Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft

Re: CallCentric tech issues today?

said by nonamesleft:

I am thinking about going back to landline.

Callcentric is more stable than a landline. IIRC it's more than two years since the last outage.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

said by Arne Bolen:

said by nonamesleft:

Callcentric is more stable than a landline. IIRC it's more than two years since the last outage.

Yep. CC has been so stable that I never even thought for a sec that they would be the issue.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to Arne Bolen

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by nonamesleft:

It seems to be, but you need a isp that is stable without problems too, which mine has been acting up for quite a while. I don't know when landline ever went out!
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

said by nonamesleft:

I don't know when landline ever went out!

My old one use to all the time, thanx to people who keep digging. So it's not fool proof.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to Arne Bolen

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

I like Callcentric ... a lot. But better than a landline? I don't think so. Fortunately I don't have a business and we've got cellphones for backup. If I had a business, my main line would be a landline. If the business was big enough, I'd probably have a couple extra incoming POTS rollover lines.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by rblizz:

said by Arne Bolen:

I like Callcentric ... a lot. But better than a landline? I don't think so. Fortunately I don't have a business and we've got cellphones for backup. If I had a business, my main line would be a landline. If the business was big enough, I'd probably have a couple extra incoming POTS rollover lines.

I've had the opposite experience, VoIP (specifically CallCentric) has been better for me than landlines. You and I had this discussion before:
»Re: Limitation of VoIP

The thing is both AT&T and Verizon have made clear that they want POTS copper landlines to be dead, literally dead, their top executives have publicly said so.
Davefred99
join:2012-08-10
Moreno Valley, CA

Davefred99

When I converted to Verizon Fios they cut and removed the copper to my home. They told me once I was on Fios digital I could not go back as this is there preferred delivery system now.
I used there Digital Fios Phone for a year and dropped it for my own Voip setup.
My point is I have no available copper options now.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Verizon is quite deliberate in their actions.

They need not maintain the copper anymore, and bring in lots of money selling it for scrap.

To Verizon these days:

a) Wireless is really good sex.

b) FiOS is average sex.

c) DSL is a quick goodnight kiss on the first date.

d) POTS is like kissing your sister or brother.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to Davefred99

Premium Member

to Davefred99
said by Davefred99:

When I converted to Verizon Fios they cut and removed the copper to my home. They told me once I was on Fios digital I could not go back as this is there preferred delivery system now.

I hope that your part of California is not sold off (dumped) by Verizon as they already dumped so much on Frontier and Fairpoint.

Frontier has been trying harsh methods to eliminate the FiOS subscribers in areas they purchased from Verizon.

The US government should never have let the phone companies re-congeal after the 1984 Bell System breakup.

Of seven regional Bells, four became the reborn AT&T (including many other assets like SNET and Long Lines) and two became Verizon (including many other assets like GTE and MCI).

The reborn AT&T/Verizon duopoly is like that black slime that killed Tasha Yar.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

The thing is both AT&T and Verizon have made clear that they want POTS copper landlines to be dead, literally dead, their top executives have publicly said so.

Which is really beside the point. The only time I've seen landlines down for an extended period of time is when the lines were physically down or cut. With VoIP, as is with the case of CallCentric now, all routes can be physically up but you still have no dialtone because of issues (corruption?) in the network's programming -- or whatever the case is here. There are many more ways a VoIP system can fail than can a POTS line.
rblizz

1 edit

rblizz to Davefred99

to Davefred99
said by Davefred99:

They didn't cut my copper line, but a tree branch broke in a storm and snapped mine. I haven't bothered to tell them because I don't use it.
hszeto (banned)
join:2002-06-05

hszeto (banned) to Davefred99

to Davefred99
said by Davefred99:

I used there Digital Fios Phone for a year and dropped it for my own Voip setup.

While we still have copper line to us, I have noticed within FiOS service area, services such as DSL or land line with copper wire simply no longer available or cannot be ordered. In fact, I would prefer they take copper line and recycle it as copper is more valuable than ever.

Communication via copper wire is thing in the past, just like pause (rotary) telephone. Eventually you will only find them in museums.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by hszeto:

said by Davefred99:

While we still have copper line to us, I have noticed within FiOS service area, services such as DSL or land line with copper wire simply no longer available or cannot be ordered. In fact, I would prefer they take copper line and recycle it as copper is more valuable than ever.

Communication via copper wire is thing in the past, just like pause (rotary) telephone. Eventually you will only find them in museums.

Its pretty clear IP based phone is too unreliable and too many failure points. I would rather keep what has a proven record.