Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to lacibaci

Re: CallCentric tech issues today?

said by lacibaci:

DDOS attack or not, I think it's time for CallCentric to figure it out and come up with a solution.

No voip provider, including Callcentric, can figure out a solution acceptable for their customers.

Inbound calls could survive an attack if the customer was forced to use SIP URI forwarding instead of SIP registration. But I'm sure there would be an uproar among most residential customers.
--
My VoIP News

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

DDOS attack or not, I think it's time for CallCentric to figure it out and come up with a solution.

Doesn't some of the DDOS attack have to do with the size of the pipe? Plus you have to shut off the DDOS if you are smaller with you upstream provider of the pipes. Then you have to shut off just the attack and still let what you want through. If it is all garbage you are shutting off that may be easy enough. If it resembles traffic you want to keep it may be harder.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

Anonymous is currently attacking the Swedish government with several DDoS attacks.

Anonymous was kind to announce the attacks, to start today at 2:30pm local time, well in advance. Despite that the government was unable to prevent the attacks.

The official government site »sweden.se and many other government sites are still not reachable.

When a government is unable to stop DDoS, how should a voip provider be able?
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to VexorgTR
Even though Callcentric is my backup line, its rare to see it down. Like "blue moon" rare. I hope they can fix it soon. Has anyone tried to use an SBC IP directly rather than one assigned by the dns? I'm going to try it and see if I can get a registration up... if I do I'm not posting the ip lest it be flooded.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

Even if they had, and put a solution in place this very minute, if it was one which involved an alternate domain name, would it not take around 24 hours for the new name to propagate to all of the DNS servers out there ?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

Doesn't some of the DDOS attack have to do with the size of the pipe?

I believe it's safe to assume that Callcentric has a huge pipe. So the attack is also huge.
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to OmagicQ
I got it working..but I couldn't make an outbound call, incoming worked though.
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

I believe it's safe to assume that Callcentric has a huge pipe. So the attack is also huge.

So then size matters ?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by Davesnothere:

said by Arne Bolen:

So then size matters ?

Sometimes it does.
--
My VoIP News

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

BTW, some folks today speak of Anveo being similarly attacked not too long ago.

When was that ?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by Davesnothere:

BTW, some folks today speak of Anveo being similarly attacked not too long ago.

When was that ?

»[Other] [Anveo] Hacked ?
--
My VoIP News

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by nonymous:

Doesn't some of the DDOS attack have to do with the size of the pipe?

Not the size of say a Google or Amazon. Plus not in the range even of a large bank.
If you can not filter it and it sounds like the new attacks are harder to filter you need massive pipe size.
Plus why Anveo and Callcentric. odd choice if you were going for headlines?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by Davesnothere:

BTW, some folks today speak of Anveo being similarly attacked not too long ago. - When was that ?

»[Other] [Anveo] Hacked ?

Ah yes. - And which leads to :

»Anveo: Are there any alternatives?
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

Not the size of say a Google or Amazon. Plus not in the range even of a large bank.
If you can not filter it and it sounds like the new attacks are harder to filter you need massive pipe size.
Plus why Anveo and Callcentric. odd choice if you were going for headlines?

A voip provider could of course use Akamai, with a hefty price tag. Or do like Google, invest billions of dollars in own data centers around the world. But would customers be willing to pay for the last 0.01 % up-time?
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to VexorgTR
As for a possible mitigation strategy, would it be possible for them to limit connections to ips that have been previously used by their customers and authenticated by their system?

My ip address hasn't changed since the day I got the service i use now and I doubt it will change. I'd imagine an attack is coming from ip ranges that aren't their customers.
--

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

And which leads to :

»Anveo: Are there any alternatives?

POTS (landline or cellphone) is probably the only safe alternative. Will customers be willing to pay the price?
--
My VoIP News

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to VexorgTR
ARRRRRRG....

My long term client base isn't crying foul.. but the short term group is really raising hell. Call re-direction does work ok.

Have your CC calls sent to your MOBILE for now!!

engineerdan

join:2006-12-07
Manassas, VA
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

Ummm...

I'm not so sure about that. You might be amazed!

If this had anything to do with Callcentric running short of bandwidth, their call forwarding (which is working just fine, thank-you-very-much) would be having troubles.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to Arne Bolen

A voip provider could of course use Akamai

Price tag aside, how would a VoIP provider use a CDN?

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to engineerdan
Right.. CC is a medium player... they aren't the super big dog.. but they aren't a micro company either.

They usually thwart this stuff pretty well. But it's going to make my head explode soon if it doesn't get working.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

That would of course not be possible unless Akamai introduces new features.
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
You could make voip work on a Content delivery network but then you'd have something like the PSTN..which IS the defacto voice content delivery network.
--

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
reply to VexorgTR
Got my order in for landline a little while ago. I also notified callcentric about it. However, I will leave my review of callcentric as it is, because of these ddos attacks. My problem is that there is way too many failure points for voip.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to engineerdan
said by engineerdan:

said by nonymous:

Ummm...

I'm not so sure about that. You might be amazed!

If this had anything to do with Callcentric running short of bandwidth, their call forwarding (which is working just fine, thank-you-very-much) would be having troubles.

Call forwarding? Wouldn't incoming calls from anyone not on Callcentrics own network come in on a separate dedicated pipe? They also have SS7 and other connections. The other connections wouldn't have easily accessible information to attack using DDOS plus some would be dedicated and not public anyways.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by gweidenh:

That would of course not be possible unless Akamai introduces new features.

Good save!

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
reply to VexorgTR
any chance callcentric would credit our accounts for 10,000 minutes as courtesy for this outage?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by bigpapae35:

any chance callcentric would credit our accounts for 10,000 minutes as courtesy for this outage?

Your wish is fulfilled. You have now got 10,000 minutes of free calls to any 1777XXXXXXX phone number.
--
My VoIP News

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to VexorgTR
Looking at my log, I'm not sure how much of this is "self" inflicted. When OBi100 (and possibly others) fails to get an "OK" reply to "Register" request, it tries every couple of seconds until it gets one. Normally, a register message is sent every 30 secs but now it just keeps hammering...

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to bigpapae35
If you're on an 'unlimited' plan, the could potentially credit you a percentage of the monthly fee for the downtime. A $6 flatrate did if it was out for a whole day would net you about 1/30 of $6 or 20 cents.

If you're on per minute, you haven't lost any money if you can't make or receive calls.
--

royrogers

@rr.com
reply to OmagicQ
I think VexorgTR is on the right track. The fail2ban service built into my FreePBX box is perhaps one method that would allow them to block an IP after 10-15 failed attempts. Another method would be modifying the portal so users can whitelist their own IP address or FQDN.

While hackers would probably still be able to overwhelm the Callcentric network for a time, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. As a result, the hackers may not even try.