Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere

Re: CallCentric tech issues today?

said by Davesnothere:

Wondering will they be PUBLICLY releasing the new info or emailing it to each customer ?

Publicly would probably not be good. No need to feed the criminals.
--
My VoIP News

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to DennisD
is there is a way for companies to stop ddns attacks?

im sure the hackers will eventually get wind of the new sip server address next week and it will happen again.

Is there no other way to deflect it, like making the address not pingable?

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by bigpapae35:

Getting all internet users to better protect their computers is a good start, followed by sysadmins...

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to bigpapae35
Services like cloudflare.com exist to protect companies from DDOS attacks.

In many cases, spinning up a bunch of cloud servers to take the brunt of the attack is the best defense. Although, the attackers are always coming up with ways to be more aggressive.

With Anveo and now Callcentric being hit in the past few weeks, I hope we are not seeing a new trend begin to form.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to bigpapae35
said by bigpapae35:

DDoS attacks are easy to execute due to the many millions of poorly protected computers running Windows.

The only way to make it more difficult to launch DDoS attacks would be to disconnect all Windows computers from the net, and that's not going to happen.
--
My VoIP News

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to VexorgTR
This will go down in history as SIP WARS.

Summon the Kraken!!! Erm... I mean Iscream.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by Davesnothere:

Wondering will they be PUBLICLY releasing the new info or emailing it to each customer ?

Publicly would probably not be good. No need to feed the criminals.

Exactly my point.

So PLEASE nobody should repost it here.

Of course, a 'good' criminal would also have a CallCentric account, yes ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

bigpapae35

united state
would it be possible to give each account a unique sip server, by doing that they can track the "good" criminal that is causing the flooding?

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by bigpapae35:

would it be possible to give each account a unique sip server, by doing that they can track the "good" criminal that is causing the flooding?

Over a new IPv6 system, yeah I bet that could be done.
Over the current IPv4 system, no not a chance. Not enough IP addresses left.

bigpapae35

united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by hawk82:

said by bigpapae35:

Over a new IPv6 system, yeah I bet that could be done.
Over the current IPv4 system, no not a chance. Not enough IP addresses left.

Im not sure about that, I dont think you need a unique ip address for every subdomain. So lets say every cc customers new sip server address would be yourcallcentricnumber.callcentric.com, and they closed off all the other addresses from being attacked, they could mitigate the attack.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by bigpapae35:

Im not sure about that, I dont think you need a unique ip address for every subdomain. So lets say every cc customers new sip server address would be yourcallcentricnumber.callcentric.com, and they closed off all the other addresses from being attacked, they could mitigate the attack.

It would make life a bit more difficult for the criminals but it would not stop them. They only need to divide the attack in sub attacks, one for each CC number.
--
My VoIP News

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to gweidenh

CallCentric DDoS attack

said by gweidenh:

With Anveo and now Callcentric being hit in the past few weeks, I hope we are not seeing a new trend begin to form.

This has already been posted, but it bears fuller posting on this page:

DDoS attacks reach new level of sophistication

Prolexic Technologies warned of an escalating threat from unusually large and highly sophisticated DDoS attacks.

The DDoS attacks have been launched in the last week using the so-called itsoknoproblembro DDoS toolkit. The malicious actor(s) behind the attacks have used this potent tool in conjunction with sophisticated attack methods that clearly demonstrate knowledge of common DDoS mitigation methods.

The attack signatures are extremely complex and Prolexic has recorded sustained floods peaking at 70 Gbps and more than 30 million pps against some of its customers. Most mitigation providers would struggle to combat DDoS attacks with these characteristics....

»www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13704

As was said, Anveo was recently hit by an attack, now CallCentric.

Both are companies that know what they are doing and that keep on top of their networks. So [anyone] could be next.

Here is an article from LAST October:

Massive DDoS attacks a growing threat to VoIP services

When the massive distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack in March brought down the voice-over-IP (VoIP) call processing supplied by TelePacific Communications to thousands of its customers, it marked a turning point for the local-exchange services provider in its thinking about security.

The massive DDoS attack came blasting in from the Internet in the form of a flood of invalid VoIP registration requests. The attack resulted in widespread service disruptions for a number of days in late March and cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in customer credits....

....Much of the DDoS attack streams did appear to be originating from China. But even if a botnet based on compromised Chinese computers was the source of the attack, that does not necessarily mean that someone in China is the culprit originating it, though that is a possibility....

»www.networkworld.com/news/2011/1···553.html

This is the age of Stuxnet, Flame, and Gauss. And no, that is NOT a law firm.

Some of these attacks can involve being hit by thousands of zombie/botnet machines at once. As the intensity of attacks increases, defenses will have to as well.

This is from a while back, a video representation of an attack.
»spacecollective.org/bp1320/6708/···S-attack

-----------------------------------------

The POTS/PSTN networks may not be quite as prone to this exact type of attack, but they will be targeted sooner or later too.

All the more reason to use providers like CC who keep on top of things....

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

said by PX Eliezer70:

All the more reason to use providers like CC who keep on top of things....

Those who are considering starting a small voip provider business should probably think again...
--
My VoIP News

bigpapae35

united state
reply to VexorgTR
but what the heck do they get out of attacking callcentric, why not go after the voip giants like vonage, viatalk and such?

unless this is a test on the fish before they go after the sharks.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

1 edit
said by bigpapae35:

but what the heck do they get out of attacking callcentric, why not go after the voip giants like vonage, viatalk and such?

Google "web blackmail" and you will find one answer.
--
My VoIP News

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to bigpapae35

CallCentric DDoS attack

said by bigpapae35:

CallCentric is bigger than ViaTalk these days, I believe.

-----------------------------------

Anyway, there are always various possibilities, and in today's world environment the possibility of involvement from hostiles abroad has to be considered, in addition to the possible criminal aspect and/or other factors.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to wideglide36

said by wideglide36:

DaveSin, Thanks for that helpful info.

Wifey is a little concerned though and we will probably just go back to using pots as it has never failed as far as I know.

Gotta feel secure in knowing that if you need 911 that it will be there. Half the time people can't find their cell phones so the house phones have to be rock solid in this case.

Thanks.

My house phones always end up in the couch done by my son. Why I do not buy more expensive SIP phones and just an ATA with cheap on sale DECT handsets.
My wife's cell phone because of her work stays connected to her 24/7 whether she wants it to or not.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Just checked my Obi account and it has CC registration listed as failed.

I have a Google Voice account on the other SP.

Does this mean that I cannot make a 911 call?

I know I can use a cell phone for calling 911, but the main reason for getting a CC account was in order to make 911 calls.

Thanks.

I still like having both. if the cell doesn't work my VOIP will and if VOIP is down hopefully cell is up. Increases odds of something working without breaking the bank.
Plus most important calls go to cell anyways. Home pone we have had forever still friends call our cells. Home is for doctor appointments and the like. Had it 18 years and just want to keep it.
Plus good just incase we ever go into cell overages on voice which is few and far between.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to hawk82
said by hawk82:

My guess is that the DDoS attack forced them to move SIP servers to a new domain or sub-domain. So we (the customers) will have to change our configs on our devices. Just have to wait for them to release the details.

Wouldn't the attack just move?
Plus why Anveo and Callcentric? Not major name brand players the general public would notice in the headlines?

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
reply to VexorgTR
DDOS attack or not, I think it's time for CallCentric to figure it out and come up with a solution.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by lacibaci:

DDOS attack or not, I think it's time for CallCentric to figure it out and come up with a solution.

No voip provider, including Callcentric, can figure out a solution acceptable for their customers.

Inbound calls could survive an attack if the customer was forced to use SIP URI forwarding instead of SIP registration. But I'm sure there would be an uproar among most residential customers.
--
My VoIP News

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

Doesn't some of the DDOS attack have to do with the size of the pipe? Plus you have to shut off the DDOS if you are smaller with you upstream provider of the pipes. Then you have to shut off just the attack and still let what you want through. If it is all garbage you are shutting off that may be easy enough. If it resembles traffic you want to keep it may be harder.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

Anonymous is currently attacking the Swedish government with several DDoS attacks.

Anonymous was kind to announce the attacks, to start today at 2:30pm local time, well in advance. Despite that the government was unable to prevent the attacks.

The official government site »sweden.se and many other government sites are still not reachable.

When a government is unable to stop DDoS, how should a voip provider be able?
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
reply to VexorgTR
Even though Callcentric is my backup line, its rare to see it down. Like "blue moon" rare. I hope they can fix it soon. Has anyone tried to use an SBC IP directly rather than one assigned by the dns? I'm going to try it and see if I can get a registration up... if I do I'm not posting the ip lest it be flooded.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to lacibaci
said by lacibaci:

Even if they had, and put a solution in place this very minute, if it was one which involved an alternate domain name, would it not take around 24 hours for the new name to propagate to all of the DNS servers out there ?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

Doesn't some of the DDOS attack have to do with the size of the pipe?

I believe it's safe to assume that Callcentric has a huge pipe. So the attack is also huge.
--
My VoIP News

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
reply to OmagicQ
I got it working..but I couldn't make an outbound call, incoming worked though.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

I believe it's safe to assume that Callcentric has a huge pipe. So the attack is also huge.

So then size matters ?

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by Davesnothere:

said by Arne Bolen:

So then size matters ?

Sometimes it does.
--
My VoIP News

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

BTW, some folks today speak of Anveo being similarly attacked not too long ago.

When was that ?