uniqs
share rss forum feed

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Arne Bolen

Re: CallCentric tech issues today?

said by Arne Bolen:

Yes, I know it's frustrating with issues like this. But think of the 99,9% of the time it's working.

If I was in business I would still consider a landline or (at least) more than one VoIP carrier. A 24 hour outage is a major event, even if that only equals .01% down time over the long run.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by rblizz:

If I was in business I would still consider a landline or (at least) more than one VoIP carrier.

It's always good to have backup solutions. Smaller businesses probably could do with cellphones as a backup.

said by rblizz:

A 24 hour outage is a major event, even if that only equals .01% down time over the long run.

I don't think the outage will last as long as 24 hours. Also, it's only a partial outage affecting registrations of devices.

Inbound calls are working if you divert to another phone or SIP address. I just tested an incoming call and it worked without any problems.

Outbound calls also work if you use the Click 2 Dial feature.
--
My VoIP News

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to VexorgTR
I have a small business, the way I set up my system is that u have 1 pots number that takes in all the calls, and I forward when that line is busy to callcentric for three channels, and if those channels are busy or are down it forwards to the second pots line I have. That way when I have issues with a voip carrier I can just swap them out and not notice any difference.

I really like callcentric, just funny to me that I just switched from voicepulse cause of intermittent call issues. I will just forward my calls to a backup for now but I hope this is not a start of a rocky relationship.

If they get this fixed by Monday I will stick around.

wcweaver
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to VexorgTR
This is the third time in the past week that I have "Registration Failed" on my inbound Callcentric line. All other providers are registered. I am and have been expecting very important phone calls from my doctors but both yesterday and today. A Black Eye for Callcentric.

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to VexorgTR
Down for me. Just got in the office. Needed to make a phone call. Pick up my phone, dead air. Check my PAP2, line 2 offline.

I wasn't in my office most of yesterday so I wouldn't know if there were problems.

edit: even more strange, my LEC POTS line is also having problems. Can't dial local numbers (error please make sure you are dialing the 7 digit phone number).

wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to VexorgTR
Just checked my Obi account and it has CC registration listed as failed.

I have a Google Voice account on the other SP.

Does this mean that I cannot make a 911 call?

I know I can use a cell phone for calling 911, but the main reason for getting a CC account was in order to make 911 calls.

Thanks.

scow

@optonline.net
reply to VexorgTR
now is 08:34 AM , CC isn't update her twitter.damn!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Arne Bolen

I just checked and I am currently offline in my ATA's status screen, and unregistered in the CallCentric portal.

This is worse than yesTURDay.

Fortunately I'm not a business, and do have other VoIP and a cell.

hawk82

centralmaine
reply to VexorgTR

bigpapae35

united state
" As of now services are operable and we are still diagnosing the cause of the problem. We will be informing all clients on changes to be made 8:59am - 5 Oct 12"

What does that mean, it's fixed or they are still working on it.?

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Mine is still not registering. Much too many failure points for voip.

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17

1 edit
reply to wideglide36
I would suggest that going forward, you setup your OB device for e911 failover. The way I have it setup is if the 911 call fails on SP2, it next try on Voice Gateway X, setup with another provider (CallwithUs - used primarily for International Calls) where the call is place to our Non-emergency local number. If that fails, the outgoing call is place through Goggle Voice setup on SP1 to the same local number 911 number as with the CallWithUs routed call. This way, you have at least three e911 path. The procedure to setup this up on your OBi Device is described by RonR on the OBi Forum.

»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1832.0

said by wideglide36:

Just checked my Obi account and it has CC registration listed as failed.

I have a Google Voice account on the other SP.

Does this mean that I cannot make a 911 call?

I know I can use a cell phone for calling 911, but the main reason for getting a CC account was in order to make 911 calls.

Thanks.

hawk82

centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to VexorgTR
»twitter.com/Callcentric/status/2···35686912

" We were the subject of a sophisticated DDoS attack. Now working on informing clients. For more info on type of attack: »goo.gl/yT32w "

DDoS attack, grrrr

Tom
Premium
join:2000-09-10
Chicago, IL
reply to VexorgTR
Also still unable to connect, error on my PAP2:

"Registration State: Can't connect to login server"

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to hawk82

Proper grammar would be :

"We were the OBJECT of a sophisticated DDoS attack...."

Either way, not good.

Wondering will they be PUBLICLY releasing the new info or emailing it to each customer ?

hawk82

centralmaine
reply to VexorgTR
My guess is that the DDoS attack forced them to move SIP servers to a new domain or sub-domain. So we (the customers) will have to change our configs on our devices. Just have to wait for them to release the details.

DennisD
Premium
join:2003-08-30
united state
reply to VexorgTR
Click for full size
Click for full size
It seems to be getting worse.

Pings to ping.callcentric.com are fine:

--- ping.callcentric.com ping statistics ---
141 packets transmitted, 141 received, 0% packet loss, time 140167ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.528/30.729/57.181/6.299 ms

wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to DaveSin
DaveSin, Thanks for that helpful info.

Wifey is a little concerned though and we will probably just go back to using pots as it has never failed as far as I know.

Gotta feel secure in knowing that if you need 911 that it will be there. Half the time people can't find their cell phones so the house phones have to be rock solid in this case.

Thanks.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to VexorgTR
Do you think they are confusing everyone's devices trying to reconnect at once as DDOS?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Telco:

Do you think they are confusing everyone's devices trying to reconnect at once as DDOS?

Interesting point, hehehe....

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Wondering will they be PUBLICLY releasing the new info or emailing it to each customer ?

Publicly would probably not be good. No need to feed the criminals.
--
My VoIP News

bigpapae35

united state
reply to DennisD
is there is a way for companies to stop ddns attacks?

im sure the hackers will eventually get wind of the new sip server address next week and it will happen again.

Is there no other way to deflect it, like making the address not pingable?

hawk82

centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by bigpapae35:

Getting all internet users to better protect their computers is a good start, followed by sysadmins...

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to bigpapae35
Services like cloudflare.com exist to protect companies from DDOS attacks.

In many cases, spinning up a bunch of cloud servers to take the brunt of the attack is the best defense. Although, the attackers are always coming up with ways to be more aggressive.

With Anveo and now Callcentric being hit in the past few weeks, I hope we are not seeing a new trend begin to form.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to bigpapae35
said by bigpapae35:

DDoS attacks are easy to execute due to the many millions of poorly protected computers running Windows.

The only way to make it more difficult to launch DDoS attacks would be to disconnect all Windows computers from the net, and that's not going to happen.
--
My VoIP News

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to VexorgTR
This will go down in history as SIP WARS.

Summon the Kraken!!! Erm... I mean Iscream.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by Davesnothere:

Publicly would probably not be good. No need to feed the criminals.

Exactly my point.

So PLEASE nobody should repost it here.

Of course, a 'good' criminal would also have a CallCentric account, yes ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

bigpapae35

united state
would it be possible to give each account a unique sip server, by doing that they can track the "good" criminal that is causing the flooding?

hawk82

centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by bigpapae35:

would it be possible to give each account a unique sip server, by doing that they can track the "good" criminal that is causing the flooding?

Over a new IPv6 system, yeah I bet that could be done.
Over the current IPv4 system, no not a chance. Not enough IP addresses left.

bigpapae35

united state
said by hawk82:

said by bigpapae35:

Over a new IPv6 system, yeah I bet that could be done.
Over the current IPv4 system, no not a chance. Not enough IP addresses left.

Im not sure about that, I dont think you need a unique ip address for every subdomain. So lets say every cc customers new sip server address would be yourcallcentricnumber.callcentric.com, and they closed off all the other addresses from being attacked, they could mitigate the attack.