dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
johnkim
join:2011-10-01

johnkim to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT

Re: DTV illegal in Canada? What is the legal justification?

said by FiReSTaRT:

The topic was pretty well covered, but one argument wasn't addressed - "if you pay for it, it can't be illegal." What about crystal meth? You have to pay for that too, but the forces of law and order might have some issues with you having any amount on your person

I don't want to get into the debate of the drug policy but ask any normal person that you can go to jail if you subscribe to Dish/DTV (nasdaq symbol of directv), they will think it is insane.

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by johnkim:

Law should make sense and comply with what the society believes to be the acceptable behaviour.

If nothing else, this thread tells you why things are the way they are. It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by DKS:

It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

Acceptable to who? And legitimate to who?

I don't consider (morally or ethically) that it is a crime to "infringe on someones business model".

I see picking up a US satellite TV signal to be no different to when I was a kid and watching the Buffalo stations via a tall antennae. As far as I'm concerned, get a US post office box, US credit card, pay for it, and watch it with a crystal clear conscience. Might you get fined? Sure. You might also win the lottery.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

It is considered acceptable in Canada, mostly for copyright and licensing reasons, to not allow free access to American satellite signals. You can believe differently, but what you have is the way it is, for good and legitimate reasons.

Acceptable to who? And legitimate to who?

I don't consider (morally or ethically) that it is a crime to "infringe on someones business model".

I see picking up a US satellite TV signal to be no different to when I was a kid and watching the Buffalo stations via a tall antennae. As far as I'm concerned, get a US post office box, US credit card, pay for it, and watch it with a crystal clear conscience. Might you get fined? Sure. You might also win the lottery.

When you are bypassing the rights of the broadcasters, who paid very good money for the right to distribute a program in Canada, it's theft. That's a crime. Rationalize it any way you want, but in law, it's still theft. Don't like it? Change the law. But so far, the rights of the distributor are pretty clear. And the right to block is also grounded in law, unless you pay the distributor. That's their business model and how they make money.