join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Lone Wolf

Re: Scorecard

T-Mo, Sprint and MetroPCS all have 3G and 4G (TMo's DC-H+ network counts), though MetroPCS has little EvDO 3G.

Metro+TMo will use GSM/HSPA exclusively for non-LTE 2.5 years down the road. Sprint will use CDMA exclusively.

Sprint and MetroPCS have LTE now. TMo will have it soon. TMo+MetroPCS will have LTE.

Sprint will have TD-LTE via Clearwire next year. Clearwire may offer its TD-LTE to other carriers, but it's unknown as to who will hop on the bandwagon.

TMo+MetroPCS will have LTE in AWS only. Sprint will have LTE in PCS only for now, and SMR and 2500MHz later. There is no technical reason to make the networks compatible, though doing so would add minimal cost to handsets from both carriers.

My personal bet: we'll see T-Mobile and Sprint merging four to five years from now, at which point we'll see quad-band LTE handsets from them (PCS, AWS, SMR, 2500). By this point, Sprint will have bought CricKet, and both AT&T and Verizon will have LTE in AWS and PCS. Now whether roaming agreements will exist between the Big Three for LTE in AWS and PCS is another question entirely...

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
Metro+TMo will have some 700mhz lte just like metro does now, it could be used exclusively to enhance indoor coverage

iansltx

Austin, TX
MetroPCs has one 700 license and no phones that support the band. They will probably sell it to AT&T once this deal is done.

tennisman94

Palm Harbor, FL
said by iansltx:

MetroPCs has one 700 license and no phones that support the band. They will probably sell it to AT&T once this deal is done.

»www.metropcs.com/metro/category/···at170022
I wouldn't call that no phones. 700mhz is the spectrum to have for indoor coverage

iansltx

Austin, TX
Show me the specs of one of those phones where it says that 700MHz LTE support is included.

Oh wait...they're all AWS/1900. It doesn't make sense, as even a semi-national provider, to get phones that support 700 LTE for a single 5x5 market.

tennisman94

Palm Harbor, FL
You're right, I was under the impression that metro had 5x5 LTE in the 700mhz space, and that's why it's so slow.

iansltx

Austin, TX
They have 1.4x1.4 LTE in some places. That's why it's so slow.