was investigated very carefully. The end result is that it was simply the sum of all leakage current from line filters and surge suppressors in the power strips and servers.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

The neutral and ground should be the same potential as they are connected together in the panel so how do you figure "current" flow? You could lift the ground in the panel and the device most likely would never know it. That would however stop your current flow.

Good grief there are probably millions of homes that the wiring is old enough not to even have grounds. How are they functioning?

I am talking about your assertion that
said by Jack_in_VA:

There should be "0" current to ground on any equipment.

Current to ground can flow without having a malfunction.
Yes, you can disconnect the bonding and the device wouldn't care, however the ground line would be floating at ~60V

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to marigolds

said by marigolds:

So overall, the dim tester light is not a problem.

My problem is that I need to get my inline GFCI protection in place before I use the circuit (which I already knew), and hopefully someday figure out a way to ground it.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yes, put in a GFCI and then if you have problems you can deal with them.